It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:21 pm

Post subject: Tips for bands at shows
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:08 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

I didn't come to your show to see the songs from your records played louder and in a different order. I came here for a show, so there had better be some value added for my money.

Ein neuer, böser Tanz. Alle gegen Alle!

Post subject: Re: Tips for bands at shows
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 pm 
Master and Commander

I agree...but I think you should elaborate on what you mean by a show. Its a good dialogue to get started in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:19 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Doug Walker wrote:
I agree...but I think you should elaborate on what you mean by a show. Its a good dialogue to get started in my opinion.

I mean that I expect the live format to add something that cannot be experienced by listening to recorded music alone. Interact with the audience, for starters -- physically, verbally, emotionally. Come up with an interesting, different way to play your songs live. Have video projectors, dancers, weird costumes. Give away free stuff. Talk about your music and lyrics. Take questions from the audience. Do skits. Flash the audience. Stab yourself. Go nuts.

This is especially true of bands that play music where the audience generally stands there quietly and listens without moving or reacting beyond polite applause.

Ein neuer, böser Tanz. Alle gegen Alle!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:23 pm 
Master and Commander

I think a lot of the time bands forget that playing live means you have to give a shit about entertaining the audience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:24 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Seems like there are various opinions on talking about/between songs and I can see where certain styles of music tend to be more or less accepting of that. Sometimes its awesome to watch a band pile through a set without saying a word between songs . . . sometimes a really engaging band member can also add a a lot to a live show.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:26 pm 
Master and Commander

evenmoregeneric wrote:
Seems like there are various opinions on talking about/between songs and I can see where certain styles of music tend to be more or less accepting of that. Sometimes its awesome to watch a band pile through a set without saying a word between songs . . . sometimes a really engaging band member can also add a a lot to a live show.

Doesn't have to be interaction as long as its not dead space.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm 
Master and Commander

Haas and tony didn't like engaging the crowd...and jaha and I were assholes...so we just did ambient noise during breaks to keep energy going In nixon.

And I'm aware that didn't always work to our benefit haha.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:39 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Yeah, those EH Freeze pedals are good for that, too.

All the other stuff mentioned is awesome, but the problem with some of those ideas is that you need the whole band to buy in generally, and some people seem to think gimmicks look desperate. I'm not one of them, but it's something I've heard. Getting Watkins to wear a colander for a hat in public was something, but I did it.

I've been thinking about trying to find a reasonable VGA mixer so I can do more stuff with visuals, too- http://www.critterandguitari.com/collec ... ideo-scope

If you're already using Ableton, there's a ton of MIDI LED stuff that integrates easily.

I think Video offers the best bang for my buck when trying to add another dimension to the live performance, but it's not going to matter if you look bored or sound unrehearsed, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:56 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

this, this, this.

Jamie Miller wrote:
Doug Walker wrote:

I mean that I expect the live format to add something that cannot be experienced by listening to recorded music alone. Interact with the audience, for starters -- physically, verbally, emotionally. Come up with an interesting, different way to play your songs live. Have video projectors, dancers, weird costumes. Give away free stuff. Talk about your music and lyrics. Take questions from the audience. Do skits. Flash the audience. Stab yourself. Go nuts.

This is especially true of bands that play music where the audience generally stands there quietly and listens without moving or reacting beyond polite applause.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:21 pm 
Master and Commander

I gave up on the idea of getting what I want out of a diplomatic band and decided to take on the role of benevolent dictator. I'm gonna have a gimmick...but a subtle one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:47 pm 
Darth Crabcore

i've heard from a few people that Late Ones is an enjoyable band to watch live.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:57 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

When you're having fun playing together, it shows. As does the reverse, usually.
duncan wrote:
i've heard from a few people that Late Ones is an enjoyable band to watch live.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:36 pm 
Master and Commander

I thought you guys were good the few times I saw you. You have that loose pop punk joke around banter that keeps people smiling and laughing and makes them want to have fun with you guys while you're playing. I don't know that I saw you guys on an off night though.

What about you duncan? What advice would you give bands playing live now?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:03 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

do it like gg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:04 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

jk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:01 pm 
Master and Commander

You know the murder junkies still get 500 a night and ggs been long gone for awhile. Thats how big of an impact that dude made...like him or not (I can't stand that type of shock value shit personally).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:26 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Most people are probably drawn to them because of the legacy, but they actually have some catchy stuff. I wouldn't attribute it all to GG.
Doug Walker wrote:
You know the murder junkies still get 500 a night and ggs been long gone for awhile. Thats how big of an impact that dude made...like him or not (I can't stand that type of shock value shit personally).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:12 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Talking for talking's sake bores the shit out of me. The only reason I never wanted to is because I'm an awkward guy. An awkward guy trying to find something to say to strangers is not a pleasant experience for anyone.

Different strokes. I hate the fuck out of people saying shit like "how y'all doing out there" and other cheesedick cliches. I also hate when a band *coughcough*stretch armstrong*coughcough* just says shit to be saying something.

There's a balance there but I never found it. It always seemed like a stupid idea to me to joke and goof around while badly singing about the futility of life and revenge, but eh. I can see the merits of it.

It depends on if you're an entertainer that happens to be an artist or an artist trying to be an entertainer. For the former, the song is a song and the set is the message. The forest is more important. For the later, the individual song is the message. The trees are more important.

Like actors, some people are method actors and some are character actors I guess. The artist wants to live it and become it. The entertainer wants others to. Maybe I'm reaching.

Let's have an artist vs entertainer conversation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:24 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Regardless, ill echo that no one wants to watch someone stand and play their record. Shit is boring. If you're not 10000% into it or if I can't at least marvel at how good one of your band members are at their instrument, who fucking cares. Bleed for me. Sell it to me.

And if I go to shows a year apart and can tell you're playing the same set list, come back when you have something else to show me. I'm guilty of this, but ehhhhhhhhhhhh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:21 pm 
Master and Commander

I think it is a good idea to do something more memorable than just swaying back and forth and playing your songs. That being said, I think it is more important to play well. I am much more quick to dismiss a band if they play their songs poorly and are trying to do something memorable. It makes me think, why spend time trying to put on a show before you can play your songs well?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:29 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Jamie Miller wrote:
Doug Walker wrote:

Without this you might as well be listening to top 40 radio.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:02 am 
Forum Super Soldier

I think one of the things that usually loses me when I'm watching a band is when they have to discuss what to play next between most every song. I've definitely been guilty of this, but never happy about it when it's happening. 15 seconds feels like 15 minutes when you're watching people stand around on a stage and talk to each other.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:36 am 
Master and Commander

I think its important to be willing to play "stairway" every night if people wanna hear it too. That is to say...the one song you're totally sick of playing but everyone seems to love. As much fun as it is as a musician to play the newest material...its important to keep old material in circulation. I really didn't like playing therapissed every show...but a lot of people said they liked the song...so I tried to make sure it was in the set every night.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:20 am 
Shen-Long of the Internet

Jamie Miller wrote:

Yes please make it an experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:23 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Every band (particularly heavy bands) should take note of how Neurosis puts it down live. Come out, melt your face , finish and leave. It's the reason I have always loved this band live. None of that "this song is about" or any mumbo jumbo talk either. Kick ass and don't ask for any names afterwards! They even killed it w/o any visual accompaniment the last time I saw them. I was skeptical about it at first but they showed me that they can slay a crowd just by playing straight up as well.