It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Post subject: Potentially new in town.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:07 am 
N00Benstein

My name is Bruce and I'm from NJ. Recently my job has offered me a chance to relocate to Louisville. I'm on the fence because I don't know the city. I'm posting on here because I was wondering how the punk hardcore scene is, or the music scene in general. How often do you guys have shows? How big are the shows? Basically wanna know if there is going to be fun to get into on the regular. I just like to mess around and have a good time... Not into violence or bull like that.

Post subject: Re: Potentially new in town.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

stay in jersey.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm 

shivelycore wrote:
stay in jersey.

Stop hating, Mike.

Louisville is a decent place to live. It's affordable and by my standards stays about as busy as I would want it to. There are all kinds of good shows that come through town with more added on a regular basis, and they are pretty diverse at that. I guess it depends on what you want out of a city.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:41 pm 

shivelycore wrote:
stay in jersey.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:14 pm 

Internet wrote:
How often do you guys have shows?

Every day. Usually anywhere from a million to a billion all at the same time and across town on the weekends causing...
Internet wrote:
How big are the shows?

the shows to be laughably small in attendance.

My favorite joke about Louisville is that we can't have less than 5 bands on a show because without the band members there wouldn't be an audience.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:07 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Louisville is a city that seems smaller than it is, and it's not that big.

You can get to know people pretty easily and there is little traffic. Band and food-wise, this city is absolutely spoiled. If you're basing your decision on the size of shows, you'll be bummed if you move here- It is true that the typical crowd ranges from 40-80 people for most bands. We have a perpetual venue problem, largely because of our liquor laws, which has greatly contributed to lackluster show attendance, but it keeps things interesting. The cops don't pose as punks here to infiltrate and bust illegal venues, at least.

Visit and see for yourself. It does get a bit hot for some people's taste in the summer, but winter down here is a joke compared to the North East. You will be able to wear shorts at least once during January.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:27 am 
Master and Commander

On the negative side allergies can be a big problem for a lot of folks. Most people who move away realize within the first 2 days they don't have to be mouth breathers while they sleep.

On the positive side it is very affordable. Lots of shows are rarely more than $5, and there are lot of creative musicians. Media coverage doesn't demonstrate how diverse local music is here. The 5 people who have responded, so far, are all musicians and/or genius noise engineers. I started to write who you should check out, but really just go to the upcoming shows section.

And if you like whiskey, you have found King's Landing, otherwise known as Bourbon. When I'm out of town now i find it irritating that Woodford Reserve is usually as good as it gets.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:48 am 

PROS
Very affordable to live here and a good environment for raising a family (showing my age)
Great sense of diversity in the music scene
Small intimate shows (it's a pro to me)
Calm winters compared to East Coast
Bourbon!
A plethora of great restaurants

CONS
Small shows
Horrible for allergies in the spring, very high pollen counts.
At times unbearable humidity in summer
Not ideal public transportation (buses)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:58 pm 
Shen-Long of the Internet

The public transportation does suck here but I describe Louisville as easy living.. I love it here. The traffic is laughable compared to say, Atlanta or NYC (but you really need a car). It's much more laid back than the east coast. Big food and drink culture. Big city, small town vibe (that's a cliche but sort of true). Proud music scene with a ton of talent over a variety of genres yet I would love to see more influence from those not from here meaning we need more out of towners imo. Most people know everyone from high school days kind of thing.

If you visit prepare to roll back the energy level. It's not a Southern city per se but it has tendencies of the south. Affordable housing (great for creative types. you can live for next to nothing in the right circumstance), friendly people, laid back atmosphere, hilarious fucked up rednecks, and a decent metal scene (which is growing imo). The scene used to be huge as fuck here but that's been so long ago now it hardly matters. But there is a ton of creative talent here no doubt about it. Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:16 pm 
N00Benstein

I moved to Louisville from Pittsburgh, PA about 6 months ago. We visited here about a year ago when my wife interviewed for a job. Honestly, neither of us really had an opinion of the city. We looked at her interview as a chance to go somewhere new on someone else's tab.

I had a friend who went to school in Cincinnati and he mentioned periodically visiting Louisville to go record shopping in the early 2000's. I was familiar with only a few Louisville bands over the years. (Endtables were great, but it would be years after the fact that I heard them. Coliseum was great the one time I saw them in Pittsburgh and I really like the two LPs that I owned. I did buy the Kinghorse LP when it came out, but mainly that was because of the Pushead artwork and the Danzig's involvement. )

Anyway we checked out the city and really liked it. Generally speaking, the city has a lot to offer. We have two kids and really appreciate the fact that there is a lot of activities and resources available to them.

The scene is cool and I've met some really cool, friendly people. I've seen some very good all ages and over 21 shows. There have been bands that came through Pittsburgh that I wished would play here, but at the same time I've got to see some great bands that I would have otherwise missed out on. Not everything has been purely punk or hardcore, but I dig the fact that there are some really dedicated mutants booking shows, releasing records, and being straight up freaks.

Record shopping is good, and while I still do a lot of mail order, I regularly find new releases and some used titles. I wish more of the shops had greater selection of 7"s. (btw. What's up with a couple shops filing 7"s in with the LPs? So weird.)

My only real grips are that I can't find a pizza that I really love and the inability of drivers to pass side by side on a narrow street.

All that said, I really like Louisville and I can see us being here for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:41 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

as an "outsider" and one time inhabitant, I still think Louisville rules. people there either seem to get it, or don't.

all the pros listed are accurate and probably the cons although going to shows shouldn't necessarily be a factor in geographic relocation.

allergies are definitely brutal. cost of living rules hard and I was fortunate enough to make some radical friends I still hold near and dear. if I ever become old and settled and want to buy a home Louisville ranks the top of my list.

no regrets about the handful of years I spent there, and still missing things about it from time to time.

owwww. what's up LHC friends.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:28 am 
N00Benstein

Thank you everyone for the friendly replies. Sorry to come off with ignorance of your city. I will visit probably mid May. I'll check back here to see if there is anything to get into on the days I'm in town.

Any essentials to visitors? I'm a stooge and down for anything.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:06 pm 

Internet wrote:

I hope you like food because food.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:42 pm 

whereEagledares wrote:
I was fortunate enough to make some radical friends I still hold near and dear. except adie. 'cos she sucks.

I KNOW!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:55 am 
Forum Super Soldier

adie wrote:
whereEagledares wrote:
I was fortunate enough to make some radical friends I still hold near and dear. except adie. 'cos she sucks.

I KNOW!

now that is just simply not true.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:29 am 

whereEagledares wrote:
adie wrote:
whereEagledares wrote:

I KNOW!

now that is just simply not true.

You said it, not me. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:41 am 

Internet wrote:
Thank you everyone for the friendly replies. Sorry to come off with ignorance of your city. I will visit probably mid May. I'll check back here to see if there is anything to get into on the days I'm in town.

By mid-May Derby will be over so the chance of running into some random event probably goes down a bit. Go down to Waterfront Park and take a walk. Test out the new footbridge. This city has a lot of park space (especially Cherokee Park).

Go for a stroll down Bardstown Road and Baxter Ave. If you like books, check out Carmichael's. Pop into Wild & Woolly. If nothing grabs you, that place will. Unless you hate movies and tv, then skip it. You will inevitably run across no fewer than twenty-six Heine Brothers Coffee shops (give or take a few).

This thread is weirding me out because everybody is being so... friendly... and... helpful. Except Mike G. but he moved so whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:24 pm 
Darth Crabcore

whereEagledares wrote:

owwww. what's up LHC friends.

OH SH-

louisville is great in my opinion. feels smaller than it is, and sometimes feels larger that it is. it's all in how you look into it. everywhere has stuff that sucks, highs and lows, and really it comes down to personal preference. there's lots of food here, free shit, bars stay open late if thats your thing, and bands of all kinds come through often - it's not as bad as people make it sound honestly. give it a shot.

plus you can megabus or drive just about anywhere here with a two or three state radius for practically nothing in less than 6 hours.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 am 

tripbarriger wrote:
And if you like whiskey, you have found King's Landing, otherwise known as Bourbon.

fuck yes.

louisville is what you make it, in my opinion. cheap rent, cheap food, not a lot of crime, cheap bourbon, tons of parks, AMAZING restaurants, bars are open till 4am (derby weekend some are 24/7) and yesterday marked the first sunday that restaurants can sell booze after 10am instead of 1pm.

some people are dumb and think moving out of louisville is the only choice when they're unhappy, as opposed to actually trying to change patterns/habits.

shows here are fun, but usually small. this board is almost 100% made up of band members, not the audience, which is something to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:54 pm 
Master and Commander

haas wrote:
Internet wrote:

I hope you like food because food.

like, all of it.