It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 am

First two books?
Poll ended at Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:51 pm
Amulet by Roberto Bolaño (fiction) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe: A Novel by Charles Yu (fiction) 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
The Pale King by David Foster Wallace (fiction) 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
The Collected Stories of Deborah Eisenberg (short stories/fiction) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paying For It by Chester Brown (n-f memoir/comic) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
How to Wreck a Nice Beach: The Vocoder from World War II to Hip-Hop, The Machine Speaks by David Thompkins (non-fiction) 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson (n-f) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton (n-f) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Adventures in the Orgasmatron: How the Sexual Revolution Came to America by Christopher Turner (n-f) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mafias on the Move: How Organised Crime Conquers New Territories by Federico Varese (n-f) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: A book club
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:51 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

I need a book club in this city. My wife attends an awesome book club. They seem to usually read good and interesting books. I would join but for a) who'd watch the kids? and, more importantly, b) it's a no-penises book club. I have a penis. I understand why they have a non-penis book club; not salty about it. But I need somewhere to go.

So I'm starting a new book club. Who's with me? Monthly, drinks.

Here are the rules:

1) We meet on the last Thursday of every month at 9pm. Location will probably rotate. Or it will be at my crib. Will be announced on a facebook group or something.
2) Alternating each month fiction and non-fiction. Books voted on. I'm imagining that there will be a nice mix of genre, but that would be determined by the participants. After the first meeting, all books selected two meetings ahead of time.
3) All recent books (published in past 5 years). "Recent" can also include new translations of old books and annotated or updated editions.
4) Everybody's allowed.
5) BYOB, I imagine, though it might be fun to have some sort of rotating spirit-bringer. Host will provide a baked good.

Who's down? If you're down, vote on the first two books. Please select one fiction and one non-fiction book (fiction for the first month, non-fiction for the second). After this, I swear, I won't be picking the books to choose from. But I think this is a good list of books to get started. Bolaño, Sci-fi du jour that's been compared to Calvino, the Pen/Faulkner winning short story anthology by the long-term partner of Wallace Shawn ("inconceivable!"), unfinished DFW, a history of the vocoder, a comic about a guy's history with prostitutes, a history of the black migration north, a cooking memoir, a history of Wilhelm Reich and the orgasm, and an academic text about the rise of the Russian mafia. A lot to choose from. Word?

I already have a couple of people interested, so it will at least be three of us; I'm hoping we can pull a handful more.

First meeting: Thursday, July 28th at my house in the Highlands. (PM for directions)

Last edited by Robert on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A book club
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:53 pm 

I would be way down for this if my job didn't have me busy Monday through Thursday until midnight.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 pm 

I was trying to decide whether Thursday night or Sunday morning (11, church time) would be best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:53 pm 

Robert wrote:
I was trying to decide whether Thursday night or Sunday morning (11, church time) would be best.

Drinking during church time is extra-delicious. I too wish I had time to devote to something like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:57 pm 

This is starting to look like another book club of women. Plus me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:58 pm 

Can they all be like this? http://weburbanist.com/2011/06/29/4500-miniature-books-form-huge-but-tiny-collection-2/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 pm 

Not that anyone seemed to care much or voted here but it seems that, as per people on Facebook, Yu wins.

First book is How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu. Second book is between the vocoder book and the Wilhelm Reich book.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:13 pm 

Robert wrote:
Not that anyone seemed to care much or voted here but it seems that, as per people on Facebook, Yu wins.

First book is How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu. Second book is between the vocoder book and the Wilhelm Reich book.

is that book what it sounds like? how will this work? i would love to read something in an environment like school. have so much read by the next meeting and then talk about what happened. what we think was going on, so on and so forth. i am interested. just a little overwhelmed/intimidated. i tend to be a slow reader and often times feel intellectually inferior.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 am 

awesomesmasher wrote:
Robert wrote:

is that book what it sounds like? how will this work? i would love to read something in an environment like school. have so much read by the next meeting and then talk about what happened. what we think was going on, so on and so forth. i am interested. just a little overwhelmed/intimidated. i tend to be a slow reader and often times feel intellectually inferior.

It will be really low-key. Not intimidating nothing. Just sitting around talking about books. Not really like school.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:49 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Bitches be readin'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 pm 

BabyPop wrote:
Bitches be readin'.

Some of 'em! Not A Midwife's Tale, apparently!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:44 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Some of them are infertile and find it a painful/weird read. BITCHEZZZ!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:50 pm 

BabyPop wrote:
Some of them are infertile and find it a painful/weird read. BITCHEZZZ!

You keep saying that word!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:10 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Hijack time:

I was just thinking about having a resistance/anarchy/diy/general punk rock reading group after reading the AK press blog for a little while. I haven't read as much in the area as I'd like and I think it would be a good place to talk shit out and meet people who are of a similar mindset. Mostly, I'd like to learn from people who are smarter than me. I'm thinking about including anything from Chomsky/Alinsky to Napoleon bios to Student Resistance.

Ideally something like this already exists in the area and I could just join it. Anyone have thoughts?