Bardstown Road hookah bars

us vs. us
quasar
Shen-Long of the Internet

Bardstown Road hookah bars

Post by quasar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:14 am

Has anyone ever been inside one of these places? They are popping up everywhere on Bardstown Road so they must be popular, right? What goes on in there? Do you just sit and smoke a hookah or do they sell hookah and hookah parts or is the food awesome? I am totally confused on the appeal. Please help.
Paul Watkins
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Re: Bardstown Road hookah bars

Post by Paul Watkins » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 am

i rolled my eyes so hard when i saw that "Puff Puff Pass" sign that i nearly went blind.
Darth Radical

Post by Darth Radical » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:52 am

Paul Watkins wrote:i rolled my eyes so hard when i saw that "Puff Puff Pass" sign that i nearly went blind.
Yeah, seriously. The name of that place is whack. My question , is how can any business thrive when their clientele must be exclusively 18-20 year old kids?
Paul Watkins

Post by Paul Watkins » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:02 am

Darth Radical wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:i rolled my eyes so hard when i saw that "Puff Puff Pass" sign that i nearly went blind.
Yeah, seriously. The name of that place is whack. My question , is how can any business thrive when their clientele must be exclusively 18-20 year old kids?
even if they sold actual weed, i would still think the name sucked.

and thats coming from a former member of Alcohawk.
quasar

Post by quasar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeah but what is the commercial appeal? Cigarettes? Do we have a "hookah scene" here that is unrivaled anywhere else? What goes on there that's interesting. I never get a chance to go out that way or I would check it out.
no fun

Post by no fun » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Paul Watkins wrote:
Darth Radical wrote:

It's pretty stupid. I recognize that a lot of these hookah bars are springing up because of an influx of African / Middle Eastern immigrants moving to Louisville and starting businesses, but in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if the guys operating these businesses are setting up shop to eventually switch to coffee shop models in the very slim chance that Kentucky legalizes pot someday.

Either way, the owners of Cafe 360 must be pissed that the once lean and mean hookah bar market is oversaturated with shitty pretenders occupying what would otherwise be yet another pizza place.
quasar

Post by quasar » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:16 am

no fun wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:
Darth Radical wrote:

It's pretty stupid. I recognize that a lot of these hookah bars are springing up because of an influx of African / Middle Eastern immigrants moving to Louisville and starting businesses, but in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if the guys operating these businesses are setting up shop to eventually switch to coffee shop models in the very slim chance that Kentucky legalizes pot someday.

Either way, the owners of Cafe 360 must be pissed that the once lean and mean hookah bar market is oversaturated with shitty pretenders occupying what would otherwise be yet another pizza place.
I gotta add "weird hookah bar review" to my other ideas of goofy places to review. I need to make a list. I need to know wtf happens in there..

Overall it's just a boring idea. I KNOW some of our friends have better business ideas than this.
no fun

Post by no fun » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:33 am

I think more than anything it's a nightlife alternative for kids who aren't smart enough to get fake IDs.

I wish somebody would open a place where people could hang out with cats and drink coffee. I think it's a $25,000 idea.
quasar

Post by quasar » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:36 pm

no fun wrote:I think more than anything it's a nightlife alternative for kids who aren't smart enough to get fake IDs.

I wish somebody would open a place where people could hang out with cats and drink coffee. I think it's a $25,000 idea.

So many people tell me cool ideas yet never move on them. I'm not the kind to steal them (I got my own) but I know they are better than oh let's open a hookah bar...
Paul Watkins

Post by Paul Watkins » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:07 pm

no fun wrote:
Paul Watkins wrote:
Darth Radical wrote:

thats a good thought. i've wondered how people get the jump on startups in other states. who knows what will happen here though.
sucker
Message Bored Minion

Post by sucker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:22 pm

i don't get why we have all these smoke shops. on the idiot side, the kids that work at herb import company sit outback and smoke dope openly. i guess managment is not worried about getting busted.
maxson
Forum Super Soldier

Post by maxson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 am

Don't be so hating, 'cause that's not cool. See, hookah bars are like so cool. They're like all the things that make our city so cool. Bardstown road is so fucking cool. All these cool places to eat, and don't forget all the cool stores, where you can buy like really cool stuff. Louisville is so cool. There are all these cool bars, like where cool bands play and all your cool friends hang. You can drink like these cool craft beers or like just as cool cans of PBR. Like have you ever been down to the Flea? It too is so cool, all these cool people selling all this really cool stuff, and it's down in the cool Nulu cool arts district, because art is so cool. And everywhere you go, there are these cool food trucks, which are so cool because it's like these vans that like sell really cool food . . .

The wonder is that Severs and Maxson haven't aquired WMDs and blown the whole fraudulent shitpile to smithereens...as an echo of the ending of "The Return of the Living Dead".
Paul Watkins

Post by Paul Watkins » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:58 am

good fucking god, move the fuck out of town if you hate it so much.

i'm surprised your post wasn't "oh back in 81 we had REAL hookah bars".
seanroberts
Forum Super Soldier

Post by seanroberts » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:33 am

It's not just Bardstown Rd. Last night I saw two on my way home from band practice. One on 4th St near Winkler, one where Old Louisville Coffeehouse used to be.
awesomesmasher

Post by awesomesmasher » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:30 pm

maxson wrote:Don't be so hating, 'cause that's not cool. See, hookah bars are like so cool. They're like all the things that make our city so cool. Bardstown road is so fucking cool. All these cool places to eat, and don't forget all the cool stores, where you can buy like really cool stuff. Louisville is so cool. There are all these cool bars, like where cool bands play and all your cool friends hang. You can drink like these cool craft beers or like just as cool cans of PBR. Like have you ever been down to the Flea? It too is so cool, all these cool people selling all this really cool stuff, and it's down in the cool Nulu cool arts district, because art is so cool. And everywhere you go, there are these cool food trucks, which are so cool because it's like these vans that like sell really cool food . . .

The wonder is that Severs and Maxson haven't aquired WMDs and blown the whole fraudulent shitpile to smithereens...as an echo of the ending of "The Return of the Living Dead".
Yeah, fuck people enjoying their lives without being worried about whether or not someone will view them as genuine. You are a miserable and negative person. I feel so blessed to have been grace by the thoughts and opinions of such a non-fraudulent person. Fuck off. Aren't you overdue for an overdose or maybe a diagnosis of cirrhosis.
You cannot escape me! Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell.
evenmoregeneric
Forum Super Soldier

Post by evenmoregeneric » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm

related even though it's a smoke shop and not a hookah bar- http://www.wave3.com/story/23609507/rai ... ug-arrests

there's a Hookah Bar on Frankfort Ave now, too. I have never seen anyone in it- Just empty except for a soda cooler when you look in.
flexyournoggin
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Post by flexyournoggin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Casablanca? They have people in there sometimes, mostly just when I've seen belly dancing through the window. I've never been in, but have seen it empty as many times as I've seen it full.
evenmoregeneric wrote:there's a Hookah Bar on Frankfort Ave now, too. I have never seen anyone in it- Just empty except for a soda cooler when you look in.
hesher

Post by hesher » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:45 pm

The building the new Ultra Pop is used to be a hookah bar called "the haze" the land lord said two Russian dudes ran it and he had to kick them out. Sketch city.. fights all the time and underage drinking and drugs with a stripper in a VIP room which was the basement oh and it was 24 hours a day.

Last edited by hesher on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evenmoregeneric
Forum Super Soldier

Post by evenmoregeneric » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:47 pm

yeah, Casablanca is the place I was talking about and 8pm on school nights may not be the best time to get a feel for the place- that's when I typically pass it on foot.
Robert

Post by Robert » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 pm

awesomesmasher wrote:
maxson wrote:Don't be so hating, 'cause that's not cool. See, hookah bars are like so cool. They're like all the things that make our city so cool. Bardstown road is so fucking cool. All these cool places to eat, and don't forget all the cool stores, where you can buy like really cool stuff. Louisville is so cool. There are all these cool bars, like where cool bands play and all your cool friends hang. You can drink like these cool craft beers or like just as cool cans of PBR. Like have you ever been down to the Flea? It too is so cool, all these cool people selling all this really cool stuff, and it's down in the cool Nulu cool arts district, because art is so cool. And everywhere you go, there are these cool food trucks, which are so cool because it's like these vans that like sell really cool food . . .

Yeah, fuck people enjoying their lives without being worried about whether or not someone will view them as genuine. You are a miserable and negative person. I feel so blessed to have been grace by the thoughts and opinions of such a non-fraudulent person. Fuck off. Aren't you overdue for an overdose or maybe a diagnosis of cirrhosis.
andrewpadon
Master and Commander

Post by andrewpadon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:31 am

awesomesmasher wrote:You are a miserable and negative person.
Jeesus, what an indictment.
no fun

Post by no fun » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:44 pm

awesomesmasher

Post by awesomesmasher » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:37 pm

andrewpadon wrote:
awesomesmasher wrote:You are a miserable and negative person.
Jeesus, what an indictment.
Tell me im wrong.
You cannot escape me! Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell.
carrie_neumayer
Forum Super Soldier

Post by carrie_neumayer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 pm

I don't have much of an opinion about Hookah bars, but I do like the people here and it bums me out to read this thread. I love the internet, but it sure can cause us to type things we'd never say out loud:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... t-so-angry
awesomesmasher

Post by awesomesmasher » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:33 am

carrie_neumayer wrote:I don't have much of an opinion about Hookah bars, but I do like the people here and it bums me out to read this thread. I love the internet, but it sure can cause us to type things we'd never say out loud:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... t-so-angry
Guilty. However I like to think I'm normally not a huge asshole on here. Maxson rarely has anything but bitter, cantankerous and negative things to say. All while glorifying the past. I'm not the only one that's sick of it.