It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Post subject: Sub-dude Fest
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:08 am 
Message Bored Minion

Otherwise known as Krazy Fest 2011. First of all, the ideology of keeping things affordable that has graced the previous Krazy events, is apparently dead. The spirit of punk and hardcore only flickered with the presents of very few. The whole thing has been capitolized and sold, which is okay, nothing wrong with appealing to everybody, but when you pay the price, and are still told where to come, where to go, what to do. Well, that's not so much okay.
First day of the fest, my wife wanted to go just to see Against me and Hot water. She didn't want to go saturday and sunday. So, as I had purchased two weekend passes online, I figured I had two free one day passes, right? I mean, I already paid for this shit, in March! So, our drummer really wanted to see 7 Seconds on saturday, and another friend of mine wanted the sunday.
This was flat out denied to me by some prick with baby blue eyes, I forget his name, but he was not a cool guy about this at all. He was a corporate ass monkey. "This rule is too stupid not to break", I thought to myself.
I cut the wrist bands off her and taped them on my friends the other two days. Otherwise, I would have paid for two full day passes for noone. And he came right out and said, "I don't care, I'm not going to refund your money, it has to be the same person every day."
Well, excuse me, pal. But a big fuck you goes out to whoever this guy was, although not just him. The general atittude of some of the staff, as well as some of the "kids" was found to be rather unfriendly/evasive.
What? Lucero is not only closing things out, but playing AFTER Samiam. O yeah, really? Ok.
Krazy Fest, ain't nothing crazy (with a "k") about you anymore, except maybe all the judo/kungfoo coreography and head grabbing. That was pretty.....amusing. I however, have an over-all, good experience with the fest, considering I have been to every one (the very first being by far the best) but as Mr. blue eyed prick said, "that was then, this is now.", I'll try to remember that. I guess we should all just give in. Independence seems to be giving in to an organized religion of another kind.
To top it all off, we where booked to play at the Rudyard Kipling saturday after the show. We get there, haul in our shit, then when our set comes up - we are told - WE CANNOT PLAY, some booking miscommunication. Or was it? I have my doubt.
Anyhow, Louisville, I still love you. But Teen Pregnancy! christ, you can be a dirty fucking whore. And when it comes to music festivals, if it ain't a Squirrel Bait or Gorrilla Biscuits reunion, somethin' like that, I no longer give a FUCK.
This is a rant. Pay no attention, for I guess I don't know shit. Things will get better. Thank you, guys and girls!

Post subject: Re: Sub-dude Fest
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:57 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:43 pm 
Master and Commander

I see where you're coming from, kind of, but I also see the other side - the planning and stress and huge financial risk that goes into putting these things together. If everyone bought a weekend pass at the discounted rate and split it up, a festival would lose a LOT of money. Condoning that behavior would be shooting themselves in the foot. I hope I'm not spoiling some big secret here, but yesterday afternoon they seemed pretty nervous they were even going to break even. A lot of people see these ticket prices and think it's corporate greed or something on the part of the organizers, but really the tickets were priced at what they needed to be to make it all happen.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:47 pm 
Message Bored Minion

i bought the earlybird 3 day pass for $75, and was so tired on sunday that i didn't even go, and i still got more than my money's worth. i had no problem with the price at all

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:01 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I had something thoughtful typed up but this communicates how I feel about this much more honestly:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:56 pm 
Master and Commander

On second thought, i'll maintain my silence on all things krazyfest.

Last edited by Doug Walker on Mon May 23, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm 
Master and Commander

Doug Walker wrote:
I was thinking more like...it sure would be cool if Krazyfest had something to do with the city they throw it in. Might as well hold that shit on 4th street live if you're gonna ignore all the local brands. I await the flames of the underlings with great anticipation.

"Brands" or bands?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm 

quite a few local bands played

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:05 pm 
Master and Commander

andrewpadon wrote:
Doug Walker wrote:
I was thinking more like...it sure would be cool if Krazyfest had something to do with the city they throw it in. Might as well hold that shit on 4th street live if you're gonna ignore all the local brands. I await the flames of the underlings with great anticipation.

"Brands" or bands?

bRands...I agree there were indeed local bands on the bill...I always feel like they don't put enough local bands on it though...difference of opinion. I suppose if i had the resources, time, patience, and ability to handle immense stress, I could put on a fest and have it how I want it...but I digress.

I'm talking about concessions etc. Several local company's put in bids and were outright ignored.

Again though, I have a rather negative opinion of the whole krazyfest thing because I'm not on the same page with it. I try to make a point to keep my mouth shut, because politics in this town are what they are. I definitely think they would have gotten more local support had they given more local support, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:17 pm 
Master and Commander

Im in a local band who played Krazy Fest. There were several other local bands who played and I can pretty much speak for everyone when I say this whole weekend was awesome and I completely support it happening again next year.

That being said I hear the whole "KF needs more local bands!" thing all the time and heres my take on it. Who's gonna want to fly/drive all the way to Louisville to see a ton of locals? It makes all the sense in the world to have a few bands from the area play but for the fest to be mostly locals would kind of go against the idea of it being a fest with national appeal. The bigger bands on the bill make the fest exciting to both people locally and from out of state. If anything the packed after-shows were basically an all night local showcase and if you look at the pictures youll see quite a few unfamiliar faces in the crowd.

Our scene here in the last couple of years has been unreal and Krazy Fest is just another positive to throw in the mix. If you look at the big picture I honestly dont see how anything negative could be said about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:31 pm 
Darth Crabcore

kLucius wrote:
Im in a local band who played Krazy Fest. There were several other local bands who played and I can pretty much speak for everyone when I say this whole weekend was awesome and I completely support it happening again next year.

That being said I hear the whole "KF needs more local bands!" thing all the time and heres my take on it. Who's gonna want to fly/drive all the way to Louisville to see a ton of locals? It makes all the sense in the world to have a few bands from the area play but for the fest to be mostly locals would kind of go against the idea of it being a fest with national appeal. The bigger bands on the bill make the fest exciting to both people locally and from out of state. If anything the packed after-shows were basically an all night local showcase and if you look at the pictures youll see quite a few unfamiliar faces in the crowd.

Our scene here in the last couple of years has been unreal and Krazy Fest is just another positive to throw in the mix. If you look at the big picture I honestly dont see how anything negative could be said about it.

I couldn't agree more. Next year I would like to see bigger local bands (like Xerxes or Coliseum) play better slots, but thats just me. Being said, I had more fun this weekend than I have in a long time and it was much appreciated and welcomed.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:37 pm 

As I worked the fest I inquired about local food vendors. It was due to EXPO five having food as part of the package. That being said, the food trucks could've tracked down reps for one of the nearby businesses and set up shop there. With entry people could walk over and get food.

As for local bands, Louisville had adequate representation, especially considering the pace this was assembled

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:29 pm 

shivelycore wrote:
As I worked the fest I inquired about local food vendors. It was due to EXPO five having food as part of the package. That being said, the food trucks could've tracked down reps for one of the nearby businesses and set up shop there. With entry people could walk over and get food.

As for local bands, Louisville had adequate representation, especially considering the pace this was assembled

I would go as far as to say that there were more local bands on the lineup than on any of the original Krazyfests.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:37 am 
Master and Commander

Like I said, it's a difference of opinion, I have a pretty unpopular opinion to have on this board, and I'm aware of it. It's not my fest, I have nothing to do with it, so I usually keep my opinion to myself. I don't think my mind is gonna change, and I'm not trying to change anyone elses mind either. There's no need for you guys to defend your points of view, because I do get where you're coming from. I just disagree from a business standpoint, that's all.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 am 
Forum Super Soldier

OK, sure, let's talk about this from a business standpoint, because large events like this are business and it won't happen again if it loses money.

Supply and demand and Local Bands
Let's assume it would be possible for more local bands to play, but to what end? The same people who don't go see local bands play at cahoots or zanzibar certainly aren't going to trek out to expo 5 (It's not really that far, I'm just accepting the realities of perception) to pay a bunch of money to see a local band that they could still see here in two months for $5 in a more intimate setting, with probably slightly better sound. The bands that will motivate locals to pay 10x the normal cost of a regular show are going to be bands that don't play here that often. Also, the aggregation of nationally-known bands is what draws out of town visitors in. I would be interested to see some sort of demographic analysis from Krazyfest on ticket purchasing. It would also be worth comparing business models to Chaos in Tejas, too . . . though that might just serve to recalibrate your definition of success.

Local Vendors
Vendors don't draw people to music events, though they do give back to the local economy if the fest is successful enough for it to make it worth the vendor's time. Also, many venues have contractual stipulations dealing with outside vendors, and vendors ultimately benefit more from the success of an event like this than they contribute to it. I don't think the need that Krazyfest is trying to address is increased awareness of Joe Davola's Cream of Mushroom soup (which is damn good- it's the sherry!) or our local glass arts community. Honestly, if it were me, I would partner with a few local providers and pay them a fair price for their food which you will resell at a reasonable profit so there will be an additional income stream at the event.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:12 am 
Master and Commander

I'm really not going to debate my point of view on this forum. This is precariously close to a can of worms I don't really want to open. I don't feel like anything I have to say would be taken as input so much as be received as negativity and start a bunch of drama on these boards. I shouldn't have made the first comment, but, I got quoted and I explained myself somewhat. I'm not about to have a drawn out discussion about Krazyfest publicly in a highly bias environment. I'm glad everyone who went or was involved had an awesome time.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:54 am 
Forum Super Soldier

That's cool. You just said you disagreed from a business standpoint and I was trying to understand the specifics and just offered up my perspective as a place to start. It is definitely not the only perspective out there.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:19 pm 
Master and Commander

The only counterpoint I'm really willing to offer up is this:

Louisville tends to be a town that is fiercely loyal to it's local businesses, be it food, bands, whatever. I definitely think getting them more involved could do nothing but help the fest.

This doesn't apply very well on this forum. It's a small sampling of who is active in this town, and most of those involved with Krazyfest are on here.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:10 pm 
Message Bored Minion

The very best solution I can offer to those who were disappointed by the most recent incarnation of Krazy Fest:

Start your own fest!

No sarcasm, I'm serious. Andy Tinsley put on the best fest he could within the confines of his vision and his budget. If you have a different vision, then create your own fest and make it the way you want it. America!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:46 pm 
Message Bored Minion

spiders4eyes wrote:
f it ain't a Squirrel Bait or Gorrilla Biscuits reunion, somethin' like that, I no longer give a FUCK.

sig-worthy.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:10 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Joe Dunman wrote:
The very best solution I can offer to those who were disappointed by the most recent incarnation of Krazy Fest:

Start your own fest!

Co-signed.

Ein neuer, böser Tanz. Alle gegen Alle!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:45 pm 
Master and Commander

as I said earlier:

Quote:
I suppose if i had the resources, time, patience, and ability to handle immense stress, I could put on a fest and have it how I want it...but I digress.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 am 
Master and Commander

post #900...the 899 was bugging me.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:37 am 

Joe Dunman wrote:

Start your own fest!

Also, if you don't like a movie, you should make your own.

I don't have the desire or connections to organize any kind of Fest and I didn't attend this year's Krazy. So I have no criticisms of the event.
But there are only so many Fests that can happen in town and, not to mention, the resources required to produce one are prohibitive to most people. So I think people (even Doug) should feel free to share their thoughts on how the event could have been more to their liking, even if they have no intention of ever making a Fest of their own.

Also, it took me a moment to figure out what was meant by "Sub-Dude Fest." I'd like to imagine that spiders4eyes, rather than merely misspelling "subdued," was likening the fest to a gay BDSM party. From some of the photos from the shows, I could see how one might be confused.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:31 pm 

Robert wrote:
I'd like to imagine that spiders4eyes, rather than merely misspelling "subdued," was likening the fest to a gay BDSM party. From some of the photos from the shows, I could see how one might be confused.

This