It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 am

Post subject: Louisville Music Archive?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:36 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

In case you didn't know, U of L has started the Louisville Underground Music Archive Project. This was something that Aron Conaway started on for them years ago, if I'm not mistaken, and it's good to see that it's up and running for real. Their goal is to start "actively collecting a wide variety of materials including oral histories, show recordings, set lists, photographs, zines, posters, flyers, t-shirts, ephemera, correspondence, business records, and early web history related to the music scene."

Also, does anybody know anything about this abandoned website? http://louisvillemusicarchive.com

Ein neuer, böser Tanz. Alle gegen Alle!

Post subject: Re: Louisville Music Archive?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

This is a really cool project, I love archives. I'd really like to see a compiled vinyl discography of underground music from Louisville. I've been trying to keep a spreadsheet going, but there's so much I keep finding out about!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:42 pm 
Shen-Long of the Internet

I think this is Jason Clark's site. I have been meaning to send him a ton of mp3s that I ripped a bit ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 am 
Master and Commander

This is a fantastic project. I've got so many things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:12 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Not to dissuade anyone from doing what they want to do with the things they've saved and collected...but this coin does have a second side. A central archive is an awesome idea. But consider this:

UofL as the depository? The University that historically has actively done nothing to support the scene? As for the people behind the archive, one is a member of Juanita and the rest have no clue about the context of the material.

There is so much more I could say. But consider this:

A bit over a year ago, this guy named Bill Carner retired from a long career heading up the photographic archives at UofL. His personal work is down there, all the fucking negatives. He's been generous with his images over the years. Check out the Noise Pollution "Bold Beginnings" booklet, or Drag City's reissue of the Endtables...or, for fuck's sake, the crap I scanned for the louisvillepunk archive. Bill did an amazing job of documenting the very early punk scene, from Nedelkoff's Barn through both New Wave festivals at the Red Barn to basically defining what the months at the Windmill down on Main looked like. Easily enough for an awesome book...except...eh...no one down at the University was smart enough to figure that out.

Archives as entombing amber...that's for bugs!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

I say good for UofL for doing something now. Who cares who works there or what their affiliation is to Louisville punk/hardcore/indie/whatever?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:21 am 

maxson wrote:
Easily enough for an awesome book...except...eh...no one down at the University was smart enough to figure that out

That's not the point of an archive, is it? Isn't it more that they preserve the work so that future generations can have access to it? If you think a book should be published, go collect the photos, get the rights and publish it instead of complaining about the people who are making sure the work is still there in the future when someone wants to do just that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:15 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Well, there is that distinction between the active and the passive archive. As well as that between the professional and the amateur. Most university-based archives don't say, yo! give us yer stuff for free. And it's not like this is disparate stuff spread across the city like the fallen leaves of autumn. I've been in Bucayu's basement, I've stood in Sever's lair...the archiving has already been done! The only question is the collecting, collating and cataloguing. And that's where I worry. The vital information lost when the processing is done by those who don't know the material. Work-study students. Oh sure, we can all volunteer to do that work on our personal collections. But fuck, I'm done with the benefit shows, art auctions for a good cause. Especially when dealing with an institution willing to pay 3.5M to rehire the traitor/disgrace named Petrino. Just sayin'.

Which, still, doesn't mean I'm against the project. I just wish savvier people were involved.

There's a brilliant book of essays by Delmore Schwartz titled The Ego is Always at the Wheel. Sometimes I wish the ego would park at the curb and just shut the fuck up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:03 am 

I would rather give UofL anything to archive than a potentially biased third party. Ostensibly UofL is indifferent to what they collect, and would likely be as interested in collecting an old Slint bootleg as they would be a Dump Gang demo tape.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:25 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Darth Radical wrote:
I would rather give UofL anything to archive than a potentially biased third party. Ostensibly UofL is indifferent to what they collect, and would likely be as interested in collecting an old Slint bootleg as they would be a Dump Gang demo tape.

That's a very valid point and I totally agree. Objectivity is paramount. In my mind, a central tenet of this flyer book I've been involved in--these were the bands, not these were the bands we thought were cool. Bands I loathed back in the day, and still think suck, were nevertheless a part of the story; my bias should stay in my own brain, and like, take up knitting.

Another point. Yes UofL will treat a Slint bootleg the same as a Dump Gang demo. They'll put 'em in a box. In a climate-controlled room, which basically means a half-step up from modern day HVAC...hygrometers! Here's the rub, as I understand it...and yea, there are copyright issues, so no music will be allowed beyond a listen basis...the material will be digitized only on-demand. Meaning, yea, that Slint bootleg might make the transition...sorry Dump Gang demo! And thus subjectivity rules! gets to raise its ugly head.

Archiving is about preservation. And magnetic tape is winding down its lifespan. Particularly the crappy blank commercial cassettes that're home to a ton of really great music.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:14 am 
Master and Commander

I thought Louisville Music Archive was something Matt Goth Olsen was trying to do back in like 09 I want to say? He wanted to do a site where you could essentially stream songs from Louisville projects...but...there was a napster like debate over the potential money the artists would miss out on (lol).

I think the U of L thing is a pretty cool idea. Up to this point the only archive has been the handful of people that lovingly collect and curate on their own. It would be pretty beneficial for Louisville to somehow have something that passes a legacy from one generation of underground musicians to the next. I always felt like there was never any passing of torches. It would be neat to see if things would improve if the scene belonged to the city, and not a few cliques of cooler-thans.

I do find it a bit strange that out of all the things they mention they are collecting, music is not mentioned...but business records are? I'm sure that's just their way of saying "anything and everything about louisville underground bands" and the music is assumed. Otherwise, I look forward to learning about bands spending habits and having no clue what they sound like.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:12 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Doug Walker wrote:
of all the things they mention they are collecting, music is not mentioned...

Exactly. They want the evidence of the music, not the music itself...they want to snatch all your paper and cloth and...

I'll stop the rant and refocus. I think a central archive is a great if not at all new idea. I'm going to sit down and spell out my thoughts on this subject, in a unique posting, and then be done with it. Fair enough?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:59 am 
Forum Super Soldier

I am a part of the LUMA advisory board and I am confident that the material that is donated is going to be extremely well taken care of. The advisory board has a great group of folks involved who have all given a lot of input into the way the collection will work and organized. I really do think it's a positive thing. So much of the stuff that is out there will be so well preserved and taken care of. It will be able live on for so many years into the future and inspire projects and research. Anyone can visit the collection, for free, any time. I don't see how it can be anything but positive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:02 am 
Forum Super Soldier

..and music is absolutely being collected! I just dropped off a huge donation of 7"s, cassettes, and CDs that was being donated by LEO and Scott Ritcher (via Carrie Butler)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 pm 

Doug Walker wrote:
(lol)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 pm 
Message Bored Minion

The "savvy" folks who have already archived stuff tend to be pretty stingy with letting people access it. Often for valid reasons, but still how does that help 95% of the people who would be interested in having access to it all? What good is an archive moldering in a basement after those dudes die? Someone will either throw them out or they will be ransacked for "good stuff" and the rest tossed, or, at best, someone will donate it to the UofL archive in 20, 30, 40+ years anyway. I think this is long overdue and I'm glad to see it happening.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:41 am 
Forum Super Soldier

rebelbelle wrote:
The "savvy" folks who have already archived stuff tend to be pretty stingy with letting people access it.

Or not. http://louisvillepunk.awardspace.com/

And I did not mean to imply that LUMA was not accepting music. Viva vinyl--it will outlive us all! And given advances in 3D scanning technology, the music will be readable even after the last turntable on earth groans to a halt. CDs are not archival, but it'll be awhile before the layers start separating, and at any rate the music is digital and likely is spread across the planet. But cassettes? Quarter-inch reels? Half-inch reels?...magnetic tape, particularly of a certain age, is at the end of its life. The metallic particles are flaking. Or in the inner spools the chemical reactions are making things gooey--why sometimes tapes have to be "baked". What good is an archive moldering in a climate controlled University setting?

I was prepared to make a clever analogy about the full run of Burt the Cat that LUMA has received. How surely they would "play" each issue to index the material, and in doing so "record" said tracks to digital files. That was my assumption! I trust that they will do hi-res scans of every page of every issue. Newsprint paper is notoriously highly acidic. Yea, there are procedures these days whereby you can de-acidify paper, stopping but not reversing the damage, but that doesn't begin to address the brittleness associated with the short fibers of cheap wood pulp paper, not to mention the volatile nature of the inks involved in cheap newsprint pressing.

Knowledge is power, and information doesn't necessarily require credit hours. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:56 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

I talked to the crew at Flea Off today. Everything sounds very legit. The four women at the booth are all staff/faculty, so concerns about the archive dropping off once someone graduates thankfully can be disregarded. They have servers set up with space for digital recordings, photos, and scans. A listening station is in their roadmap and they're working out how that access will be setup. I talked for over a half hour and pretty much every question I asked was met with a well put thorough answer that I saw as excellent. They had more than a few people coming up and donating stuff today and will be back tomorrow. I'm going to be organizing some of my stuff soon to see what I'm ok with parting with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:22 pm 

Your resistance is futile. This is happening at a University instead of some hoarders house. I want all of my Jefferson Tarc Bus recordings preserved for all time, dammit. Academia!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:37 am 
Forum Super Soldier

I'm totally putting these people in my will. I've built up quite a collection myself and I think it's very important that these kinds of things don't get broken and lost over time. Hope it continues to go strong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 am 

flexyournoggin wrote:
I talked to the crew at Flea Off today. Everything sounds very legit. The four women at the booth are all staff/faculty, so concerns about the archive dropping off once someone graduates thankfully can be disregarded.

They're real, trained, experienced archivists who are good people to boot. They're not just some dude.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm 

I will be dropping off a batch of fliers, zines, etc. that were from Scott Ritcher, along with whatever vinyl and cassettes I can donate. My friend Erin Keane, who is a reporter at WFPL interviewed me as I went through it all. I'll probably sound like a big dingus.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:14 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Yup! Exactly.
Robert wrote:
They're real, trained, experienced archivists who are good people to boot. They're not just some dude.