It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 am

Post subject: Let's talk about Southern Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:40 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I love Louisville with a passion... I just wanna go ahead and get that out of the way. And as most of us are already well aware of, Louisville has a lot to offer in the way of entertainment, culture, outdoor activities, epicurean adventures, etc. We also are all too familiar with that silly "this side of the river, that side of the river" banter that further separates us (Louisville) from them (Southern Indiana). With jokes aside, I thought I'd make a post pertaining to some of the finer things that Southern Indiana has to offer. This list, of course, is far from being comprehensive or complete in hopes that others would weigh in add to the list of what gives Southern Indiana some added appeal. And yes, I officially had too much time on my hands today. :)

Sportsdrome Speedway
http://www.sportsdromeonline.com/
1207 Kopp Lane-Jeffersonville, Indiana
Easily my top pick for things to do in Southern Indiana. I started off going to Louisville Motor Speedway 10+ years ago, but ever since they closed down Sportsdrome is where it's at. They have weekly races, usually on Saturday nights April through October. Plan on getting there early enough to get a decent seat, because even though the place hold several thousand people, folks love to show up early. Definitely bring a blanket or stadium chair to sit on because the bleachers can be a bear after a few hours. I HIGHLY recommend going this Saturday night, July 3rd, for their annual Independence Day festivities. The races will be comprised of the usual Figure 8 and oval, but in addition will feature the incredibly entertaining (if not absolutely ridiculous) School Bus figure 8 races, Boat/Trailer Race (where they race around the track with boats and/or trailers attached to their vehicles), Chain 8 (multiple cars chained together while racing), and the Blind Driver Race! Last time I saw them do the Blind Driver Race, the driver was given a bag to cover his head while someone in the passenger seat told him when to turn... Full on disaster, but incredible fun to watch. Decent prices on hot dogs, nachos and cheese, pickles, treats, and ice-cold yellow fizzy beer. Some of the best people watching this side of the Mason-Dixon line, too. I can't recommend this place enough!

Georgetown Drive-In
http://www.georgetowndrivein.com/
Plenty can be said about Georgetown Drive-In. It is definitely something I look forward to every year in the warmer months. It's cheap, it's fun, you can bring your own food and drinks very easily. There concession stand is pretty righteous, and when they have them, you definitely have to get their donuts. Pop the tailgate and set up shop, bust out some lawn chairs, or get on the top of your roof.

La Rosita
http://louisville.about.com/od/fooddrink/fr/larositareview.htm
One of the best authentic Mexican restaurants in the vicinity. I've only been to the one on 1515 E. Market St. in New Albany, but I've heard they may be either moving or opening up another location closer to the Bank Street Brewhouse in downtown New Albany.

Deam Lake
http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/4825.htm
1217 Deam Lake Road
Borden, IN 47106
Only about 20 minutes from downtown Louisville, this lake that's open to the public features "a beach," camping, concessions, hiking trails, and rowboat rentals. It can get pretty crowded here, especially on the weekends -- but for the small price of admission (about $5.00 for carload) it is well worth the short trip. Rent a rowboat for another $20 and pretty much have the lake to yourself. By paddling away from the beach portion of the lake, you bypass all of the riff-raff and can swim in the lake from anywhere. Only oars, paddles, and electric motors are allowed on the lake which helps maintain the tranquility of the area. If you're into fishin' this is a decent spot for luring in bass and panfish. Although pretty short in distances, they have a few trails that go along the lake and the hiking is decent, It makes for a good day trip, or extend it into a multi-day adventure by camping and cooking out on one of their provided grates. Note: for further consideration consider Indian and Celina lakes in Hoosier National Forest. It's a bit longer drive (about an one-and-a-half hours), but offers some great hiking opportunities, swimming, camping, and mountain biking.

Cave Country Canoes
http://www.cavecountrycanoes.com/
You kind of have to pick the right time to go, but after a good rain or even a few days after, this can be a really fun day trip. It's about 35-45 minutes from Louisville, and they offer canoe/kayak rentals for a self guided trip down a portion of the Blue River. After a decent rain, the pace of the river is a bit more brisk allowing more opportunities for paddling through ripples and small rapids (not nearly as great as the Elkhorn Creek near Frankfort, KY, but then again, this is a post about Indiana). They offer half day (2-4 hours), full day (4-7 hours) and two day trips. Pack a picnic and drinks and milk that day trip like there's no tomorrow.

The Widows Walk Cafe & Ice Cream
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/widow.shtml
415 West Riverside Drive -- Clarksville, IN
Great place to go that's right across the river from most of us. This place is right on the river offering ice cream and hot dogs, and one of the best views of the skyline of Louisville anywhere. Makes for a great bike ride from Louisville across the 2nd Street Bridge!

The O'Bannon Woods State Park (formerly Wyandotte Woods State Recreation Area)
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2976.htm
7234 Old Forest Road SW
Corydon, IN 47112
One of the best places for "car camping" close to Louisville. It's far enough away that is sparse on crowds (especially throughout the week) but close enough to Corydon, IN (which is also a great little Southern Indiana town) and Louisville to convenient. Plenty of hiking trails and clean campgrounds, and very close to Cave Country Canoes if you wanted to make a trip out of it. Patoka Lake is nearby as well for fishing, boating, swimming, etc. There are also several opportunities for spelunking in the area if you're into caving.

Clifty Falls State Park and Historic Madison, Indiana
http://www.stateparks.com/clifty_falls.html
http://visitmadison.org/
Only about an hour away, Clifty Falls State Park offers some exceptional hiking and camping opportunities. There are, as the name implies, some pretty great waterfalls (especially after a good rain) and several bluffs and bouldered canyons that can be hiked. Madison offers some serious southern charm, interesting shopping (a lot of antique stores), and an array of eateries -- everything from posh sit-down style cuisine to some pretty fantastic greasy spoons.

Of course there is always Holiday World (which is seriously awesome) and Paoli Peaks in the winter, but most folks already know about those places. There is also a lot to do in Hoosier National Forest, including some great mountain biking. Some honorable mentions include: Clark State Forest for camping, Green Tree Mall for people watching, Charlestown State Park, and many others.

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about Southern Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:26 pm 
Message Bored Minion

I can vouch for the Georgetown Drive in and La Rosita, both great places. Haven't been to the ice cream place you described though. I usually go to this one place called "Mom and Pop's" for ice cream. They have two GIGANTIC boards displaying the various types of ice-cream. Some of the names I remember are Razz McTazz, Chocolate Frog, and the humongous Don't Throw the Baby out with the Bathwater, which comes in half of an egg carton and has about 5-6 scoops of ice cream with a wide variety of toppings. They also have some food there- hot dogs, fries, etc - which are okay, but sub-par. Their address is 1817 Graybrook Lane.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:24 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

This list is a big bag of FAIL without listing the best goddamn pizza in the area...Richo's aka NABC. All you lushes will love the beer selection as well. http://www.newalbanian.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:49 pm 

shivelycore wrote:
This list is a big bag of FAIL without listing the best goddamn pizza in the area...Richo's aka NABC. All you lushes will love the beer selection as well. http://www.newalbanian.com

Can you at least not hate when people are posting about how awesome they think your smellsville is? Seriously? I mean, I know you hate alcohol, but surely you love decent food and local business. Richo's is good. Just say that without hating. Damn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:54 pm 

little_atlas_heavyweight wrote:
shivelycore wrote:

Can you at least not hate when people are posting about how awesome they think your smellsville is? Seriously? I mean, I know you hate alcohol, but surely you love decent food and local business. Richo's is good. Just say that without hating. Damn.

I meant lushes tongue in cheek, calm down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:32 am 
Master and Commander

devilspalm16 wrote:
I can vouch for the Georgetown Drive in and La Rosita, both great places. Haven't been to the ice cream place you described though. I usually go to this one place called "Mom and Pop's" for ice cream. They have two GIGANTIC boards displaying the various types of ice-cream. Some of the names I remember are Razz McTazz, Chocolate Frog, and the humongous Don't Throw the Baby out with the Bathwater, which comes in half of an egg carton and has about 5-6 scoops of ice cream with a wide variety of toppings. They also have some food there- hot dogs, fries, etc - which are okay, but sub-par. Their address is 1817 Graybrook Lane.

is mom n pops the place over just off grant line?

Far Out Music has THE BEST new keyboard selection in town as far as IN STOCK WHEN YOU WANT IT. Plugged in and ready to play. Roland, Moog, Dave Smith Instruments, Korg, etc. Their pa/home recording/drum selection is really good too. All peavy all the time in the guitar department but they did have some of the new hagstrom's when i was in there last week. Plus if you're lucky you get to hear dudes trying out new karaoke equipment singing weird out of tune sounding vietnamese versions of 80s rock.

New Albany downtown is awesome. Bank Street Brewery, Toast, Wicks, farmers market twice a week, http://www.carnegiecenter.org/ (across the street from Bank St. Brewery), maybe still a little skatepark down by the ampitheatre (plus like a really cool ampitheatre, and of course Harvest Homecoming.

The Rock Wall (if its still called that) restaurant up in floyds knobs is really good. A natural rock wall is part of the decor inside the restaurant. A bit swanky as far as the prices and atmosphere, but the food was tits on tits.

The Keg and Bridge Liquors (Clarksville/New Albany) are amazing beer stores. Before the Beer Depot downtown they were the ONLY place in town I could get certain beers. The Keg is STILL the only place in town I can get certain import and craft brewed beers I like. If you drink and have not been to The Keg you should be punching yourself in the face with a full can of natty ice light. Bridge has a great selection too and occasionally a belgian or micro I can't find anywhere else. REMEMBER THOUGH NO BOOZE SALES IN INDIANA ON SUNDAY!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:42 am 
Message Bored Minion

DD wrote:
devilspalm16 wrote:

is mom n pops the place over just off grant line?

Yeah, I think it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:52 am 

I pretty much only go over there to get drunk on awesome craft beer or eat Mexican food. The Bank Street Brewery is tops.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:18 am 

There is a plaque dedicated to the (fallen) drummer of Nazareth on the New Albany Ampitheater. Ben Cundiff's high fat sub sandwiches killed him. Ask Ben about it.

I'm not joking about this plaque.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 am 
Forum Super Soldier

little_atlas_heavyweight wrote:
There is a plaque dedicated to the (fallen) drummer of Nazareth on the New Albany Ampitheater. Ben Cundiff's high fat sub sandwiches killed him. Ask Ben about it.

I'm not joking about this plaque.

True stories.

Suuuuuubs huuuuuuurt..............

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:00 am 

this list rules, its like you planned a few weekends for me and my girlfriend!

also i can't believe i've never been to Rich O's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 am 
Master and Commander

paulw wrote:
this list rules, its like you planned a few weekends for me and my girlfriend!

also i can't believe i've never been to Rich O's.

come on, seriously?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:01 am 

The worst part is that Graham has a gift certificate to there for eight people to do a private tasting with the owner, and he still hasn't used it.

Someone take me!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:18 pm 
Message Bored Minion

DD wrote:
devilspalm16 wrote:
The Keg and Bridge Liquors (Clarksville/New Albany) are amazing beer stores. Before the Beer Depot downtown they were the ONLY place in town I could get certain beers. The Keg is STILL the only place in town I can get certain import and craft brewed beers I like. If you drink and have not been to The Keg you should be punching yourself in the face with a full can of natty ice light. Bridge has a great selection too and occasionally a belgian or micro I can't find anywhere else. REMEMBER THOUGH NO BOOZE SALES IN INDIANA ON SUNDAY!!

What micro and craft brews do they have that no one else does? If someone around here carried Terrapin (Athens, GA) beers, I'd tattoo the name of their business on my ass.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:20 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I think the biggest thing the keg has going for it that you can't get in louisville is that they are able to stock new belgium. Other than that most of the time LBS can hook it up.

I was at one concert at the ampitheatre on the river, I think before it flooded?, and it was a great place but I haven't heard about anything awesome happening there.

Paul you are failing up this thread, get to richos. Hasn't graham had that gift certificate for a long ass time now?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:43 pm 

Over a year. He got it for his 21st birthday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:06 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

I like the guy, but man, what an asshole!
paulw wrote:
Over a year. He got it for his 21st birthday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:11 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

DD wrote:
The Rock Wall (if its still called that) restaurant up in floyds knobs is really good. A natural rock wall is part of the decor inside the restaurant. A bit swanky as far as the prices and atmosphere, but the food was tits on tits.

Sadly, I'm not sure that this place exists anymore... I tried calling them within the last year and their phone number had been disconnected. Went to their website and it was shut down. It's a shame, because as you mentioned, this place had great food and desserts as well as an incredibly unique dining room setup. Hopefully someone else has since moved in.

DD wrote:
New Albany downtown is awesome. Bank Street Brewery, Toast, Wicks, farmers market twice a week, http://www.carnegiecenter.org/ (across the street from Bank St. Brewery), maybe still a little skatepark down by the amphitheater (plus like a really cool amphitheater, and of course Harvest Homecoming.

Truth.

shivelycore wrote:
Richo's aka NABC aka Sportstime Pizza

Good call on this one. Love their pretzels with beer cheese and upside down pizza!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:46 pm 
Message Bored Minion

sabo wrote:
I think the biggest thing the keg has going for it that you can't get in louisville is that they are able to stock new belgium. Other than that most of the time LBS can hook it up.

Awesome, gonna go pick up some Fat Tire today!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:02 pm 
Master and Commander

Darringer wrote:
DD wrote:
devilspalm16 wrote:

What micro and craft brews do they have that no one else does? If someone around here carried Terrapin (Athens, GA) beers, I'd tattoo the name of their business on my ass.

if they dont carry it talk to them. they might be able to get it. indiana has much more lax distribution rights or something and therefore gets more beer than kentucky. i remember back in aught 94 having to drive over to richos to pick up cases of this newly discovered microbrew called sierra nevada because it was not distributed in kentucky.

new belgium has slowly been expanding their distribution network since the late 90s when i lived out in colorado. at first they could only get guaranteed refrigerated deliver within "x" miles and they demanded, at the time, that their beer stay cold from brewing to drinking. im not sure if they still want that but i see it warm in lots of places these days. indiana got it maybe two years ago. if you like the fat tire i recommend you buy the cans. it tastes much more fresh. be sure and check out any seasonals they have. the mothership whit and the summer wheat are both amazing and so are the double and tripel but i dont think they distro those this far away from colorado.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:05 pm 
Master and Commander

oh yeah. they carry stuff from some michigan and wisconsin brewries i have never seen in kentucky. i think third coast is the name of the one that picked up pete celis's recipes. they do his gran cru and celis white. both great beers.

but yeah. just go check it out man. it rules. its over on the main drag in clarksville. if your going away from the highway its just past the mall and next to where the marks feed store used to be.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:19 pm 
Message Bored Minion

this place (though currently the reason my entire body is caked in poison ivy)...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:19 am 
Forum Super Soldier

i feel retardeded for not knowing but quarry is the spiderland cover from ryan?

also all of those roads down past the casino are awesome motorcycle/bicycle rides. +1 southern indiana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 am 
Forum Super Soldier

I'm pretty sure the quarry from that picture is the one off of Gene Snyder in Middletown.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:35 am 
Forum Super Soldier

sabo wrote:
i feel retarded for not knowing but quarry is the spiderland cover from ryan?

That's pretty cool... I had no idea this photo was taken in Southern Indiana!

On a somewhat related note (though not so much related to this thread) it looks like Spiderland is currently in the process of getting the ol' remaster treatment by Bob Weston up at Chicago Mastering Service -- tentatively scheduled to coincide with the album's 20th anniversary next year. Word on the street is that it will include a couple of bonus tracks/alternate takes of Pam and Glenn, and perhaps a video portion containing some live footage and other goodies.