It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:38 pm

If there were a punk/hardcore travel guide to Louisville, what should the format be?
Zine 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
Pamphlet/Leaflet 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Online Guide (blogspot, facebook, or perhaps Louisvillehardcore.com addendum, Master Volz?) 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Other (hopefully elaborated on below) 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
The whole idea is dumb, and un-punx, fuck you. 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: The Louisville Hardcore guide to Louisville
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:20 pm 
Master and Commander

duncan wrote:
id love to see a louisville zine come out around the time of KF - perhaps with this comp were discussing? it can just be a packet of the city's awesome shit maybe with some coupons from local spots and stuff?

so i've been thinking a lot about this lately. I thought i could poll everyone for a consensus.

If I (or a team of folks, idealistically) were to fabricate something of this sort for Krazy Fest that highlighted local businesses and attractions while catering to a more punk/counter-culture (for lack of a better term) audience, what do you think the best form of distribution would be? Could a zine be feasible? or would a leaflet be easier? should it just be an online resource, or would people appreciate and use it if it were sitting at a table at Krazy Fest? Please vote or share some ideas if you can.

The cool part about something like this would be that it could continue to be useful beyond Krazy Fest. It would be a good resource for people visiting Louisville whether they are in town for a big show, traveling through/visiting family, or just on vacation/tour.

Post subject: Re: The Louisville Hardcore guide to Louisville
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

You could always go both online and physical. Online for folks to see before coming into town, so they can make plans, and physical for the people at the fest who didn't plan ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 pm 
Master and Commander

I'm also going to use this thread as a scratch pad for a potential table of contents.
in no particular order:

1. Food
-Sit-Down Restaurants
-Carry-Out/Diners
-Bars
-Desserts/Snacks

2. Outdoors
-Map of Greater Louisville
--Parks
--Neighborhoods
--Historical Landmarks/Museums
-Biking
-Swimming/Sleding/other seasonal activities

3. Shopping
-Music
--Record Stores
--Instruments/Band Equipment
-Clothing
-Specialty

This is all I could brainstorm in 10 minutes. Please feel free to add anything you can see I've omitted. Keep in mind, this will look pretty run of the mill in terms of subject matter, but the substance will be more privy to stuff punk/hardcore/indie/whatever kids will be into.

Potential ideas for guess columns/recommendation blurbs:
-Bike hot spots by Couriers or members of Louisville Bike Polo Society
-Restaurant recommendations for whoever crowns him or herself reigning gastronaut
-What if you have kids/families to keep in mind? (recommendations from a Family Man)

i'll think of more...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 am 

Keep Louisville mysterious, elitist, and shitty.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 am 

hey volz, can you register "www.google.com" so that people can type things in and get information about the city?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:22 am 

this came up once before cullen. this sounds like a good idea id love to help get at me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 am 
Vegeta of the innarwebs

Mike Bigtime wrote:
both online and physical.

this. online version should be smartphone friendly/optimized. maybe even an app if you're feelin' mighty ambitious.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:14 am 
Master and Commander

haas wrote:
hey volz, can you register "www.google.com" so that people can type things in and get information about the city?

yeah, this is where i am having the hardest time convincing myself this will be worth my while. People could just simply use a google search to get a lot of useful information, but i have found that when I do this for other cities, I come up with a lot of dead ends (whether it be closed businesses or things under construction) plus a nearly-overwhelming amount of useless information to sift through. I want to create a resource that makes it way easy. Would people (in the punk commmunity) appreciate an easy guide to Louisville, or do you think it would go largely unread?

Then again, I think this wiki does a pretty good job of covering all the cool stuff: http://wikitravel.org/en/Louisville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:19 am 
Forum Super Soldier

corey wrote:
Mike Bigtime wrote:

this. online version should be smartphone friendly/optimized. maybe even an app if you're feelin' mighty ambitious.

Thirded.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:21 am 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

BabyPop wrote:
corey wrote:
Mike Bigtime wrote:

Thirded.

fourth step. all your friends where are they now?

Ein neuer, böser Tanz. Alle gegen Alle!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:28 am 
Forum Super Soldier

BabyPop wrote:
corey wrote:
Mike Bigtime wrote:

Thirded.

Fourthed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:38 am 

totally agree with the smartphone comment.

the physical zine wouldn't need to be too intense if the online version is really well done.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:37 am 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

There can be an online component, but it's not going to have an app unless someone around here has paid Apple $300 or whatever to be a app store developer and knows C#. That, and the content would have to be just about finished and sorted like two weeks ago in time to properly plan out a full usable app and begin production, testing, incorporate the inevitable revisions, plus wait for Apple to approve it and get it into the app store.

As far as a website, I can load up stuff but I don't have much time to do some intricate site for the info though I'm happy to host it here. A lot of the same considerations about content/structure being needed right now apply as well. If Thommy or someone with similar skills can help out that would be great.

If you're doing a zine, you need to start talking to sponsors this week too. Because to be worth it to most people coming in town, you're going to need several thousand copies printed. Unless it's a one-pager that can be hooked up at Kinko's, there's going to be a bit of $$ involved in sending this to a printer, even if it's just on newsprint (as I seem to remember earlier versions from previous KFs being on).

corey wrote:
Mike Bigtime wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:29 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Yeah how much information are you thinking for each location Cullen? Like an address and one sentence, a few sentences, anything at all? Form follows function biatch.

I think a short 1 sentence description is really all you need so you might even be able to fit it on a single paper and kinkos it up. There's no reason for an app unless I'm totally missing something. A smartphone friendly site is a good idea though, especially since it will make it easier for people to get directions to shit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 pm 
Vegeta of the innarwebs

flexyournoggin wrote:
There can be an online component, but it's not going to have an app unless someone around here has paid Apple $300 or whatever to be a app store developer and knows C#. That, and the content would have to be just about finished and sorted like two weeks ago in time to properly plan out a full usable app and begin production, testing, incorporate the inevitable revisions, plus wait for Apple to approve it and get it into the app store.

corey wrote:
Mike Bigtime wrote:

sorry, i realized it would be a lot of work and meant to add something along the lines of, "if you're feelin' mighty ambitious". OH WAIT I DID.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:51 pm 

sabo wrote:
Yeah how much information are you thinking for each location Cullen? Like an address and one sentence, a few sentences, anything at all? Form follows function biatch.

for restaurant info i think its important to include if they have vegan/vegetarian options, and price range. i mention the price range only because i used to consider Ramsis an awesome cheap place to recommend to bands in town, but since they changed their menu they're raised prices again. still not horribly expensive, but not as cheap as it once was.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:56 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

If you need an expert on places to go in Louisville to induce gout, I am your man.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:12 pm 

Sean Bailey wrote:
BabyPop wrote:
corey wrote:
Mike Bigtime wrote:

Thirded.

Fourthed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:54 pm 
Message Bored Minion

One thing you should try to avoid is the worn out method of making a travel guide warm and friendly, it's been entirely played out.On the other hand, terse and menacing would probably be a lot less fun to make." 1: An alley you can piss and/or vomit in. This alley is great. 2:The Freeway ramp, now go home before we fuck you up."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 pm 

Live by the bored... wrote:
terse and menacing would probably be a lot more fun to make.

FYP

3. Here is a map of all the Applebee's restaurants. Stay out of our local businesses or get fucked.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:20 am 
Message Bored Minion

I think that tattoo shops should be included. Anywhere you'd take someone you really liked who is visiting from out of town. Places you want people to spend money and places they would need to know when visiting, or would likely want to check out, paper and online would rule. But I voted for 'zine because I am terribly sentimental.

Or someone could just make a really extensive list on yelp*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:55 am 

hey guys, we should just make a treasure map with detailed instructions that lead the person to an alley. and then we take their money.

reverse fucking treasure map. get rich.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:10 am 

haas wrote:
hey guys, we should just make a treasure map with detailed instructions that lead the person to an alley. and then we take their money.

reverse fucking treasure map. get rich.

i want there to be a like button so bad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 am 

also i'd be happy to contribute for things that pertain to my interest, comic book stores and other nerdery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:03 pm 
N00Benstein

Cullen wrote:
I'm also going to use this thread as a scratch pad for a potential table of contents.
in no particular order:

1. Food
-Sit-Down Restaurants
-Carry-Out/Diners
-Bars
-Desserts/Snacks

2. Outdoors
-Map of Greater Louisville
--Parks
--Neighborhoods
--Historical Landmarks/Museums
-Biking
-Swimming/Sleding/other seasonal activities

3. Shopping
-Music
--Record Stores
--Instruments/Band Equipment
-Clothing
-Specialty

This is all I could brainstorm in 10 minutes. Please feel free to add anything you can see I've omitted. Keep in mind, this will look pretty run of the mill in terms of subject matter, but the substance will be more privy to stuff punk/hardcore/indie/whatever kids will be into.

Potential ideas for guess columns/recommendation blurbs:
-Bike hot spots by Couriers or members of Louisville Bike Polo Society
-Restaurant recommendations for whoever crowns him or herself reigning gastronaut
-What if you have kids/families to keep in mind? (recommendations from a Family Man)

i'll think of more...

I used to be in the bourbon bandits. And they did a map style thing that was a simplistic map of louisville that showed where particular good stuff in the highlands was w/ menu highlights for food and so on for the annual rally.