It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: LHxC comp?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Doing this over Band Camp in a digital format would be a lot more effective if you're trying to reach people outside of Louisville...not to mention it's going to be easier to promote via the internet, since there's no middle man involved like a record store. Two clicks from Facebook, $5 later, and they have all the tracks on their computer. Doing a special run of physical copies for a show with a limited run for Ear-x-tacy makes a lot more sense to me than to sink a bunch of money into 10 cent discs that will be sitting around for a long time.

Compilations are weird. Even though they end up sitting in the used bin or getting thrown away, they're sometimes still one of the most important and influential records you'll ever hear. You never know.

Sometimes, less is more. That's just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:19 pm 
Darth Crabcore

Adam - I thought about setting up a bandcamp for the comp, and having all the tracks on it for free/cost.

Im really open to any and every idea people have. We could make just simple copies to hand out and have it be digital or go full out and have a show to recoup money spent on making a legit release.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:34 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

though i like the idea of free downloads/free disks, etc....i think that by going with physical cd's with proper pressing, nice artwork, etc. and charging for them you add inherent value to the music. how many free cd's have you gotten that you've never listened to? if you give them the appearance of value, and sell them at a very low price the people who buy them will actually listen to them and appreciate it. if they cost 70 cents to make, sell them for a buck or 2. they might take a little bit more time to get rid of, but any costs incurred will be recouped

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm 
Message Bored Minion

Jackalope is definitely down for this, we're hopefully recording at the end of the month anyway. I like the idea of selling them/giving them out at Krazy Fest, then also have it on bandcamp. Maybe also a release show could be set up with the comp on handmade CD-R's for a couple of bucks or free with whatever the cost of admission is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:12 pm 
Master and Commander

I'd like to get Old Vikings in on this, although we are more metal than hardcore. Do you require a new recording for said compilation or would something already recorded be ok?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:21 pm 

Doug Walker wrote:
I'd like to get Old Vikings in on this, although we are more metal than hardcore. Do you require a new recording for said compilation or would something already recorded be ok?

Make it new so that we can hear more Old Vikings!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:36 pm 

Nightmare Music wrote:
though i like the idea of free downloads/free disks, etc....i think that by going with physical cd's with proper pressing, nice artwork, etc. and charging for them you add inherent value to the music. how many free cd's have you gotten that you've never listened to? if you give them the appearance of value, and sell them at a very low price the people who buy them will actually listen to them and appreciate it. if they cost 70 cents to make, sell them for a buck or 2. they might take a little bit more time to get rid of, but any costs incurred will be recouped

I respectfully disagree. Unless you include a zine or make something really limited or special, people ignore most physical media with the exception of vinyl these days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 pm 
Master and Commander

paperdubs wrote:
Doug Walker wrote:

Make it new so that we can hear more Old Vikings!

Try coming to a show if you want to hear more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:07 pm 
Darth Crabcore

I wouldnt mind including a page for each band on the comp to make a mini-zine style insert. I really think a physical copy could be awesome, it could include a bandcamp download and we could also to have it on bandcamp to download it for a price.

My only question is, what do I do with charging for it? Start a label? Put out records? Keep doing comps? Buy everyone Denny's?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 pm 
Master and Commander

Denny's

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:23 pm 

duncan wrote:
I wouldnt mind including a page for each band on the comp to make a mini-zine style insert. I really think a physical copy could be awesome, it could include a bandcamp download and we could also to have it on bandcamp to download it for a price.

My only question is, what do I do with charging for it? Start a label? Put out records? Keep doing comps? Buy everyone Denny's?

Recoup the costs, first off. Figure out what to do after you know how much money you have. Unless of course you want to donate it to somebody. Does Jason Noble still need money? Make these comps a benefit for Jason and you will be able to sell a bunch of them and help him out at the same time. Or shit, make them a comp to help Jamie get out of debt for Skull Alley. You couldn't go wrong with that, either. (I would actually really like to see that happen.) Donate to ASPCA. Name a pet cause.

When you attach a good cause to a good idea, it usually helps both mutually. If you do a zine with this, I would love to contribute.

200 might be a good number of physical copies to make, since:

A) It's a realistic number to make and not go broke
B) It's the number of free downloads available through Band Camp

If it were me, I would do 200 zines / discs through Kinko's (wink wink) and see if David Brooks would be willing to print 200 discs. Maybe do a small, DIY zine with a paper sleeve in the back to hold the disc. Include a download code for these physical copies. Not only would it be awesome, but it wouldn't be just another CD in a jewel case (which people fucking throw away.) Sell it for as cheaply as possible (less than $3 is undercutting, $5 is a little pricey unless the profits are going to a good cause,) and see how it does. If it does well, do them every quarter or annually.

I would be cautious about turning these things out really quickly without putting a lot of crafting, time, and effort into them. These days, if anybody is gonna buy anything, it's gotta be worth their money, and they're gonna want to appreciate what they just bought. People still buy the shit out of books. CD + book = book. I'm not sure how that equation just worked...but it definitely makes sense.

There haven't been a lot of steady zines in recent years, either. It would be refreshing to have a good one around.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:45 pm 

Brightskull wrote:
also say 20 bands come through with a track and split the cost evenly, which would be $35/band and each band would get 50 copies to give away, or shit we can all hold out until Krazyfest and give them all away then so out of towners grab 'em up.

That's a fucking great idea.

Just for the record, I'm down with putting $35 toward this. I don't want any copies.

EDIT: If this is something people are interested in, it should be just the CD in a sleeve, semi-professional looking, and somebody should ask the promoter if these could be included to the first X number of people who come to the show to get wristbands.

Last edited by no fun on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:56 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

people don't buy comps anymore. period. digital or not.

however, i'd argue that physically handing someone a free comp (or probably more effectively having them sit on a table for people who want them OR getting like-minded distributors to include them with orders as freebies) is way more effective than a bandcamp free (or donation-based) download. That is, unless you guys want to keep promoting your music to the same incestuous network of louisville musicians and their friends who have already heard your songs or at least heard of your band.

20 bands post on their facebook pages/a couple of blogs that there is a free louisville comp download. who is going to see it/care about it that doesn't already know the bands?

I feel like a combination of a free download AND a free physical Cd that's given out with a concentrated effort to get it into the hands of people who we don't already see all the time at shows is the ultimate awesomeness, but if I had to choose one I'd choose physical CD in terms of effectiveness in a punk rock missionary sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:02 pm 

duncan wrote:
I will be contacting some people but like I told Bryan, "the point of a comp like this is to help bands help each other and if they want to be involved they need to be assertive". Not saying I wont try to get some good shit on there, but I definitely am not going to track everyone down to get a song, you gotta help yourself son.

If you want people at Krazyfest to look at this CD and decide to keep it and listen to it, you should definitely consider soliciting Coliseum and Young Widows for released or unreleased tracks. They're both two of our city's biggest musical exports, and having them on the track list will make people hold onto these things instead of tossing them.

I know if somebody gave me a sampler at Pitchfork or whatever that had Shellac and 15 other bands I'd never heard of, I would be 90% more likely to keep it and listen to it for that reason alone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:11 pm 

Brightskull wrote:
people don't buy comps anymore. period. digital or not.

however, i'd argue that physically handing someone a free comp (or probably more effectively having them sit on a table for people who want them OR getting like-minded distributors to include them with orders as freebies) is way more effective than a bandcamp free (or donation-based) download. That is, unless you guys want to keep promoting your music to the same incestuous network of louisville musicians and their friends who have already heard your songs or at least heard of your band.

20 bands post on their facebook pages/a couple of blogs that there is a free louisville comp download. who is going to see it/care about it that doesn't already know the bands?

I feel like a combination of a free download AND a free physical Cd that's given out with a concentrated effort to get it into the hands of people who we don't already see all the time at shows is the ultimate awesomeness, but if I had to choose one I'd choose physical CD in terms of effectiveness in a punk rock missionary sense.

If Krazyfest is going to be a once a year thing, maybe this should be too. I mean...that's when the greatest influx of new listeners you can physically give these things to will be in town.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 pm 
Darth Crabcore

Already asked Widows and they declined. Waiting to hear back from Ryan about Coliseum.

I feel like physical copies are the only way to really get this out and into people's hands. Downloads will not make people get it, like Jamie said. I'd like to see tons of these around everywhere and going with bands who play out of town and with kids who live all over the country. I could easily get them in friend's distros around the region so people take them on their own.

I feel like charging for them could be awesome and donating it even awesomer. The only issue is having more exclusive tracks than tracks that people could have already heard. If it's free then people get it and wont be like "oh ive heard that already"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:05 pm 
Master and Commander

How good do you want the recordings to be? Like what kinda quality?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

What Jamie mentioned giving them to distros to include as freebies with orders isn't a horrible idea either. Every time that's happened for me I've at least listened to the damn thing. As far as who to actually contact about doing that I have no idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:43 pm 
Darth Crabcore

Doug Walker wrote:
How good do you want the recordings to be? Like what kinda quality?

Preferrably good studio quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:58 pm 
Master and Commander

Are you guys still considering the zine-type thing to go with the physical comp? I think a real DIY looking one-page for each band, a couple of questions, lyrics to their track, live picture.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Quick! Someone please put up that snazzy "Michael Jackson eating popcorn in the theater" gif! The Homer Simpson will work too. Please, continue! This is entertaining and informative! Can't wait to see what's next!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 pm 
Master and Commander

SEVERS wrote:
Quick! Someone please put up that snazzy "Michael Jackson eating popcorn in the theater" gif! The Homer Simpson will work too. Please, continue! This is entertaining and informative! Can't wait to see what's next!

Only because I love you so much Severs.

But seriously...

Duncan, we could potentially get you something that we haven't released with OV, but I don't know that we could get into a studio and have it ready in 1 month. Would you be ok with a good 8 track?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 am 
Master and Commander

Duncan: You need to give people more time if you want quality recordings. Like April. Then there's still time to make Krazyfest.

Seriously folks, if you need help mixing/mastering send me a message.

I know several bands with songs in hand ( :shock: ) that should get on this. Don't make me name names.

FWIW one of my favorite records is IN NATIVE SOIL. Just looking at the cover makes me smile.

One good reason to make hard copies (not that bandcamp isn't a good idea too):
Tangibility is still real. Everytime someon comes into the studio they look around the room and start looking at books, records, and such. They pick it up, look at it, read the liner notes. In 15 years will you be able to find that awesome compilation record you downloaded the day before your laptop was stolen or your dog ate your ipod thinking it was your cellphone? Just had to say it. Work is slow today. /rant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:37 am 

TripBarriger wrote:
Duncan: You need to give people more time if you want quality recordings. Like April. Then there's still time to make Krazyfest.

Seriously folks, if you need help mixing/mastering send me a message.

I know several bands with songs in hand ( :shock: ) that should get on this. Don't make me name names.

FWIW one of my favorite records is IN NATIVE SOIL. Just looking at the cover makes me smile.

One good reason to make hard copies (not that bandcamp isn't a good idea too):
Tangibility is still real. Everytime someon comes into the studio they look around the room and start looking at books, records, and such. They pick it up, look at it, read the liner notes. In 15 years will you be able to find that awesome compilation record you downloaded the day before your laptop was stolen or your dog ate your ipod thinking it was your cellphone? Just had to say it. Work is slow today. /rant

Name names.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm 
Darth Crabcore

The more I think about it - maybe itd be better to plan on having it come out around krazyfest? maybe even have the release show be may 19th? the night before? we can distribute tons of copies and all of that for it.

see the KF thread for my zine in addition to the comp idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next