It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Venues
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:50 am 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

no fun wrote:
Doug Walker wrote:
Maybe someone less sleazeball will buy it. And turn it into a Barcade. That does awesome all ages shows.

If only I had $150,000 sitting around.

figures i'm kicking around are less than that...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:15 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

a barcade is where it's at. some old room mates and i talked about doing that, but we weren't fiscally in a position to do it. this was right after the pour haus closed, and we talked about how rad it would be to put it there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 pm 

haas wrote:
no fun wrote:
Doug Walker wrote:
Maybe someone less sleazeball will buy it. And turn it into a Barcade. That does awesome all ages shows.

If only I had $150,000 sitting around.

figures i'm kicking around are less than that...

I'd just like to have that kind of money as a buffer for hard times. Jamie started up Skull Alley with about $50,000 successfully, but for something like this to work, you'd need buffer money, or investors, or a way to generate income that pads the lack of income that would exist for having shows. There's not a lot of money in an all ages venue, but if you can combine it with something that does generate revenue, it would work.

As a sidebar, Zanzabar comes close to being an awesome barcade that does shows, but they're not an all ages option.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:45 pm 
Message Bored Minion

I live at the Chestnut St. House with Moe, Tyler, Alex, Cam, Chesley, Mikey and Melissa. The bands we play in are Young Lions, Brave Youth, Damaged Goods, Rattletooth, Another Mistake, and Admiral Ackbar, if that helps. With the death of Skull Alley we are fully aware that there will be a whole lot of requests for shows at our house. We are always willing to listen to any request, but might not always be down to set up the show. Mostly, we use it for shows we set up, or our close (reliable) friends want to do. We work hard to do our part to keep punk rock alive in Louisville, but we don't want our house to become a venue. That being said, I love being able to do shows at the house and I'm really glad people think we're doing a good job.

If you want to book a show or have any questions shoot me a line at mowgli.sp@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:07 pm 

no fun wrote:
There's not a lot of money in an all ages venue, but if you can combine it with something that does generate revenue, it would work.

that's what the drugs is for

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:33 am 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

FTFY

haas wrote:
no fun wrote:
There's not a lot of money in an all ages venue, but if you can combine it with something that does generate revenue, it would work.

that's what the black market baby trade is for. gotta do something with all those after-show accident kids

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:18 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Adam, I started skull alley with about $12,000, not $50,000. If I'd had $50,000 to invest things would've gone much much much differently.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm 

Brightskull wrote:
Adam, I started skull alley with about $12,000, not $50,000. If I'd had $50,000 to invest things would've gone much much much differently.

Whoa. Did not know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:39 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Nightmare Music wrote:
a barcade is where it's at. some old room mates and i talked about doing that, but we weren't fiscally in a position to do it. this was right after the pour haus closed, and we talked about how rad it would be to put it there.

I always wanted to start a BBQcade/record store at that house next to Genny's. Wetnaps would be the new PBR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I would kill for a viable venue on Frankfort Avenue.

Longshot's is up for sale, but the price is waaaay too expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

evenmoregeneric wrote:
Longshot's is up for sale, but the price is waaaay too expensive.

Are you serious? This sucks. I hope that Dark Star does not become the last ungentrified* place in my hood. The places on Mellwood/Story are going to be too much of a schlep for a school night pop-in and DS is more or less on my "banned" list. Rover is nice for drinks, but can be a bit much for me sometimes b/w the bar crowd and the food crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:48 pm 

Dark Star is cool for a chill drink, but goddamn i have never seen so many cougars hanging out at a non-jim porters place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 pm 

I don't like the "professional couples" vibe of Dark Star on the weekend. Everybody is taken. Everybody has a "real job". It makes me want to shoot myself in the face and retire to a place where the drinks are stronger and the bar is set much, much lower.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:17 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110127/ZONE07/301270049/Metro+Councilman+James+seeks+to+legalize+live+entertainment+in+Old+Louisville

That could prove to be a useful development.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 pm 

evenmoregeneric wrote:

It's news to me that you couldn't have live bands play there to begin with. Where exactly does the zoning law start to apply? How do the Rudyard Kipling, 3rd Avenue Cafe, and Sunergos get away with having shows?

It would be nice to see it pan out into something cool. Duncan found some property on 7th and Hill that looked like it might be all right, but I think that neighborhood might be too sketch for some people to come out regularly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

Quote:
Since then, property owners have been required to adhere to the original uses of buildings and lots, although existing non-conforming uses were allowed to continue operating unchanged.

I wondered that too but I think this is how the Rud etc can have shows. I had no idea this was a rule. There's not many places in that area that could have shows but don't right now. There's some industrial buildings west of Central Park like right by 7th that would work and not be shady. There's a lot of places scattered around that are basically a constantly changing string of barber shops, salons, and restaurants that might work though. I lived a block away from 7th and Hill for years but still wouldn't feel comfortable hanging out there at night regularly. Too much bullshit. Also, we were broken into SO OFTEN on 6th and mag to the point where I imagine running a welcoming business like a venue (where barring all the windows liquor store style isnt an awesome option) would be a pain in the ass.

The old salvation army building on 5th and ky could be badass though, when I was still entertaining the idea of punk rock putt putt I wanted to put it there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 pm 
Master and Commander

paulw wrote:
Dark Star is cool for a chill drink, but goddamn i have never seen so many cougars hanging out at a non-jim porters place.

mental note: grab a beer at dark star.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:38 pm 

DD wrote:
paulw wrote:

mental note: grab a beer at dark star.

do it. i only go up there with friends on occasion because i hate the clique feeling of the staff/regulars. it isn't a problem if its kinda busy, but i like chill bars. on the chill nights, they hang out at the corner of the bar making fun of people and it always feels like i'm being a dick by ordering a drink aka taking them away from their friends.

still i'm glad its one block from my house.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:12 am 

Dark Star is full of the kind of people I was stuck in high school with (some I actually did go to school with). I've been a few times, and it's got a nice atmosphere if you can ignore the cliquish vibe that Paul talks about.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:50 pm 

momofliggins wrote:
Dark Star is full of the kind of people I was stuck in high school with (some I actually did go to school with). I've been a few times, and it's got a nice atmosphere if you can ignore the cliquish vibe that Paul talks about.

wow...this is exactly the vibe i've gotten from there. anyone else i ever asked about it said they didn't notice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:51 am 
Forum Super Soldier

posting with dreams of a fantasy factory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I am fine with Dark Star. If you can't talk shit with people, that means you're just not going there often enough. Gotta build a rapport at any neighborhood bar. I am a cougar, though, so maybe I'm biased.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:49 pm 
Message Bored Minion

[quote="Andrew Jacob"]I have been thinking about looking into trying to find a cheap warehouse or something like that in southern indiana my whole family has a bunch of shit they need a place to store shit, know bands need a place to practice, want some were to put some skate ramps and what not inside. Also guessing jamie is looking for some where to do his screen printing and I think I remember Duncan and some one else wanting to do a studio. People should let me know what they need and what they are willing to pay

Dude, people stick up their noses at Indiana sometimes. I think there needs to be some punk shows here in Jeff, or New Albany. I would be willing to throw some money into that idea. - Johny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:44 pm 
Master and Commander

It would be rad if someone would do another venue in the old armory quad. The Soundstick and the 540 ruled.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:15 am 
Message Bored Minion

Think I remember seeing Four Rose Society @ the 540, it was pretty damn cool!
I haven't really gone over this entire thread, and I plan to. But does anyone have any ideas as to where would be a couple of prime locations for a new venue? I am dead serious about looking into something, and dedicating some time and money to the core. Like minded individuals, we should unite and get something going. For realsies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next