It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:43 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:14 am 
Shen-Long of the Internet
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:10 pm
Posts: 8517
Location: Payne Street Gutter
Has anyone ever been inside one of these places? They are popping up everywhere on Bardstown Road so they must be popular, right? What goes on in there? Do you just sit and smoke a hookah or do they sell hookah and hookah parts or is the food awesome? I am totally confused on the appeal. Please help.

_________________
Ogronitude


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:43 pm
Posts: 2762
Location: louisville
i rolled my eyes so hard when i saw that "Puff Puff Pass" sign that i nearly went blind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:52 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 5973
Location: A horse!
Paul Watkins wrote:
i rolled my eyes so hard when i saw that "Puff Puff Pass" sign that i nearly went blind.


Yeah, seriously. The name of that place is whack. My question , is how can any business thrive when their clientele must be exclusively 18-20 year old kids?

_________________
http://never-nervous.blogspot.com/
http://argument.louisvillehardcore.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:02 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:43 pm
Posts: 2762
Location: louisville
Darth Radical wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:
i rolled my eyes so hard when i saw that "Puff Puff Pass" sign that i nearly went blind.


Yeah, seriously. The name of that place is whack. My question , is how can any business thrive when their clientele must be exclusively 18-20 year old kids?


even if they sold actual weed, i would still think the name sucked.

and thats coming from a former member of Alcohawk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:04 pm 
Shen-Long of the Internet
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:10 pm
Posts: 8517
Location: Payne Street Gutter
Yeah but what is the commercial appeal? Cigarettes? Do we have a "hookah scene" here that is unrivaled anywhere else? What goes on there that's interesting. I never get a chance to go out that way or I would check it out.

_________________
Ogronitude


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:05 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 2708
Paul Watkins wrote:
Darth Radical wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:
i rolled my eyes so hard when i saw that "Puff Puff Pass" sign that i nearly went blind.


Yeah, seriously. The name of that place is whack. My question , is how can any business thrive when their clientele must be exclusively 18-20 year old kids?


even if they sold actual weed, i would still think the name sucked.

and thats coming from a former member of Alcohawk.


It's pretty stupid. I recognize that a lot of these hookah bars are springing up because of an influx of African / Middle Eastern immigrants moving to Louisville and starting businesses, but in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if the guys operating these businesses are setting up shop to eventually switch to coffee shop models in the very slim chance that Kentucky legalizes pot someday.

Either way, the owners of Cafe 360 must be pissed that the once lean and mean hookah bar market is oversaturated with shitty pretenders occupying what would otherwise be yet another pizza place.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:16 am 
Shen-Long of the Internet
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:10 pm
Posts: 8517
Location: Payne Street Gutter
no fun wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:
Darth Radical wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:
i rolled my eyes so hard when i saw that "Puff Puff Pass" sign that i nearly went blind.


Yeah, seriously. The name of that place is whack. My question , is how can any business thrive when their clientele must be exclusively 18-20 year old kids?


even if they sold actual weed, i would still think the name sucked.

and thats coming from a former member of Alcohawk.


It's pretty stupid. I recognize that a lot of these hookah bars are springing up because of an influx of African / Middle Eastern immigrants moving to Louisville and starting businesses, but in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if the guys operating these businesses are setting up shop to eventually switch to coffee shop models in the very slim chance that Kentucky legalizes pot someday.

Either way, the owners of Cafe 360 must be pissed that the once lean and mean hookah bar market is oversaturated with shitty pretenders occupying what would otherwise be yet another pizza place.


I gotta add "weird hookah bar review" to my other ideas of goofy places to review. I need to make a list. I need to know wtf happens in there..

Overall it's just a boring idea. I KNOW some of our friends have better business ideas than this.

_________________
Ogronitude


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:33 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 2708
I think more than anything it's a nightlife alternative for kids who aren't smart enough to get fake IDs.

I wish somebody would open a place where people could hang out with cats and drink coffee. I think it's a $25,000 idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:36 pm 
Shen-Long of the Internet
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:10 pm
Posts: 8517
Location: Payne Street Gutter
no fun wrote:
I think more than anything it's a nightlife alternative for kids who aren't smart enough to get fake IDs.

I wish somebody would open a place where people could hang out with cats and drink coffee. I think it's a $25,000 idea.


So many people tell me cool ideas yet never move on them. I'm not the kind to steal them (I got my own) but I know they are better than oh let's open a hookah bar...

_________________
Ogronitude


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:07 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:43 pm
Posts: 2762
Location: louisville
no fun wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:
Darth Radical wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:
i rolled my eyes so hard when i saw that "Puff Puff Pass" sign that i nearly went blind.


Yeah, seriously. The name of that place is whack. My question , is how can any business thrive when their clientele must be exclusively 18-20 year old kids?


even if they sold actual weed, i would still think the name sucked.

and thats coming from a former member of Alcohawk.


It's pretty stupid. I recognize that a lot of these hookah bars are springing up because of an influx of African / Middle Eastern immigrants moving to Louisville and starting businesses, but in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if the guys operating these businesses are setting up shop to eventually switch to coffee shop models in the very slim chance that Kentucky legalizes pot someday.

Either way, the owners of Cafe 360 must be pissed that the once lean and mean hookah bar market is oversaturated with shitty pretenders occupying what would otherwise be yet another pizza place.


thats a good thought. i've wondered how people get the jump on startups in other states. who knows what will happen here though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:22 pm 
Message Bored Minion

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:36 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Barret Avenue
i don't get why we have all these smoke shops. on the idiot side, the kids that work at herb import company sit outback and smoke dope openly. i guess managment is not worried about getting busted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 am 
Forum Super Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:17 am
Posts: 368
Don't be so hating, 'cause that's not cool. See, hookah bars are like so cool. They're like all the things that make our city so cool. Bardstown road is so fucking cool. All these cool places to eat, and don't forget all the cool stores, where you can buy like really cool stuff. Louisville is so cool. There are all these cool bars, like where cool bands play and all your cool friends hang. You can drink like these cool craft beers or like just as cool cans of PBR. Like have you ever been down to the Flea? It too is so cool, all these cool people selling all this really cool stuff, and it's down in the cool Nulu cool arts district, because art is so cool. And everywhere you go, there are these cool food trucks, which are so cool because it's like these vans that like sell really cool food . . .

The wonder is that Severs and Maxson haven't aquired WMDs and blown the whole fraudulent shitpile to smithereens...as an echo of the ending of "The Return of the Living Dead".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:58 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:43 pm
Posts: 2762
Location: louisville
good fucking god, move the fuck out of town if you hate it so much.

i'm surprised your post wasn't "oh back in 81 we had REAL hookah bars".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:33 am 
Forum Super Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 603
Location: Germantown
It's not just Bardstown Rd. Last night I saw two on my way home from band practice. One on 4th St near Winkler, one where Old Louisville Coffeehouse used to be.

_________________
Asm A Tik
Straight A's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:30 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:07 pm
Posts: 3253
Location: right behind you
maxson wrote:
Don't be so hating, 'cause that's not cool. See, hookah bars are like so cool. They're like all the things that make our city so cool. Bardstown road is so fucking cool. All these cool places to eat, and don't forget all the cool stores, where you can buy like really cool stuff. Louisville is so cool. There are all these cool bars, like where cool bands play and all your cool friends hang. You can drink like these cool craft beers or like just as cool cans of PBR. Like have you ever been down to the Flea? It too is so cool, all these cool people selling all this really cool stuff, and it's down in the cool Nulu cool arts district, because art is so cool. And everywhere you go, there are these cool food trucks, which are so cool because it's like these vans that like sell really cool food . . .

The wonder is that Severs and Maxson haven't aquired WMDs and blown the whole fraudulent shitpile to smithereens...as an echo of the ending of "The Return of the Living Dead".

Yeah, fuck people enjoying their lives without being worried about whether or not someone will view them as genuine. You are a miserable and negative person. I feel so blessed to have been grace by the thoughts and opinions of such a non-fraudulent person. Fuck off. Aren't you overdue for an overdose or maybe a diagnosis of cirrhosis.

_________________
You cannot escape me! Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 784
related even though it's a smoke shop and not a hookah bar- http://www.wave3.com/story/23609507/rai ... ug-arrests

there's a Hookah Bar on Frankfort Ave now, too. I have never seen anyone in it- Just empty except for a soda cooler when you look in.

_________________
http://alcoholparty.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:06 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:29 pm
Posts: 16843
Location: Louisville
Casablanca? They have people in there sometimes, mostly just when I've seen belly dancing through the window. I've never been in, but have seen it empty as many times as I've seen it full.
evenmoregeneric wrote:
there's a Hookah Bar on Frankfort Ave now, too. I have never seen anyone in it- Just empty except for a soda cooler when you look in.

_________________
duncan wrote:
im a turtle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:45 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:19 pm
Posts: 2132
The building the new Ultra Pop is used to be a hookah bar called "the haze" the land lord said two Russian dudes ran it and he had to kick them out. Sketch city.. fights all the time and underage drinking and drugs with a stripper in a VIP room which was the basement oh and it was 24 hours a day.




Last edited by hesher on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:47 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 784
yeah, Casablanca is the place I was talking about and 8pm on school nights may not be the best time to get a feel for the place- that's when I typically pass it on foot.

_________________
http://alcoholparty.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 9:51 am
Posts: 4010
awesomesmasher wrote:
maxson wrote:
Don't be so hating, 'cause that's not cool. See, hookah bars are like so cool. They're like all the things that make our city so cool. Bardstown road is so fucking cool. All these cool places to eat, and don't forget all the cool stores, where you can buy like really cool stuff. Louisville is so cool. There are all these cool bars, like where cool bands play and all your cool friends hang. You can drink like these cool craft beers or like just as cool cans of PBR. Like have you ever been down to the Flea? It too is so cool, all these cool people selling all this really cool stuff, and it's down in the cool Nulu cool arts district, because art is so cool. And everywhere you go, there are these cool food trucks, which are so cool because it's like these vans that like sell really cool food . . .

The wonder is that Severs and Maxson haven't aquired WMDs and blown the whole fraudulent shitpile to smithereens...as an echo of the ending of "The Return of the Living Dead".

Yeah, fuck people enjoying their lives without being worried about whether or not someone will view them as genuine. You are a miserable and negative person. I feel so blessed to have been grace by the thoughts and opinions of such a non-fraudulent person. Fuck off. Aren't you overdue for an overdose or maybe a diagnosis of cirrhosis.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:31 am 
Master and Commander

Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 1738
awesomesmasher wrote:
You are a miserable and negative person.


Jeesus, what an indictment.

_________________
A's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:44 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 2708
maxson wrote:
Don't be so hating, 'cause that's not cool. See, hookah bars are like so cool. They're like all the things that make our city so cool. Bardstown road is so fucking cool. All these cool places to eat, and don't forget all the cool stores, where you can buy like really cool stuff. Louisville is so cool. There are all these cool bars, like where cool bands play and all your cool friends hang. You can drink like these cool craft beers or like just as cool cans of PBR. Like have you ever been down to the Flea? It too is so cool, all these cool people selling all this really cool stuff, and it's down in the cool Nulu cool arts district, because art is so cool. And everywhere you go, there are these cool food trucks, which are so cool because it's like these vans that like sell really cool food . . .

The wonder is that Severs and Maxson haven't aquired WMDs and blown the whole fraudulent shitpile to smithereens...as an echo of the ending of "The Return of the Living Dead".




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:37 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:07 pm
Posts: 3253
Location: right behind you
andrewpadon wrote:
awesomesmasher wrote:
You are a miserable and negative person.


Jeesus, what an indictment.

Tell me im wrong.

_________________
You cannot escape me! Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 577
Location: louisville
I don't have much of an opinion about Hookah bars, but I do like the people here and it bums me out to read this thread. I love the internet, but it sure can cause us to type things we'd never say out loud:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-is-everyone-on-the-internet-so-angry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:33 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:07 pm
Posts: 3253
Location: right behind you
carrie_neumayer wrote:
I don't have much of an opinion about Hookah bars, but I do like the people here and it bums me out to read this thread. I love the internet, but it sure can cause us to type things we'd never say out loud:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-is-everyone-on-the-internet-so-angry

Guilty. However I like to think I'm normally not a huge asshole on here. Maxson rarely has anything but bitter, cantankerous and negative things to say. All while glorifying the past. I'm not the only one that's sick of it.

_________________
You cannot escape me! Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: