Music at restaurants?
Hell No. 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
Well, OK. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Sure!!! 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Music in your face while eating
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:58 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

New poll: Does anyone actually like live music inside a restaurant while they're trying to stuff their faceholes?

Post subject: Re: Music in your face while eating
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:02 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Normally I hate it. I did go to an El Nopal once that Sunn O))) played though. That was the most intense/demonic burrito I've ever had.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:45 pm 

Also, I would enjoy eating at Waffle House while the Swans played.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:21 pm 

El Mundo either plays cool hip hop or the worst house music. I like the hip hop stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:09 am 
Master and Commander

Depends on the music. I liked the jazz trio at ramseys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:45 am 

Hell no.. going out to dinner and having to talk over some pud that's noodling around on a guitar.. awful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:02 am 

The only times I've heard music at Ramsi's it was some dude putzing around on a keyboard and I ate as fast as possible and made my exit post haste. No. Thank. You.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:40 am 

Doug Walker wrote:
Depends on the music. I liked the jazz trio at ramseys.

There's a jazz trio that plays the brunch at the Marriot that's pretty good as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:53 am 

i used to play in jazz combos in high school and any time we played something similar to what you're asking, i hated it. it just seemed so lame to be live background music.

i went to Jeff Ruby's a while back and the dude playing piano on top of the bar just looked like he was one second away from killing himself the whole time. whats worse is knowing that those kind of "gigs" actually pay pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

I feel like in a case like that, it's acceptable as the music isn't overpowering and frequently non-vocal. You can enjoy it in the pauses of your conversation and garner a level of affection for it. A rock band or (especially) some noodling ding-dong playing top-40 covers just ruins conversation, intamacy, and good times.
Paul Watkins wrote:
i went to Jeff Ruby's a while back and the dude playing piano on top of the bar just looked like he was one second away from killing himself the whole time. whats worse is knowing that those kind of "gigs" actually pay pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:41 pm 

Paul Watkins wrote:
i used to play in jazz combos in high school and any time we played something similar to what you're asking, i hated it. it just seemed so lame to be live background music.

Yeah, but as a patron of the restaurant I have no interest in being engaged by the musician. So background music is the only music. That said, I love genres that are conducive to this like ambient or classical, so I'm already receptive to allowing music to take a back seat to my culinary experience. If it meets the following criteria I'll be more okay with it:

Can I talk to the person across from me without yelling?
Is it a distraction from my meal?
Is the band Meshuggah and am I eating at Denny's?

If it meets some or most of that criteria, I'm fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:13 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Or Born Against in a Kinko's while you're trying to eat a sandwich and make copies.
Darth Radical wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:56 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

live music - no
recorded music - fine, whatever

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:17 pm 

flexyournoggin wrote:
Or Born Against in a Kinko's while you're trying to eat a sandwich and make copies.
Darth Radical wrote:

That works too. New Millenium Cyanide Christ + Moons Over My Hammy = awesome good times.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 pm 

Darth Radical wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:

Yeah, but as a patron of the restaurant I have no interest in being engaged by the musician. So background music is the only music. That said, I love genres that are conducive to this like ambient or classical, so I'm already receptive to allowing music to take a back seat to my culinary experience. If it meets the following criteria I'll be more okay with it:

Can I talk to the person across from me without yelling?
Is it a distraction from my meal?

If it meets some or most of that criteria, I'm fine.

i meant that it was a bummer to me as a musician to feel like background music. i agree that background music is best for eating so you aren't engaged, but it made me realize that playing those type of gigs wasn't for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:22 pm 
Master and Commander

I'd love to see shitty pre programmed muzak replaced by quartets or trios playing relaxing music. Its just not cost effective to pay musicians to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:45 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Sometimes it can be a good thing, on a personal level. There was a period when my folks would come to town, and invariably my family would have to join them and my sister's family for that overpriced Sunday brunch thing at the B-town Bristol. Bad enough for a long table to converse in a noisy restaurant, but once the jazz trio was added to the mix...thank god that tradition evaporated!

My wife discovered the old Third Street Cafe through work, and our family enjoyed patronizing it, until the last time, when as the three of us were conversing with our meal, we were interrupted by some crappy combo setting out a plastic 5 gallon mayo jar labeled TIPS. If the management's intent was to turn tables, it certainly worked. The next time we dared down, we found the place shuttered.

Here's a funny story. Last spring break, we drove down and picked up our son, and spent a week in a cabin in a TN state park. My wife, the cruisemaster, misjudged the timing, so we wound up back in Murray on a Sunday hours before he could get back in his dorm. Blah blah blah. We ended up at a Captain D's at 11 for an early lunch (certainly not my choice) right after they'd opened. At least the fry oil would be fresh. As I looked at the crappy decor while eating my chicken tenders, I was thrown off by the piped in music. It was frantic tempo modern jazz. As Muzak, it didn't make sense. But then I remembered satellite radio. After one particularly appalling track, I announced to my family, "I never thought I'd say that I actually loathe scat singing." It was definitely table-turning music--I felt very uncomfortable the longer we ate--though there was only one other occupied table to be flipped at the time. Why the gods at corporate earn 7 figure salaries.

Heading to the punchline. My discerning son is a fan of Your Food, and my later bands. When Kate went off to the restroom, I apologized to him, "Sorry that I squandered all my negligible talents on this punk rock shit, that your inheritance won't include royalties from my music being played at Captain D's." I took a final bite, swallowed down with soda.

"It is a pity," he waited to announce. "Think of it. You could've been in a band called Your Groove." I burst out laughing, so proud of my clever son.

As we picked up our trays to get the fuck out of the place, he declared with a cocky look, "And now you owe me."

"For what?"

"For waiting for you to swallow, so you didn't blow soda out your nose."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:11 pm 

The only situations that I approve of music in my face while eating involve an erotic buffet of sushi being eaten off of my nether regions while Kenny G plays in the background.

Erotic buffet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:01 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I do not enjoy music, or anything else, in my face while eating in a restaurant or elsewhere.
Incidentally, I live near four restaurants, three of which blast terrible music through outdoor speakers all hours of the day and night. How appetizing and attractive!

On a not so semi related note: I do enjoy 80's pop music while browsing peddlars malls (Probably due to some sort of subconscious nostalgia trip or something), but do not like what I usually hear, which is "New Country". There is nothing worse in any situation that I can think of than New Country.