CROPPED OUT 2013

us vs. us
flexyournoggin
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

CROPPED OUT 2013

Post by flexyournoggin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:51 am

CROPPED OUT 2013
-------------------------------------
Cropped Out 2013 is coming up this weekend (September 27th-29th, 2013) and is guaranteed to show you the best of things you haven't heard, things you may have heard of, and a couple of acts that will get you pumped. This year's festival is back at the American Turners Club on River Road, with an opening party on September 26th at Dreamland Film Center (810 East Market).

Tickets:
Full Weekend passes can be had for $60. Single day passes go between $25 and $30, but you can also get camping passes as well.

Full Lineup:

Borbetomagus
Freakwater
Matt Sweeney & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - playing 'Superwolf'
Endless Boogie
Lambchop
The Endtables
Wolfeyes
Mayo Thompson and the Corky's Debt Band
Blues Control
Shit and Shine
Bill Orcutt/Chris Corsano
Cave
Connections
Montag
Hair Police
Human Eye
Spray Paint
Watery Love
Steve Gunn
Cop City Chill Pillars
Running
Salad Influence
Rinehart
Jayne Jayle
Skimask
Juanita
Neighbor
Kal Marks
Asm A Tik
Tom Black Lung & The Smokestacks
Thee Open Sex
Today's Hits
New England Patriots
Quailbones
Tweens
White Reaper
Spelling Bee
Mote
Promised Land Sound

https://www.facebook.com/CroppedOut
flexyournoggin
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Re: CROPPED OUT 2013

Post by flexyournoggin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:12 pm

To people that went:
How was it? I saw some fun photos online, but haven't heard any sort of review yet.
evenmoregeneric
Forum Super Soldier

Post by evenmoregeneric » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Saturday night was a pretty ridiculously solid line-up. I think it was Wolf Eyes that pissed off the hoosiers- Cops visited, but nothing was stunted, as everything was on the up and up.

In terms of rock bands, I think a lot of people here might like Kal Marks (http://kalmarks.bandcamp.com/) and Tom Blacklung & The Smokestacks (http://tomblacklungandthesmokestacks.bandcamp.com/), both of who dropped pretty sweet sets there.

Cool to see some things that may have never happenned before and/or may never happen again. Bummed about Tony Clifton, but hey maybe he'll show up next year, akin to Human Eye showing up this year after having to cancel last year, iirc.

Asm A Tik sounded awesome through the super-loud PA in the bar. Neighbor played a great set with some newer songs.

Cave was fun, as always.

Thought CO kind of hit the tipping point last year, and the crowds overall seemed much larger- There was a good crowd for Asm A Tik's 2pm set, which I thought was pretty nice and surprising.

I love Turners. The delapidated weirdness certainly fits the vibe.
casey
Forum Super Soldier

Post by casey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:06 am

Yeah, it was excellent again, as it is every year. Decent crowds for just about all the performers, people in a good mood, lots of amazing sets, inspiring vibe, etc.
Lots of great discoveries too - Spray Paint was killer, Shit and Shine were mesmerizing, New England Patriots were hilarious and intense.

Best sets I saw were Wolf Eyes, Skimask, Asm a Tik, Juanita, New England Patriots, Superwolf, Neighbor...actually, nearly everything was awesome, and even the stuff that I didn't really like was still interesting. I couldn't go Sunday night, but my friends that went said that Freakwater and Lambchop were both wonderful.

It's the best Louisville music event (by far) each year I've been able to go.
seanroberts
Forum Super Soldier

Post by seanroberts » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Ski Mask was great. I really enjoy Montag & Mayo Thompson. That dude is almost 70 and he killed it. The food was great too.
momofliggins
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Post by momofliggins » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Mayo Thompson's set was magical. The fact that we have had 2 shows this year (Wire and Mayo T.) that even entered my mind as a possible 'top 5' concert ever was amazing as my other favorite shows have all been 10+ years ago. Not that I keep a list or anything, but there are definitely a handful of shows that stand above and beyond the rest. That hopefully illustrates how great this show was (at least to me). Mayo brought an amazing amount of energy, charm, and honestly, the album they played is great but the live set was maybe better. I am still glowing :)

Aside from Mayo T, Montag was amazing and like others said, the vibe is just great: good turnout, good friends, not so crowded that you're miserable, no upcharging like bullshit fests. This was my favorite weekend of the year for the second straight year. Most bands I didn't know, most bands I enjoyed on some level. I made it most of Friday (6:30-almost the end) and most of Saturday (2:30ish-mid-Superwolf) and was never bored or wishing I was somewhere else.

Plus, Turners is a perfect spot for it as Zach said. It's like this weird survivalist compound in a dystopian future.

All in all, this is the best festival I've ever been to (Forecastle, CMJ, SXSW, and Pitchfork are all pretty forgettable and I've played/attended those). I am thankful to Ryan and James and all the other folks for doing such an amazing job with it.
SEVERS
Forum Super Soldier

Post by SEVERS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:33 pm

What I heard was that beards and skinny jeans were in full force.
Weird. Both are typically so unusual.
hstencil
Master and Commander

Post by hstencil » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:07 pm

SEVERS wrote:What I heard was that beards and skinny jeans were in full force.
I don't care if the rest of the audience wore propellor beanies, rollerblades, and rainbow tie-dyes... I GOT TO SEE THE ENDTABLES.

(and MONTAG, MAYO THOMPSON, BORBETOMAGUS, ENDLESS BOOGIE, HAIR POLICE, BLUES CONTROL, WOLF EYES, etc. etc.)
SEVERS
Forum Super Soldier

Post by SEVERS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:29 pm

That wasn't Endtables.
hstencil
Master and Commander

Post by hstencil » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 pm

SEVERS wrote:That wasn't Endtables.
You tell them that.
SEVERS
Forum Super Soldier

Post by SEVERS » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:01 pm

hstencil wrote:
You tell them that.
Funny thing is, I actually did have a conversation with Chile and Joe during one of the radio nights at John's about how I don't get the reunion craze.
hstencil
Master and Commander

Post by hstencil » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:56 pm

SEVERS wrote:Funny thing is, I actually did have a conversation with Chile and Joe during one of the radio nights at John's about how I don't get the reunion craze.
And like most everyone else, they just ignored your wacky opinion!

(C'mon man, you can't set me up like that and not expect a zing!)
Sean Bailey
Forum Super Soldier

Post by Sean Bailey » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:19 pm

casey wrote:Yeah, it was excellent again, as it is every year.
Had a great time, myself! Had to miss all of Friday unfortunately, due to being out of town, but what I was able to experience on Saturday was pretty mind bending, and Sunday was great, too. Wolf Eyes, Jaye Jayle, Superwolf, Mayo Thompson, Borbetomagus, and Cave were all highlights for me, but I'm bummed to have missed the bulk of the local bands. What Ryan, James, Mikie, Sabrina, and the countless other volunteers have been able to pull off the last four years in a row has been exceptional... Here's to Cropped Out 2014!

And definitely this...
evenmoregeneric wrote: I love Turners. The delapidated weirdness certainly fits the vibe.
WEAPONS
Message Bored Minion

Post by WEAPONS » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:20 am

I'm not intending this to be a smart-ass response in any way; just wondering (since I'm out of the loop I guess), why wasn't it "the endtables"? I assume members besides chili rigot were not original members of the band? Which ones?

I don't really care either way since it's the closest thing I would ever get to seeing them live and since their set thouroughly kicked my ass. I'm just curious.

It's been said already, but it wont hurt to Reiterate how great Mayo Thompsons set was. It was even better than the high expectations I already had going into the show.
quasar
Shen-Long of the Internet

Post by quasar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:07 am

SEVERS wrote:What I heard was that beards and skinny jeans were in full force.
Probably why it was so much fun and non violent. I back that.

I really wish I could have stayed. Next year Busta Grill is going to blow it the fuck up with a special menu. The "hipsters" like interesting food. Again, I back that and their efforts.
Darth Radical
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Post by Darth Radical » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:56 am

I really hate the word "hipster." It's so nebulous. I'm sure that everyone here has been accused of being a hipster by someone else, and no one thinks that they are. It's just a silly way to label someone other that means absolutely nothing.
flexyournoggin
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Post by flexyournoggin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:26 am

agreed.
Darth Radical wrote:I really hate the word "hipster." It's so nebulous. I'm sure that everyone here has been accused of being a hipster by someone else, and no one thinks that they are. It's just a silly way to label someone other that means absolutely nothing.
SEVERS
Forum Super Soldier

Post by SEVERS » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:28 am

WEAPONS wrote:
I'm not intending this to be a smart-ass response in any way; just wondering (since I'm out of the loop I guess), why wasn't it "the endtables"? I assume members besides chili rigot were not original members of the band? Which ones?

I don't really care either way since it's the closest thing I would ever get to seeing them live and since their set thouroughly kicked my ass. I'm just curious.

It's been said already, but it wont hurt to Reiterate how great Mayo Thompsons set was. It was even better than the high expectations I already had going into the show.

It's merely aesthetic preferences Nadeem. I know that there are people out there that can appreciate and enjoy such things. I am, however, not one of those people.

It's like, this isn't KISS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PiVTOLFdBA

This isn't Black Flag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z5lZTUJ0rA

But I don't begrudge the people who enjoy them. Well, not too much anyway. :)