flexyournoggin
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

RIP DOMA

Post by flexyournoggin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 am

Darth Radical
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Re: RIP DOMA

Post by Darth Radical » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Kind of. Don't state laws still apply? I'll be happy when all of those laws get overturned for the backwards, redneck bullshit that they are.
flexyournoggin
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Post by flexyournoggin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Well, yeah, kind of is the right way to put it. Section 3 is out, but section 2 is apparently up for grabs still. DOMA was all about federal marriage recognition, and therefore it's up to each individual state to recognize (or not), though regardless you could still file federal joint taxes and have certain federal level protections. Until places like Kentucky strike down their individual marriage bans, it's not a full out victory for the cause, but it's a lot more than just a step in that direction. Prop 8 is out as well, being found to have no standing, so CA is back in the marriage game. With that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a swing towards the positive in a lot of places.
Darth Radical wrote:Kind of. Don't state laws still apply? I'll be happy when all of those laws get overturned for the backwards, redneck bullshit that they are.
lee
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Post by lee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:51 pm

I often wonder how I evolved enough not to be racist/sexist/homophobic, but have not evolved enough to not want to beat the crap out of people who are.