It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:38 am

Should Cahoots tear down the kitchen and get serious about the music?
Yes. Tear down the kitchen and make it a real venue. 71%  71%  [ 17 ]
No. Keep it a bar/restaurant that occasionally has shows. 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Re: Hey Cahoots. Either get serious or stop.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:54 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

ok... i got an idea...

close the back bar and use some of that space to put a scaled down version of the kitchen there. wall up the back.

build the original stage where the current kitchen is now.

problem solved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:06 pm 
Master and Commander

I should temper my suggestions by saying I think Marsha can and should do whatever the fuck she wants with her own business.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Quote:
you know. really someone could just wait until they go out of buisness (blaming the smoking ban instead of the noch bar) and turn it into an all ages non/alcohol serving venue.

hahaha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:22 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Quote:
you know. really someone could just wait until they go out of buisness (blaming the smoking ban instead of the noch bar) and turn it into an all ages non/alcohol serving venue.

An all ages venue would last ...at the longest....6 months maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:22 am 
Message Bored Minion

I liked Tewligans best when it didn't have a raised area on the side. However, I like Cahoots too. I like the food, for bar food. I am glad that I got to play in that building again. It had been 21 years since I first played in that building when Parlour played at Cahoots in December.
I think it would be cool with the pool table gone and a stage that isn't too high. A stage could go in front of the kitchen maybe, but it wouldn't be too bad if it were on the side or in the corner between the kitchen and where they have been doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:22 am 
Master and Commander

DD wrote:
quasar wrote:
hstencil wrote:
clearly you never saw a show at tewligan's.

Not only that but I personally see a huge opportunity being half assed. No offense to those involved because I am grateful for all efforts to showcase music in all forms at all places but this place in particular has so much opportunity that I personally want to see it done to the fullest extent to which it can. Put a little bit of money and innovation behind it and you could have something spectacular. Better than it once was. But yes, a big part of this poll was due to the history of the space. Maybe it's my pride getting stoked a bit but that's only because I remember what was when it was and HATED to see it go only to return in this form.

There has to be a certain level of seediness to the building or the Devil reclaims it. Sorry but the booze stays.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:55 pm 
Message Bored Minion

As others have said, a small stage would be nice; however, after playing and witnessing shows at cahoots, what matters most is that it sounds great in there.

I am friends with someone very involved with the bar and was thinking about introducing them to this thread so that they can read peoples feedback and possibly put this discussion into action.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 pm 
Message Bored Minion

OK, another blast from the past.

It's been three years since this poll was posted. A lot of shows have been played at Cahoots and the kitchen still remains. What's everybody's opinion now?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:45 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I think they've achieved a pretty nice balance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:51 pm 
Master and Commander

They do a good job with balance, but they do limit how big the shows they can do are still. It would be cool to have a venue in that could do something bigger than what cahoots can handle, but the room be small enough that it wouldn't feel empty if you had say 300-500. In a sense of what bands are gonna want, of course I still would love to see them get rid of the kitchen, clear out the booths, and open that room completely up...but they got a business to run, and I like the food there.

I like how it is there. I don't necessarily agree with everything they do as far as how they handle booking, but if you can get past the headache, the shows are usually pretty fun to play. If I could take the way the Mag Bar treats bands, combine it with the location at cahoots, and open the room up a bit more...I'd never book shows anywhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

I went there a few weeks ago to see a show. It was the first time I'd been there in nearly a decade. After hearing all the stories from there over the years, I expected to walk out with syphilis on my shirt but it was no dirtier than the average dirty bar.
Clientele was weird: mostly people aspiring in their hipness and those who'd abandoned the notion altogether (e.g. Juggalos).
The sound wasn't great but not terrible. There seemed to be plenty of space for people who wanted to see the bands but such people were a minority. Most were there to do whatever it is that people do there (though, to be fair, I saw no hard drugs while there and wasn't solicited). I guess people go there for the crowd and the food? It seems fine. It would have been a better place for a bigger show (but not such a big show that those playing or listening would give that much of a damn about great sound).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:54 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Cahoots has the best bar food ever. I question the cleanliness of it, but it's fucking good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:30 pm 
Master and Commander

Yea. I'd miss the food there more than i'd be happy about an extra 10-20 feet of space for shows.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:59 pm 
Message Bored Minion

I think Cahoot's is what it is, and it's perfectly acceptable in that context. It isn't a venue that has booze and food. It's a bar with food that has bands. I heard from a credible source that it was recently offered for sale to an uninterested party I won't name here, though. So.......who knows what the future holds.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:13 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Doug Walker wrote:
Yea. I'd miss the food there more than i'd be happy about an extra 10-20 feet of space for shows.

Truth. Although my heart would probably be okay with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:17 am 

i haven't seen the stage yet, but anything that helps my pedals/cables not get covered in the vile black filth on the floor is good in my book.

seriously, that shit is fucking gross. have they EVER mopped that place? i jokingly considered sending them a fucking invoice for new cables.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:43 am 
Master and Commander

Joe Dunman wrote:
OK, another blast from the past.

It's been three years since this poll was posted. A lot of shows have been played at Cahoots and the kitchen still remains. What's everybody's opinion now?

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:50 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Paul Watkins wrote:
i haven't seen the stage yet, but anything that helps my pedals/cables not get covered in the vile black filth on the floor is good in my book.

seriously, that shit is fucking gross. have they EVER mopped that place? i jokingly considered sending them a fucking invoice for new cables.

HAHA man i remember kit falling on the ground shirtless during your alls show there, i cant imagine what kind of resident evil style dna mutations will occur in him in a few years. hopefully he just turns into one of those killer crocs from RE5.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:07 pm 
Master and Commander

the bush league show in feb, there was the black ichor of death, mixed with blood...it was pretty gnarly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:08 pm 

I don't care either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:05 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

shivelycore wrote:
I don't care either way.

Thank you for this insightful reply. Please feel free to comment in the classified section that you "Don't have the money to buy that," when you have a free minute.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:12 pm 

xPeterx wrote:
shivelycore wrote:
I don't care either way.

Thank you for this insightful reply. Please feel free to comment in the classified section that you "Don't have the money to buy that," when you have a free minute.

A+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:55 pm 

xPeterx wrote:
shivelycore wrote:
I don't care either way.

Someone was asking for opinions on this shit and that is how I feel. Especially since ill most likely never be playing another show there. Sorry I didn't pontificate about some crucial moshage for you bro.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:20 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Don't forget the remnants of several broken glasses.
Doug Walker wrote:
the bush league show in feb, there was the black ichor of death, mixed with blood...it was pretty gnarly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:41 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Well, I remember when the place was a biker bar called Funktion Junction, the main draw soaped across the front window: Free Popcorn!! I think of 70's bikers rutting in the spilled butter...the location comes by its nastiness honestly. Especially since that building has apparently never owned a mop. So you'll understand the tug at my heart. I can verify that Cahoots has the best fries in the universe. The B-side of the Your Food LP was recorded live at Tewligans. But really, I think the safest thing to do would be to entomb the building in a lead-lined concrete dome...in the hopes that someday, centuries from now, our descendants might figure out a way to cleanse the building.