It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 am

Post subject: LHxC comp?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 pm 
Darth Crabcore

If your band wants to be on the comp, send me an MP3/WAV/M4A whatever file before MONDAY APRIL 4TH AT NOON.
the email address for this is louisvillehxc at g mail dot com (spaced for spambots, you can figure it out i think)

My desire for a layout will probably be simple and easy and quick. I'll most likely use CDRs for the actual disc but I'll be sure to make em look good. Anyone interested in helping can get in touch with me too. I wouldnt mind making upwards of 500 of these to give every band on it at least 25 copies if need be so they can saturate the world.

ALL BANDS ARE WELCOME. It's about getting the music out there for everyone to hear and turning people on to new shit. This is using hardcore as a broad term, not just the specific style of music. If too many bands actually come through with this I'll just start on Volume 2 right off the bat, as cd's do have limits on time and space and all of that.

Songs may be unreleased, released, special, whatever. Preferrably no covers because that's not really a representation of your band. Maybe in the future well all get together and cover Minor Threat's discography or something and put it out. But thats another tangent.

What I will need:
Your bands name and members
Contact info (email, bandcamp, myspace, whatever)
Lyrics to the song
Who recorded your song so they get credit

If you think you'll flake maybe you should email me first and put your name in so I can remind you in a few weeks.

123-GO

UPDATED 1/24/11 WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW.

Last edited by duncan on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LHxC comp?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:55 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Count Lee Van Cleef in, not that we're particularly representative of anything other than curmudgeonly old dudes with beer guts and lazy boys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:56 pm 

obviously both my bands are in.

great idea, i think louisville bands need to help each other play outside of the city more. lets get back to the maximum louisville tour days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:56 pm 
Darth Crabcore

little_atlas_heavyweight wrote:
Count Lee Van Cleef in, not that we're particularly representative of anything other than curmudgeonly old dudes with beer guts and lazy boys.

you guys rip though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Shit, Chris said something the other night about that comp being delayed/not coming out now and I meant to ask him about it and didn't. If it's just a matter of lining up materials/cost problems, I was going to offer a hand.

duncan wrote:
I know there was one going around before, but I was thinking earlier it'd be cool to do a simple comp of a bunch of bands that are local right now, make copies and give them to all the bands so they can take them to shows and people can know how we do here. i know a lot of kids go up to indy and go to other shows but itd be really helpful to all the bands to have a song and contact info on what you could maybe call "a demo of the city". any ideas?

id be more than willing to get this together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:52 pm 
Master and Commander

my only worry is that too many bands will want to jump on and then the comp idea will be forgotten while two or three bands hold everybody up on getting their "songs mixed." I think the key to this will be setting a deadline within the next couple of weeks, so that bands don't think "oh, we'll just record a song for the comp real quick..." which leads to missing deadlines or shoddy work. The other key will be to STICK TO THE DEADLINE. If you didn't get your shit together soon enough or didn't hear about it in time, YOUR LOSS. Hate to be an asshole here, but we as musicians are often procrastinators and can be flighty, but when collaborating on something this big, we have to shit or get off the pot.

So my advice: get bands to submit something already recorded and ready to go, it doesn't matter if it has already been released or not, chances are no one from out of town (nor a large majority of in-town folks) have heard it before. Additionally, whoever is spear-heading this operation, don't be afraid to hound people for songs, that's what i did for the audio flyer. Bug the shit out of people, over the internet, facebook, in person. Make sure you give them ample opportunities and reminders to get songs to you. that way they can't complain when the comp comes out without their band because they couldn't get their shit together enough to send an mp3.

now, as far as funding. I feel like the leader of this is going to have to bear a lot of out-of-pocket expense. I know a lot of people will back the idea but when the collection plate comes around, suddenly they go quiet. so whoever is wanting to pull the strings better be ready to foot the bill.

/two cents

All that being said, I want to see this happen. We are long overdue for a concerted group effort like this. Now that Skull Alley is gone, we will have to work harder at keeping musicians united across genres. Let's make this work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:58 pm 

CULLEN FOR SCENE KING!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:07 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

paulw wrote:
CULLEN FOR SCENE KING!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:30 pm 
Master and Commander

Way to go Cullen! It's awesome to see more "shot calling" going on.

I'd love to do anything I can to help with this.

I feel like a lot of times people tend not to help out on these big projects because they seem to lack "legitness." I think if we make a good effort to get the word out on the compilation, and let people know there are people that are behind the project that make things happen it can be a success.

There are a lot of smart, talented, and creative people that I've met through shows, and through this board. I really think if we worked hard toward something together it could be something great. Organization, and communication is key.

Last edited by NickHaynes on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:33 pm 

maybe make it a solid month? like, everything due by Feb. 12th?

aka everyone go record with Trip.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:35 pm 

We have something recorded. It just needs vocals and Bob Rock production.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:47 pm 
Darth Crabcore

Cullen makes strong points. Here's whats up.

If your band wants to be on the comp, send me an MP3/WAV/M4A whatever file before MONDAY FEBRUARY 14TH AT NOON.
the email address for this is louisvillehxc at g mail dot com (spaced for spambots, you can figure it out i think)

My desire for a layout will probably be simple and easy and quick. I'll most likely use CDRs for the actual disc but I'll be sure to make em look good. Anyone interested in helping can get in touch with me too. I wouldnt mind making upwards of 500 of these to give every band on it at least 25 copies if need be so they can saturate the world.

ALL BANDS ARE WELCOME. It's about getting the music out there for everyone to hear and turning people on to new shit. This is using hardcore as a broad term, not just the specific style of music. If too many bands actually come through with this I'll just start on Volume 2 right off the bat, as cd's do have limits on time and space and all of that.

Songs may be unreleased, released, special, whatever. Preferrably no covers because that's not really a representation of your band. Maybe in the future well all get together and cover Minor Threat's discography or something and put it out. But thats another tangent.

What I will need:
Your bands name and members
Contact info (email, bandcamp, myspace, whatever)
Lyrics to the song
Who recorded your song so they get credit

If you think you'll flake maybe you should email me first and put your name in so I can remind you in a few weeks.

123-GO

Last edited by duncan on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 pm 
Master and Commander

Rick Rubin is gonna help Straight A's get our career back on track with some Nine Inch Nails covers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:49 pm 

andrewpadon wrote:
Rick Rubin is gonna help Straight A's get our career back on track with some Nine Inch Nails covers.

You should do that one that's dark.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:55 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Dude, like, if you want our song, I like need to know how many units we get and what percentage of the sales we get dude.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:57 pm 
Master and Commander

I've been thinking about logistics of this comp idea more.

A big part is going to be how to make this appealing to people in town as well as out of town. I know personally if some band who was good but not my style of music was pushing a comp (even for $5) at a show, I most likely would not buy it. I'm just being honest. I know a lot of us don't have the disposable income to be tossing a fiver at a musical gamble, considering we haven't heard of any of the bands on the comp except the one we're buying it from.

I think the first order of business should be to contact a few extant, regional/nationally notable Louisville bands (Young Widows, Lords, Coliseum, Xerxes, etc.) in order to get an unreleased track on to put on the comp. This will increase the chances that your average Louisvillian and your average show goer in other cities will have something the can familiarize with enough to drop some coin on it.

From there things should be easy. I'm sure any and every band affiliated with Louisville Hardcore would jump at the chance to share a CD with the likes of any of the afore mentioned bands. If you (being the prime organizer) are overcome with submissions, simply start charging bands to jump on so that you can cover the overhead of printing and packaging.

I'll keep thinking and pitch more ideas as I get them. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm 
Master and Commander

shit, totally missed duncan's post before. Still relevant, somebody should pull some strings/call in favors/start learning to properly fellate in order to secure some unreleased tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:01 pm 

flexyournoggin wrote:
Dude, like, if you want our song, I like need to know how many units we get and what percentage of the sales we get dude.

This too. Bryan and I get like nothing but brown M&M's. Remember.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

I want a blue dot of edible paint on each one. AND I'LL CHECK EACH ONE TOO DAMN IT.
little_atlas_heavyweight wrote:
This too. Bryan and I get like nothing but brown M&M's. Remember.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:14 pm 
Darth Crabcore

Cullen wrote:
shit, totally missed duncan's post before. Still relevant, somebody should pull some strings/call in favors/start learning to properly fellate in order to secure some unreleased tracks.

I will be contacting some people but like I told Bryan, "the point of a comp like this is to help bands help each other and if they want to be involved they need to be assertive". Not saying I wont try to get some good shit on there, but I definitely am not going to track everyone down to get a song, you gotta help yourself son.

Speaking of - I was thinking this could be free but then again if we charged for such things it could help bands out as well. I was moreso thinking of a bizarre cd release show for it where there is a random group of bands playing and everyone comes out and has a good time and gets a disc and the door money pays for it the costs. Honestly, I could care less about making my money back. If I had a total for all the money i've put into things over the past 8 or so years and not recouped it'd probably make an accountant cry.

Do it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:19 pm 
Master and Commander

I know this seems counter-intuitive to my above statement, but I'd be willing to throw in a substantial amount. It makes it easier to pitch in when you know the address and workplace of the dude putting it on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:28 pm 
Darth Crabcore

Cullen wrote:
I know this seems counter-intuitive to my above statement, but I'd be willing to throw in a substantial amount. It makes it easier to pitch in when you know the address and workplace of the dude putting it on.

YOU DONT KNOW ME

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:41 pm 

duncan wrote:
Cullen wrote:

YOU DONT KNOW ME

THATS MY PURSE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 pm 
Darth Crabcore

COULD BE TOMORR-NOW!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:14 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I'm all for this.

1000 copies of bulk, printed CDs are $495 (500 is $450, but why not spend the extra $45?).
plastic sleeves = $75 or so
copies of a simple 1 color foldover paper = no more than $100 (assuming it's paid for)

say approx $700 total costs.

also say 20 bands come through with a track and split the cost evenly, which would be $35/band and each band would get 50 copies to give away, or shit we can all hold out until Krazyfest and give them all away then so out of towners grab 'em up.