It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:27 am

Post subject: Let's talk about rental companies and sketchy/cheap areas
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:45 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

I'm going to be paying rent month to month at my current place in a couple of months because the building is having some serious pest control issues. I currently rent from Broadway Management Group, and I have a good deal on my current place - $390 with everything included - but I'm going to have to move out if I want any hope of being able to rest peacefully.

There's a pretty good chance that I'll have to end up renting from them or one of the city's other slumlords. It's not preferable...which is why I'm making a post. If anybody knows of anything reasonably (read: low class and cheap but not a total hellhole) priced in Old Louisville, downtown, or the Highlands, please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about rental companies and sketchy/cheap area
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:46 am 

Oh, and please share stories about shitty places you've lived. That might make me feel better about feeling like a stranger in my own home.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:20 am 
Forum Super Soldier

It takes more time but I had a lot better luck biking around Old Louisville and calling every for rent sign I saw. Of course then you could end up with a shitty landlord. We also looked at a lot of properties through Arete real estate. They seemed legit enough but it was really overpriced imo. We were looking for a 2BR in the 600-700 range and most of them did not have laundry anywhere on site.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:53 am 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

I've heard that Peterson Popham is terrible.

Ein neuer, böser Tanz. Alle gegen Alle!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 am 

Old Man of the Mountain wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 am 
Forum Super Soldier

little_atlas_heavyweight wrote:

I've heard this a lot. I rented an apartment from them when I was 18, and it sucked ass. I rented a different apartment from them when I was 25, and it was pretty awesome. It was huge (in the big building across 2nd St. from Manual). Didn't ever really have any problems, and they usually responded quickly to any need or issue that I had.

I rented a studio at Ormsby & Garvin years ago. A "nice" little old couple rented me the apartment. The air conditioning/heat was controlled by the landlord, and they were constantly knocking on my door bothering me about some bullshit. When I moved out they refused to give me back my security deposit because they accused me of running a meth lab. The bathroom ceiling paint was peeling, since they had absolutely no ventilation in the room. There was a floor to ceiling window with wooden shutters, so even if you opened the window to vent the steam, it was still blocked by the shutters (Unless of course you wanted all of the crackheads and hookers outside to watch you shower). They refused to understand that it was steam, not chemicals, that caused the paint to peel. I sent them the renters checklist. I think there are about 12 things on the list that the landlord is supposed to do (one of which is placing your security deposit in a seperate account). They failed to do almost everything on the list, including walkthroughs (before & after), so they were required by law to return the deposit.

I was gonna say that you probably get what you pay for, but the little studio cost more than my huge 2 bedroom apartment on 2nd Street.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:38 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I'm pretty sure Peterson Popham is now synonymous with Broadway Management Group, or perhaps they've morphed into one. Rumor has it that P.P. had so many complaints against them over the years, that they tried to get away from the stigma simply by renaming themselves, but I'm not sure.

There are going to be naysayers any which way you slice it, but I personally have had decent luck with Bailey Properties in the past (no affiliation whatsoever, seriously). They've always been quick to remedy any problems I've had including the installation of a new roof, new HVAC unit, new fridge, and countless other concerns. They also seem über flexible when it comes to policies involving pets, and also very fair in offering a month-to-month lease after a required one-year lease is complete. I personally don't have any complaints whatsoever regarding this management company.

Of course having a private landlord can certainly have its perks, too...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 pm 
Message Bored Minion

I used to do property maintenance in old Louisville for like 4 different groups, painting,drywall, appliances, roof leaks, plumbing, that sort of thing.Surprisingly, I don't really have a lot of bad things to say about any of them. Some of the buildings were actually pretty bad, but they were always quick to address whatever complaints came up.However, on the flip side of this, I had at one point master keys to 22 buildings I was called to semi-regularly.I would be all up in people's apartments fixing plumbing and ceilings that had leaked and everything else when nobody was home.This is all well and good, I'm a solid guy, but the landlords didn't know that and made no effort to find out - ever.Not one of them even asked about a criminal background, most didn't even ask my last name or anything.Of all of them, Arete is actually the most sensible in this regard, as they have a maintenance staff of actual employees whom they know, though they sub out a lot of the make-ready stuff to bidders between tenants.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:15 pm 
Master and Commander

Sean Bailey wrote:
There are going to be naysayers any which way you slice it, but I personally have had decent luck with Bailey Properties in the past (no affiliation whatsoever, seriously). They've always been quick to remedy any problems I've had including the installation of a new roof, new HVAC unit, new fridge, and countless other concerns. They also seem über flexible when it comes to policies involving pets, and also very fair in offering a month-to-month lease after a required one-year lease is complete. I personally don't have any complaints whatsoever regarding this management company.

Sean, I'm glad you have no relation to the rental company bearing your family name. :)

I rented an apartment from a rental property company for several months who I really liked, but without warning they sold the property I was in to Bailey. They were pretty good with maintenance issues, but as soon as I went month-to-month on my lease they informed me rent would go up $30. That was reasonable enough though because the apartment was real cheap to begin with. Two months later, they informed me that they would be raising rent again by an additional $50. So I wrote them a letter saying I'd be moving out. Now here's my real gripe: they stood me up for the end walk-through we had scheduled (which I remember I had to leave work to accommodate their hours), then the office manager lied about it and said he DID go there, and then refused to give me my deposit back. Chalk that one up to experience I guess, but I didn't really know what to do about it (and still don't) aside from hiring a lawyer, which I didn't have money for, so I was S.O.L. on the deposit. The conversation I had with the manager that day put me in one of the most bitter and enraged moods I've ever felt. Still pisses me off to think about it now, years later.

My current landlord is JASA Properties. They don't usually put their name on their listings, but their phone number is 425-5691. Most of their rentals are in Germantown. They are fucking terrible to deal with. For anyone reading this, you have been warned.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:50 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I called Legal Aid, and they sent me the forms to forward on to my landlord.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:12 pm 
Message Bored Minion

I've had better luck leasing from individual property owners. I have never found a large property management company I could jive with.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:13 pm 

Bailey was awful. I ended up living downstairs from Carl Fucking Brown and his bi-polar stoned ass flooded my living room and rained bathwater on my records and turntable. Ruined my ceiling and ended up with a whole in my ceiling no less than 3 times. Their maintenance crew was a NIGHTMARE and couldn't actually figure out how to fix it so they'd just stick dry-wall on the ceiling until the motherfucker got stoned and forgot he was running a bath... again... and then tried to apologize with a mason jar full of wild-flowers and knife-throwing lessons for his girlfriend's gummo-ass son right outside my bedroom. DID I MENTION I LIVED DOWNSTAIRS FROM CARL BROWN GODDAMMIT THAT SUCKED.

Bailey also jacked the rate up on my apartment and did the final walk-through without me. Screwed me out of most of my deposit and then didn't really want to tell me WHY.

My next landlord was a dream but I don't think he has any openings at the moment. My apartment on Eastern was immaculate and cheap. I still miss that place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:14 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

adie wrote:
Bailey was awful. I ended up living downstairs from Carl Fucking Brown and his bi-polar stoned ass flooded my living room and rained bathwater on my records and turntable. Ruined my ceiling and ended up with a whole in my ceiling no less than 3 times. Their maintenance crew was a NIGHTMARE and couldn't actually figure out how to fix it so they'd just stick dry-wall on the ceiling until the motherfucker got stoned and forgot he was running a bath... again... and then tried to apologize with a mason jar full of wild-flowers and knife-throwing lessons for his girlfriend's gummo-ass son right outside my bedroom. DID I MENTION I LIVED DOWNSTAIRS FROM CARL BROWN GODDAMMIT THAT SUCKED.

Bailey also jacked the rate up on my apartment and did the final walk-through without me. Screwed me out of most of my deposit and then didn't really want to tell me WHY.

My next landlord was a dream but I don't think he has any openings at the moment. My apartment on Eastern was immaculate and cheap. I still miss that place.

As in, The Plain Brown Rapper, Carl Brown?!?

No matter how ya slice it, that is a horrific story. I figured there had to be some bad experiences out there when it came to Bailey Props, and I'm glad to get more of the scoop... Gauging from Andrew's and your stories it looks like I'm in for a real treat when I finally decide to move. :shock: Seriously, thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:37 pm 

Sean Bailey wrote:

The one and only. There's not room for two of those batshit motherfuckers in this town.

Sean Bailey wrote:
No matter how ya slice it, that is a horrific story. I figured there had to be some bad experiences out there when it came to Bailey Props, and I'm glad to get more of the scoop... Gauging from Andrew's and your stories it looks like I'm in for a real treat when I finally decide to move. :shock: Seriously, thanks for the heads up!

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 pm 

adie wrote:
Sean Bailey wrote:

The one and only. There's not room for two of those batshit motherfuckers in this town.

I don't know that guy, but he looks like a low-rent Hunter S. Thompson when I've seen him around. I'm not judging the guy one way or another, but he certainly has no qualms with looking like a strung out mutant all of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:37 am 
Forum Super Soldier

no fun wrote:
Oh, and please share stories about shitty places you've lived. That might make me feel better about feeling like a stranger in my own home.

My very first place, many many moons ago, was the basement apartment directly next to what's now the tattoo parlor at Speed and Bardstown--at the time a lesbian teahouse. The place reeked of industrial roach spray, though that didn't deter the fuckers in the least. The "heat included" was a couple of pipes along the ceiling leading from the boiler to the radiators up in the house proper. To get warm when I was awake, I'd turn the gas stove burners on high. At night I had a crappy little $15 electric space heater parked about a foot away from my face and the furnished sofa I slept on. The wonder being I didn't perish burning the place down. Best/worst of times, to paraphrase Dickens. Ahh, to be 19 again...NOT!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:06 am 
Master and Commander

adie wrote:

Oh, that reminds me of another thing. My shower also leaked through the floor onto the neighbors below. Bailey couldn't fix it and they didn't want to spend the money to pay someone who actually knew what they were doing. This went on for like 6 months, having random repairmen show up (often unnannounced) and Bailey accusing us of being "messy bathers" or some nonsense. It was still leaking when i moved out.

Also, there was a goth couple on the first floor who got evicted. I thought people were squatting in there so I called the cops. When they came and checked it out they found a dog locked inside that they said probably hadn't eaten in 4 or 5 days. Classy place, that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:34 am 

Unannounced repairmen are the worst. Given, I work second shift and go to sleep really late...but yeah. The worst part is that they won't just stick around to repair whatever while you sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:55 am 

i rented from bailey once the place seemed legit it was off speed ave in the highlands. new neighbor moved into the basement and would blare radio rap all night like i couldn't sleep or hear myself talk, people screaming, i could smell pot through the floor vents. i call and complained and bailey told me "it would be over soon" because they used the basement apartment to lease out to prison/halfway house releases. oh and after i called and complained the dude kicked off my side mirror and busted out my window to my car(i assume). one day the police show up because they find a stolen car parked infront of the house it was the guys in the basement. all while this is going on bailey refused to kick this guy out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:28 am 

maxson wrote:
no fun wrote:

Ahh, to be 19 again...NOT!

i didn't live in a shitty place, but when i was 19 i lived on the top floor of a three story house in a kick ass apartment owned by my best friends dad. he fucked up and got the power shut off, i didn't have money to open a new account, so i lived for almost three months off one power strip connected to an extension cord that ran to the second floor of the house next door, where my best friend lived. i had a fan, a PS2 that could only play dvds, and a shitty tv. it was the summer and hot as fuck.

good times!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 am 

adie wrote:
Sean Bailey wrote:

I don't know that guy, but he looks like a low-rent Hunter S. Thompson when I've seen him around. I'm not judging the guy one way or another, but he certainly has no qualms with looking like a strung out mutant all of the time.

Oh I am certainly judging him. And harshly. Terrible neighbor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:44 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

paulw wrote:
i didn't live in a shitty place, but when i was 19 i lived on the top floor of a three story house in a kick ass apartment owned by my best friends dad. he fucked up and got the power shut off, i didn't have money to open a new account, so i lived for almost three months off one power strip connected to an extension cord that ran to the second floor of the house next door, where my best friend lived. i had a fan, a PS2 that could only play dvds, and a shitty tv. it was the summer and hot as fuck.

good times!

yeah dude, friends and family are my favorite. The house we're in now is in stephen's dad's name, but they were letting steve's severe alcoholic grandma live there for at least 10 years. When she was placed in one of those places where old people go to be old, we got to move in. The entire carpet downstairs was soaked in cat piss. The carpet's been replaced for more than a year and you can still smell it everywhere. we were chasing rats out for the first few weeks, cleaning up rat shit from every corner of the house. Biggest fucking flies I've ever seen in my life, some ten plagues kind of shit, because we there were a few months between when she moved out and we moved in, and of course nothing had been cleaned in years. GOD I can still smell the overwhelming cat piss. There was so much wrong with the house when we moved in I'm sure I'll remember more later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:47 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

if there were rats present, maybe that wasnt cat piss, but actually drunk grandma piss.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:43 am 

XloydtilldeathX666 wrote:
if there were rats present, maybe that wasnt cat piss, but actually drunk grandma piss.

no cat piss is the worst. i pee in the shower every morning and smells ok. my girlfriends cat pissed on my dogs bed and it went in the trash, worst smell ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:57 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

XloydtilldeathX666 wrote:

yeah im sure that is whats in the couch. good eye