It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Post subject: Re: Tips for bands at shows
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:48 pm 
Master and Commander

istandaccused wrote:
Every band (particularly heavy bands) should take note of how Neurosis puts it down live. Come out, melt your face , finish and leave. It's the reason I have always loved this band live. None of that "this song is about" or any mumbo jumbo talk either. Kick ass and don't ask for any names afterwards! They even killed it w/o any visual accompaniment the last time I saw them. I was skeptical about it at first but they showed me that they can slay a crowd just by playing straight up as well.

It works for certain types of music...but also..that's an institution of a band. The people go there knowing what to expect and anticipate what they do. Its not quite so easy to pull that off with a room full of people who don't know who you are. But you're right for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:54 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Doug Walker wrote:

It works for certain types of music...but also..that's an institution of a band. The people go there knowing what to expect and anticipate what they do. Its not quite so easy to pull that off with a room full of people who don't know who you are. But you're right for sure.

I like how you called them an institution :) I immediately chuckled to myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Doug Walker wrote:
istandaccused wrote:
Every band (particularly heavy bands) should take note of how Neurosis puts it down live. Come out, melt your face , finish and leave. It's the reason I have always loved this band live. None of that "this song is about" or any mumbo jumbo talk either. Kick ass and don't ask for any names afterwards! They even killed it w/o any visual accompaniment the last time I saw them. I was skeptical about it at first but they showed me that they can slay a crowd just by playing straight up as well.

All the more reasons to make sure you put on a good show. Otherwise there are 100 other open bands that people will see in the same year that sound similar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 am 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Yeah, I would say that these tips are mainly for bands that need to engage an audience. Bands who already have a devoted following can do whatever they want. I'm sure the dudes from Radiohead could come out, shit on the stage and hit each other with tambourines, and the entire tour would sell out.

Ein neuer, böser Tanz. Alle gegen Alle!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

1. Have a gimmick
2. Be the best at what you do
3. Both

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:05 pm 
Master and Commander

Jamie Miller wrote:
Yeah, I would say that these tips are mainly for bands that need to engage an audience. Bands who already have a devoted following can do whatever they want. I'm sure the dudes from Radiohead could come out, shit on the stage and hit each other with tambourines, and the entire tour would sell out.