It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How did you pay for school?
Scholarship 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
Money came from family 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
A shitload of student loans I will be paying off until I'm 58 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 23
Author Message
 Post subject: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:38 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 2708
When you paid for school, how did you go about doing it? I'm preparing FAFSA paperwork, but I think I'm going to have to take out some serious loans to get through the four year program. Also, if you took out lots of student loans, how far behind in debt are you? I'm planning on UL since their campus is walking distance from my apartment, so if you've attended one of their four year programs, I'd love to know what you think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:04 pm 
Forum Super Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:05 am
Posts: 965
Location: Louisville
where is the "all of the above" box?

_________________
Never Nervous
Dunkenstein Records


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:40 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:19 pm
Posts: 2132
you can check all 3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:49 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:26 pm
Posts: 1606
Location: YO FACE
UPS
freel. though it starting to pay less and less, if it wasn't for ups i wouldn't even try to attend uofl.

_________________
when there's a Teen Pregnancy! Christ mascot dog shooting crucifixes they nail to a cross dying to save the team


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:52 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:21 pm
Posts: 1197
Location: The Negative Zone
no fun wrote:
When you paid for school, how did you go about doing it? I'm preparing FAFSA paperwork, but I think I'm going to have to take out some serious loans to get through the four year program. Also, if you took out lots of student loans, how far behind in debt are you? I'm planning on UL since their campus is walking distance from my apartment, so if you've attended one of their four year programs, I'd love to know what you think.


I'm also going to be in this situation too. I plan on going back to school in the Spring and have to take loans. The way I'm looking at it is "Well, you have to be in debt at sometime anyway." Might as well be for getting an education. And even if I am paying off student loans, I'll still be making way more than I am now.

If you don't have well-off family, or grades good enough to get grants/scholarships and such, loans are the only way of going about it. From what I've seen anyway. I went to school right out of high school because that's what my parents wanted for two semesters, and totally did horrible. Now I'm older and want to go back. And paying for the mistakes I made as a young boy.

If anyone wants to donate to the "Nick Haynes wants to go to school" fund let me know.

_________________
vietnamted wrote:
Your forced ignorance reminds me of girls pretending to be dumber than they are because they think it's attractive. From what you have written, I know you are smart.
I am smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:57 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 9:51 am
Posts: 4007
I took, and will continue to take out loans, though I've always had my tuition (and then some), at every level, covered by scholarships, grants, and fellowships. Student loans, especially the subsidized ones, are the best loans you'll ever get in your life. I've been advised by every money person I know (inc. my dad, the lawyer/accountant) to take subsidized loans, within reason, if I ever need to. If you have a future that's, more or less, secure and you can borrow from it to ameliorate the poverty of the present, why not?

I didn't go borrowing willie nillie, though. My wife and I between us have, I think, about $10K in student loan debt and will probably accrue another $10K before I'm done with school.


Last edited by Robert on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:00 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:21 pm
Posts: 1197
Location: The Negative Zone
robertbell wrote:
I took, and will continue to take out loans, though I've always had my tuition (and then some) covered by scholarships, grants, and fellowships. Student loans, especially the subsidized ones, are the best loans you'll ever get in your life. I've been advised by every money person I know (inc. my dad, the lawyer/accountant) to take subsidized loans, within reason, if I ever need to. If you have a future that's, more or less, secure and you can borrow from it to ameliorate the poverty of the present, why not?


Can anyone suggest who to go through for loans? I can openly admit I have NO IDEA how to choose a good loan, for this is my first one. I was looking at this Federal Stafford Loan but it doesn't even cover a full year's tuition at a community college. Keep in mind I'm 22. And that my parents probably wouldn't co-sign on anything. Does this rain on my parade?

_________________
vietnamted wrote:
Your forced ignorance reminds me of girls pretending to be dumber than they are because they think it's attractive. From what you have written, I know you are smart.
I am smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:09 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 9:51 am
Posts: 4007
NickHaynes wrote:
Does this rain on my parade?


Then get the Perkins too, if you need to. It's unsubsidized but it should cover your needs. Take as few of those as possible but, still, it's better IMO to do well in school with as little outside jobs as possible (except in the summer) and have to pay off loans later than to try to work full-time to pay for school. Your work will suffer, and if you think you might want to, at some point, need to show success rather than the diploma (e.g. if you want to go to law school or something), a poor GPA will hurt you, long-term, more than a few loans.

Also, school in KY isn't that expensive. Even if you have to swallow loans to cover all of your tution for four years, at UL, that's what? $50K or so? It's not nothing but it costs that much for one year some places.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:10 pm 
Forum Super Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:23 pm
Posts: 518
Location: Louisville! Fuck yeah!
worked 2 part time jobs plus a campus job, didn't have a car so no outlay or gas money there, child support saved by my mom over the course of my childhood (from 5 to 17) that added up to maybe 300 dollars, a small inheritance, and some scholarship money. I am damn lucky I didn't have to take any loans, and that I went to an in state university when it was still cheap - I think each semester was about 2k back in 91-96.

if I were to have to go through all that now, I would avoid loans like the plague, possibly to the detriment of a college education.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:12 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 1580
In my first go round my parents paid my touition while I worked to pay my rent/food/expenses, though they would send me a few bucks here and there.

My second go round was covered by grants.

At this point "the man" says I am too rich to give me money and since I refuse to get loans I will be paying for my school with whatever profit I make from selling my house and possibly selling my vw bus and other things I have collected over the years. Even in a shit economy I am making a lot of money selling my old stuff on ebay and other places.

So for the most part I will pay my own way through school with working and selling things. I may at some point have to get loans but I do NOT want to get my degree and owe more than 5k or so in loans. Ill save the student loans for if I decide to get a masters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:13 pm 
Forum Super Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:47 pm
Posts: 817
Location: Clifton
Scholarships & loans & worked...i advise against the loans if at all possible.

_________________
I like girls that got no friends.
I like girls with minds that bend.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:18 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:21 pm
Posts: 1197
Location: The Negative Zone
BabyPop wrote:
Scholarships & loans & worked...i advise against the loans if at all possible.


Loans is the only option, and I work like 35 hours a week to pay my rent/bills/gas/food all that. I will be working all day, school on night. But atleast I have the weekends off.

_________________
vietnamted wrote:
Your forced ignorance reminds me of girls pretending to be dumber than they are because they think it's attractive. From what you have written, I know you are smart.
I am smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:24 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:19 pm
Posts: 2132
I have student loans through Sallie Mae, they give them to almost anyone. I wish I could go back in time and slap myself in highschool. Heh I wish I could go back to my first years of college and slap myself to either try harder or to quit. I dropped out with 8 credit hours to graduate, i know stupid and now any bank needs a cosigner for me due to the 30k in loans i have. "you dont have bad credit.. just to much credit. sorry"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:35 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 1580
NickHaynes wrote:
BabyPop wrote:
Scholarships & loans & worked...i advise against the loans if at all possible.


Loans is the only option, and I work like 35 hours a week to pay my rent/bills/gas/food all that. I will be working all day, school on night. But atleast I have the weekends off.



Save your money for the tuition. Only take as many hours of class as you can afford. Thats pretty much what I am going to do. Its going to take a while to finish but Id rather wait a little longer and not owe money when I get out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:40 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:21 pm
Posts: 1197
Location: The Negative Zone
DD wrote:
NickHaynes wrote:
BabyPop wrote:
Scholarships & loans & worked...i advise against the loans if at all possible.


Loans is the only option, and I work like 35 hours a week to pay my rent/bills/gas/food all that. I will be working all day, school on night. But atleast I have the weekends off.



Save your money for the tuition. Only take as many hours of class as you can afford. Thats pretty much what I am going to do. Its going to take a while to finish but Id rather wait a little longer and not owe money when I get out.


God damn...I'll be in college for the rest of my life. I really don't want to do what I'm doing now for that long, living on the money that I do. And call me crazy, but I'd like to have some kids one day and to be able to give them a good life. I don't want to wait until I'm 45 to have a family.

_________________
vietnamted wrote:
Your forced ignorance reminds me of girls pretending to be dumber than they are because they think it's attractive. From what you have written, I know you are smart.
I am smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:43 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 1580
NickHaynes wrote:
DD wrote:
NickHaynes wrote:
BabyPop wrote:
Scholarships & loans & worked...i advise against the loans if at all possible.


Loans is the only option, and I work like 35 hours a week to pay my rent/bills/gas/food all that. I will be working all day, school on night. But atleast I have the weekends off.



Save your money for the tuition. Only take as many hours of class as you can afford. Thats pretty much what I am going to do. Its going to take a while to finish but Id rather wait a little longer and not owe money when I get out.


God damn...I'll be in college for the rest of my life. I really don't want to do what I'm doing now for that long, living on the money that I do. And call me crazy, but I'd like to have some kids one day and to be able to give them a good life. I don't want to wait until I'm 45 to have a family.



Well I am 36 (well in two weeks) and dont at ALL mind waiting until I am 45 to have kids. Fucks sake I'm still a kid myself.

Well edited to add: In perspective I am already over half way to my Bachelors so it wont take THAT long taking 9 or so hours a semester plus doing summer school.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:50 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:21 pm
Posts: 1197
Location: The Negative Zone
DD wrote:
NickHaynes wrote:
DD wrote:
NickHaynes wrote:
BabyPop wrote:
Scholarships & loans & worked...i advise against the loans if at all possible.


Loans is the only option, and I work like 35 hours a week to pay my rent/bills/gas/food all that. I will be working all day, school on night. But atleast I have the weekends off.



Save your money for the tuition. Only take as many hours of class as you can afford. Thats pretty much what I am going to do. Its going to take a while to finish but Id rather wait a little longer and not owe money when I get out.


God damn...I'll be in college for the rest of my life. I really don't want to do what I'm doing now for that long, living on the money that I do. And call me crazy, but I'd like to have some kids one day and to be able to give them a good life. I don't want to wait until I'm 45 to have a family.



Well I am 36 (well in two weeks) and dont at ALL mind waiting until I am 45 to have kids. Fucks sake I'm still a kid myself.

Well edited to add: In perspective I am already over half way to my Bachelors so it wont take THAT long taking 9 or so hours a semester plus doing summer school.


Its pretty much a fresh start for me.

_________________
vietnamted wrote:
Your forced ignorance reminds me of girls pretending to be dumber than they are because they think it's attractive. From what you have written, I know you are smart.
I am smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:29 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 1580
I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT YOU SHOULD DO SUMMER SCHOOL!

The individual class times are longer but its usually intensive course learning so you can get a lot of credits out of the way if you take one or two classes per summer session. I am going to hopefully do my math and language requirements during summer sessions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:50 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:29 pm
Posts: 16829
Location: Louisville
Off and on for 9 years to get a Bachelors, I have a bit over $24K of debt from it, and will be paying at least $340/mo for the next 10 years. I'd say get a 2nd (weekend) job that has a lot of downtime (such as 3rd shift front desk at a hotel or work at the UPS store) that will allow you to sit there and do homework and get paid. It'll help take a chunk out of your repayments.

_________________
duncan wrote:
im a turtle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:20 pm 
Master and Commander
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 1580
I agree. Especially since a bachelors is not going to get me much better of a job than I already have. It would be different if I was going into engineering or something.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:03 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 2708
robertbell wrote:
I took, and will continue to take out loans, though I've always had my tuition (and then some), at every level, covered by scholarships, grants, and fellowships. Student loans, especially the subsidized ones, are the best loans you'll ever get in your life. I've been advised by every money person I know (inc. my dad, the lawyer/accountant) to take subsidized loans, within reason, if I ever need to. If you have a future that's, more or less, secure and you can borrow from it to ameliorate the poverty of the present, why not?

I didn't go borrowing willie nillie, though. My wife and I between us have, I think, about $10K in student loan debt and will probably accrue another $10K before I'm done with school.


Rob:

Did you have any significant employment after you took out those loans? I work full time as a cab driver, but if I could somehow get away with going to an 18 month nursing program and pay my rent / phone / grocery bills on the cheap during the time I'm going to school, I would much rather do that and work weekends and part time rather than try to run a weekly racket with business as slow as it is. I know that I'd have more to pay back, but if I do a shorter program at JCC, find employment with a hospital that will pay for future tuition, and go back later for more education, then I'd have a better chance of having good grades and maintaining focus. Do they allow for that sort of thing?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:05 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 2708
DD wrote:
I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT YOU SHOULD DO SUMMER SCHOOL!

The individual class times are longer but its usually intensive course learning so you can get a lot of credits out of the way if you take one or two classes per summer session. I am going to hopefully do my math and language requirements during summer sessions.


This seems like a really necessary thing to do unless you're really young and you have time to fuck around during the summer. I just turned 25 and I want to get through school and into the workforce as soon as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:33 pm 
Message Bored Minion

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:56 am
Posts: 277
i refused to do anything involving loans because i dont want debt and shit, especially for a shitty education. I got scholarships that covered about half and my parents gave me about 1,500 for the first semester and I started working at UPS this week so that'll cover next semester. After that I'm dropping out. I can't wait. U of L sucks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:02 pm 
Message Bored Minion
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:43 am
Posts: 75
UPS (and credit cards) got me through undergrad...

Student loans (and credit cards) got me through master's...

TAship and bankruptcy getting me through doctorate...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attn: College students and alumni
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:57 am 
Message Bored Minion
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:56 pm
Posts: 289
I was lucky enough to have my parents put me through school at U of L, but I had to pay for grad school. I took out loans and now I have my Masters, but I owe damn near $20,000. I make about $5,000 more than I would if I didn't have my Masters, but with the economy the way it is now it's all pretty much a wash. I'm definitely going to be getting a job next summer while we're off from school. For that matter, if I wasn't coaching basketball and problem solving I would have a second job now.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: