It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about stories from shows of yore.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:19 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

flexyournoggin wrote:
I didn't remember the show getting shut down. A friend lived about 3 blocks away, and we were going back and forth all day. I must have missed it. I'm pretty sure that was the day that I picked up "The shitty demo" from you all though.

I remember that Veggie Vault show - I saw Samson, Castner and McAfee but had to leave to play a show at Primizee's (so it must have been 97/98). I missed that window drama and BTGOG too. Why the hell did he throw a guy through the window?

seanroberts wrote:
All of that is correct. We were supposed to play there with Trademark & Month of Sundays (and others, maybe Castner?). The guy who set the show up screwed up on the end time. We set up to play and the cops shut it down. We moved the show to my house in Springhurst and ended up with a 300 person party.

I remember Samson playing a show at Veggie Vault with By The Grace Of God, Castner & McAfee (maybe '96?). My friend Jay Durbin threw a guy through the window.

The show was supposed to end at 7, the guy told us we had until 8.

I don't know why Jay threw him through the window, but I think it was Ragen Daley. In fact, the first time I met Ragen was at the Sancred "Reunion" at Highland Post (with Hedge, Wino & someone else?). I was introduced to Ragen, then someone walked in and punched him right in the face, knocking him out of the folding chair he was sitting in. Then they picked up the chair, smacked him over the head with it, and then left. I also watched that guy get hit by like 6 different cars.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:50 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Halloween '99: when Ryan Patterson's car got shat on and Andy Schanie got tackled by an irate preacher.
I know no backstory really, i just witnessed the events.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:20 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Daisy wrote:
Halloween '99: when Ryan Patterson's car got shat on and Andy Schanie got tackled by an irate preacher.

That was that guy Phil's car.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:37 pm 

Daisy wrote:

A few facts about that show and those incidents:

1. Andy dressed up in blackface. He introduced the band by saying "We's be Bodyhammer." He made a lot of anti-religious comments, which is what ultimately riled up the preacher guy. I'm sure the preacher guy wasn't exactly pleased by the blackface, but I like that it was the anti-religious sentiment that set him over the top.

2. It was Phil Stosberg's (spelling?) car. He was in the National Acrobat. This was an extension of, even if only tangentially, the East End vs. South End kids thing.

I'm not advocating any of this stuff one way or another, but it was funny.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:42 pm 

little_atlas_heavyweight wrote:
[1. Andy dressed up in blackface. He introduced the band by saying "We's be Bodyhammer."

This was an extension of, even if only tangentially, the East End vs. South End kids thing.

How do i not remember this? I made a tape recording of this show, he definitely says this, but somehow i have no recollection of it. Weird.
Yeah, I never really understood what went down or why ripping up a picture of mike harpring was involved. It was just pure craziness to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:23 pm 

Daisy wrote:
[1. Andy dressed up in blackface. He introduced the band by saying "We's be Bodyhammer."

This was an extension of, even if only tangentially, the East End vs. South End kids thing.

How do i not remember this? I made a tape recording of this show, he definitely says this, but somehow i have no recollection of it. Weird.
Yeah, I never really understood what went down or why ripping up a picture of mike harpring was involved. It was just pure craziness to me.

The National Acrobat folks had some beef with Mike Harpring. I believe you can hear them yell that on some recording or something. So Bodyhammer folks fired back. It was like a dis battle, but with no emcees.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:49 pm 

This isn't directly related, but I forgot how much I love/loved the Seaside Panel. it's been a little while since I gave it a listen.
Syd, did you all ever put any of this on cd or the internets anywhere?

This isn't a crazy story, but I remember the Seaside Panel show at Pandamonium with the Red Meat comic on the flyer was particularly awesome. I think y'all played part of an Iron Maiden song or something. Great show, i think Drifts Get Deeper played too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:08 pm 

Daisy wrote:
This isn't directly related, but I forgot how much I love/loved the Seaside Panel. it's been a little while since I gave it a listen.

This isn't a crazy story, but I remember the Seaside Panel show at Pandamonium with the Red Meat comic on the flyer was particularly awesome. I think y'all played part of an Iron Maiden song or something. Great show, i think Drifts Get Deeper played too.

We played some fun shows. We played one at the Mercury Paw with, shit, I don't remember, maybe Trim or something. Anyways, we were really young, and some of us were still minors, myself included. We played the show, but had to stay in the back most of the time, so I spent the evening playing chess with Jon, our drummer, who was like 15 at the time. After we played this super-drunk guy came up to us, all impressed with our chops. He imparted the following wisdom: he was part jew and part mexican, which made him a Jewsican. He was friends with the guy who signed the Wu-Tang Clan, and he claimed to be able to hook us up. At the time, I was not impressed. Now... I'm still not impressed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:10 pm 

Daisy wrote:

I can sendspace it to you, if you'd like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:37 pm 

seanroberts wrote:
From what I've heard there's another whole album, but Rob never recorded the vocals. PAGING TB.

Yep. Ryan, Greg and I recorded another LP's worth of Ousia songs. About 3/4 of them were songs they had already written with Joe and Jason before they left the band. Ryan Stratton hopefully still has the recording - they only thing missing is the vocals. Rob never got around to doing them because he moved to Colorado.

SEVERS wrote:
I have audio recordings of the show and have always thought that the Ousia set should be released, as is, as it's own record. To this day, I have never heard another band who does what they did.

I think I may have a copy of this too. Got it from Ryan S. years ago. They start one song off aloud and I messed up their count by heckling.

Some of fondest memories were from Tewligans. I'll try to think of some good stories.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:45 am 
N00Benstein

"Weird to think that a lot of MTV metalcore bands played the small room at the BRYCC coming through in the early part of last decade. One of my favorite memories was playing with Coheed and Cambria. Their guitarist came up to tell me that he liked our set. I told him flat out that I thought they sucked. Ah, memories."

That was a great show, except for Coheed and Cambria. When you told him that he looked like you shat in his Cheerios. Ah, fun times. The show with the Faint where I broke off a tuning peg on Dan's head was fun, too, but that was when Shawn was still in it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:54 am 

Daisy wrote:

I can sendspace it to you, if you'd like.

I got a sendspace acct and sent you a pm, friend.