It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 am

Post subject: Venues
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:57 pm 
N00Benstein

With Skull Alley soon closing what all ages venues are left for upcoming bands? My band has played at The Hideaway Saloon, The Rudyard Kipling, Highlands Taproom, and a few other 21 and over spots. Where are the all ages venues? Who can I contact for booking?

Happy new year and merry xmas to all!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Venues
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:29 pm 
Message Bored Minion

It would be totally awesome if the bulldog cafe came back. Hey its in Fairdale but people would go off at shows!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:34 pm 
Master and Commander

xIsoldOUTx wrote:
It would be totally awesome if the bulldog cafe came back. Hey its in Fairdale but people would go off at shows!

Sike.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:24 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

Bryan should make this a sticky so we can all stay updated when houses shut down, venues become available...etc.

If you can find somebody to front the money or you're willing to do it yourself, Keswick Democratic Hall on Logan St. has always been a consistently good place that does all ages shows and allows beer for the 21+ crowd. I believe the rental cost is somewhere between $100 and $200, plus the cost of renting a PA, unless you know somebody that has one. This is the best place to host hardcore shows and anything aggressive where people will be moving around a lot, since it's a big open room and it's hard to break. Just make sure the bathrooms don't get tagged and you'll be okay. This place loves the hardcore scene - anybody who has been around will notice they've paved the parking lot, built flower beds, and tons of other stuff with the money they've made doing business with shows. Shows here in September are a no go, though. Something about a Fish Fry.

(Side note on Keswick if anybody is interested in trying to really pick up regular booking on this place - save up about $400 to keep as a general fund for show costs as well as paying bands out of pocket if you need to, buy a PA or rent it monthly, and you can pretty much run the show here. Pay bands, and try to keep the bank around what you started with. It's a good system that has worked for at least a few people in the past. The Last Saturday shows at Keswick and the golden years of that place worked on that system, as far as I can tell. The more you work with Keswick, and the more professionally you handle your dealings with them, the nicer they probably will be to you, and the easier it will be to book shows. If you can do it, go for it, and don't forget to fucking promote with paper flyers and posters!)

St John's (I think) on Market St. is actually one of the nicer places to play in town. I've always heard that they're easy to work with and reasonably priced. In addition, they have a pretty ideal setup for shows...one smaller room downstairs to play in, with a kitchen / mess hall type deal to store equipment and load in right next door. They also have a bigger room upstairs where Shellac played a couple of years ago, and if memory serves, both rooms are loud as fuck and sound awesome. Not Skull Alley awesome, but they'll do. Don't book shows here where people will mosh - they have stuff that people might break. You need your own PA for this place, too.

Sometimes the best attended all ages shows are primarily house shows. There are at least 3 good houses in town doing shows. One's in the south end, one's in the Highlands, and one is downtown. Danny O'Connell and Nick Haynes could point you in the right direction for at least two of them. I'm not sure who lives in the Chestnut house. Could representatives post some contact info for bands looking for shows? The only major drawback to house shows is that it's sometimes hard to collect money for touring bands, so if you do a show at a house, either decide to take donations only (which usually fucks the bands) or be a hardass and figure out a way to get 5 bucks out of everybody without being a total dick. Chestnut Street and the House of Wax are both places where it would be easy to do this, since there's only one way in and out to see the bands, so please do this if there's a band on tour. It makes a huge difference in their tour, and if you want them to come back, then take care of them. Keep people inside to avoid the fuzz, share gear to make the show move faster if possible, keep drinking low key if possible...you know the drill. The people at these houses actually have their shit together, which is awesome.

Rudyard Kipling has been known to do 18+ shows on occasion, but you'd have to talk to Ken about it. I'm not a huge fan of the stage setup there and it sucks for loud music, and I think they shelve the booze for these shows, but I could be wrong. Not sure how much they ask for, but I think it's a door deal. Not a good venue for aggressive shows, or loud music for that matter, but if you're an indie rock band and you want to do 18+ show, this isn't a bad place to do it. The sound is fair, but they love the shit out of high frequencies.

Has anybody asked at Spinelli's about doing all ages shows? Something tells me that there's at least a chance that they might go for it. That room might kind of suck, but since kids aren't super violent and are mostly respectful these days, it could be an option. There are other restaurants around town that might be talked into doing shows, but that might be a stretch.

Ear-X-tacy is pretty down on their money these days. You might be able to talk them into doing in-stores for something special if you've got a record to release, though it's not really a great, consistent option for all ages shows. I feel like if they offered something up this alley it might help both our situations out, though.

The 9:30 Listening Room at Sojourn might be an option. I kind of doubt it, but it's worth looking into if you get desperate.

Speaking of desperate, if you don't mind working with people who are batshit insane, I've heard that the Brick House is an...option. They're known for not having their shit together though, so buyer beware. If you do a show here, agree on money deals up front, preferably in writing, and expect something weird to happen at the very least. If you're not a punk band, steer clear of this place.

Welcome to the post Skull Alley show situation. You get to work your ass off again to make punk rock happen...at least people have opened punk houses that do shows. They used to be so far and few in between that it was next to impossible to make them happen. Hopefully people are respectful, the people running the shows run them smart, and they operate until some new all ages option that doesn't suck comes along. The Legion of Doom, a house in Columbus, has been operating for close to 15 years now and running. As long as you have a decent landlord, at least one person who is willing to be a responsible anchor to keep the house "in the family", and a set of rules that work without alienating people, congratulations! You have a punk house that will probably be a cornerstone of Louisville's punk community for a long time. Keep it going guys, and post any new leads up as you get them.

Last edited by no fun on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:46 pm 
N00Benstein

I've never personally been to a show at Uncle Pleasant's, but from the videos/pictures I've seen of shows there it looks like it could be a decent venue. Any opinions or input on that?

LOLZ to bulldog cafe reopening as well...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:29 pm 

Uncle P's is just a bar now. I don't think they do shows anymore.

Oh, the Sunergos in Old Louisville does shows. I think Peter Berkowitz is in charge of them?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:27 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

You got it.
no fun wrote:
Bryan should make this a sticky so we can all stay updated when houses shut down, venues become available...etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Last I heard uncle p's still does all ages shows, it's just expensive. Terry still does them from time to time there.

Third St. Dive is expanding into another space in February and will supposedly be 100-150 cap, but again that's a 21+ option.

Crescent Hill Baptist is open to doing shows again, they could just use some help with making the stage workable and you'd have to bring a decent pa to make that room sound good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:56 am 

I'd be willing to chip in for a general fund for shows at Keswick and a PA if you're interested in doing shows again, Jamie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:25 am 
Forum Super Soldier

no fun wrote:
Rudyard Kipling has been known to do 18+ shows on occasion, but you'd have to talk to Ken about it. I'm not a huge fan of the stage setup there and it sucks for loud music, and I think they shelve the booze for these shows, but I could be wrong. Not sure how much they ask for, but I think it's a door deal. Not a good venue for aggressive shows, or loud music for that matter, but if you're an indie rock band and you want to do 18+ show, this isn't a bad place to do it. The sound is fair, but they love the shit out of high frequencies.

we played at the rud a few months ago, and even at loud volumes things sounded pretty good. so i understand it, they played around with different placements of the bands and PA speakers to make the best out of the acoustics

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:02 pm 
Darth Crabcore

no fun wrote:
Welcome to the post Skull Alley show situation. You get to work your ass off again to make punk rock happen...at least people have opened punk houses that do shows. They used to be so far and few in between that it was next to impossible to make them happen. Hopefully people are respectful, the people running the shows run them smart, and they operate until some new all ages option that doesn't suck comes along. The Legion of Doom, a house in Columbus, has been operating for close to 15 years now and running. As long as you have a decent landlord, at least one person who is willing to be a responsible anchor to keep the house "in the family", and a set of rules that work without alienating people, congratulations! You have a punk house that will probably be a cornerstone of Louisville's punk community for a long time. Keep it going guys, and post any new leads up as you get them.

This.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:42 pm 
Master and Commander

no fun wrote:
Oh, the Sunergos in Old Louisville does shows. I think Peter Berkowitz is in charge of them?

From what i can tell, they pretty much stick to acoustic singer/songwriter type stuff. but it seems like everyone that works there is cool and open-minded and would be pretty open to the idea of a louder show. plus, you get one free drink for playing there, but there is no door, so you have to work donations and merch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:12 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

i dont have anything to contribute really. i just want to make two points.

1. as long as it doesnt become dead, less shows is something this town needs.

2. the legion of doom in columbus has been doing shows non stop since the late 70s. maybe the people adam talked to have been there 15 years, but the house has been a punk house since the 70s. the ramones, smashing pumpkins, i think misifts, and a slew of other bands you cant imagine playing house shows have played there. its been handed down so to say from generation to generation. at least thats the story i got from them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:25 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I think that Uncle Pleasants is an awesome venue. It's mainly T. Harper that books there, but the show room is awesome. Lots of space, good stage, and the sound is always pretty good. I wish more shows would go there...they should be cheaper than whatever they are, because I drive by it every day and there is never anyone there unless there's a hardcore show.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:47 pm 

XloydtilldeathX666 wrote:
i dont have anything to contribute really. i just want to make two points.

1. as long as it doesnt become dead, less shows is something this town needs.

2. the legion of doom in columbus has been doing shows non stop since the late 70s. maybe the people adam talked to have been there 15 years, but the house has been a punk house since the 70s. the ramones, smashing pumpkins, i think misifts, and a slew of other bands you cant imagine playing house shows have played there. its been handed down so to say from generation to generation. at least thats the story i got from them.

1. That's going to happen due to Skull Alley being closed, but yeah, seems like the shows I've heard about lately have had solid lineups, and those are the ones people want to go see.

2. Shit, I did not know that. And that is pretty rad...I guess it makes sense. The landlord works at Alabama Thunderpussy, and that place has probably been going for a while. That dude Jimmy that used to be in Memento Mori is the guy that has lived there the longest out of the batch of people living there now. Point being, there has to be a person in the house that serves that purpose if you want it to keep going. Gotta pass the torch to somebody else who is reliable if you plan on leaving.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:49 pm 

MWISOTZ wrote:
I think that Uncle Pleasants is an awesome venue. It's mainly T. Harper that books there, but the show room is awesome. Lots of space, good stage, and the sound is always pretty good. I wish more shows would go there...they should be cheaper than whatever they are, because I drive by it every day and there is never anyone there unless there's a hardcore show.

I like it, too. I really wish that the last Melvins show that came through would have been in Uncle Pleasant's. It's a really intimate room since it has a low ceiling, and the sound is great since the band is RIGHT THERE. High on Fire there was amazing. I wish that the room was cheaper and that they did more shows for local bands / would shelve the bar and do an all ages show / could serve booze and be all ages.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:54 pm 

Nightmare Music wrote:
no fun wrote:

we played at the rud a few months ago, and even at loud volumes things sounded pretty good. so i understand it, they played around with different placements of the bands and PA speakers to make the best out of the acoustics

I haven't played a show there in about 2 years, but the last one I remember playing there was just...super bright. I'm sure it didn't help that I was playing out of Sunn Concert Leads. When the Octopus Project played the Last Call Film Festival, they sounded great. The room is good when bands were playing in the back...we played in the middle facing east and it sounded weird.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:46 am 
Forum Super Soldier

I have been thinking about looking into trying to find a cheap warehouse or something like that in southern indiana my whole family has a bunch of shit they need a place to store shit, know bands need a place to practice, want some were to put some skate ramps and what not inside. Also guessing jamie is looking for some where to do his screen printing and I think I remember Duncan and some one else wanting to do a studio. People should let me know what they need and what they are willing to pay so I can get my dad on the look out for something he knows and deals with alot business owners ect.

BORED2TEARZ wrote:
i am obviously the dumb mogwai in Another Mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:23 pm 
Message Bored Minion

Andrew Jacob wrote:
I have been thinking about looking into trying to find a cheap warehouse or something like that in southern indiana my whole family has a bunch of shit they need a place to store shit, know bands need a place to practice, want some were to put some skate ramps and what not inside. Also guessing jamie is looking for some where to do his screen printing and I think I remember Duncan and some one else wanting to do a studio. People should let me know what they need and what they are willing to pay so I can get my dad on the look out for something he knows and deals with alot business owners ect.

i'm backing this the hardest out of all the ideas so far. i'm trying to get louisiville hardcore on a board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:15 pm 
N00Benstein

Depending on the type of music, Land of Tomorrow hosts all ages events. More experimental-leaning stuff is probably most appropriate as it's an art gallery and that's just kinda the name of the game - with original art on the walls, it's understandable they'd prefer the chin-strokers over the thrashers. I've really enjoyed shows there, though, despite the echo-laden acoustics.

zombo.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:58 pm 
Message Bored Minion

kennybloggins wrote:
Depending on the type of music, Land of Tomorrow hosts all ages events. More experimental-leaning stuff is probably most appropriate as it's an art gallery and that's just kinda the name of the game - with original art on the walls, it's understandable they'd prefer the chin-strokers over the thrashers. I've really enjoyed shows there, though, despite the echo-laden acoustics.

Sounds like a good fit for the kinda stuff my group's been doin'. Although that warehouse thing that is being spoke of in this thread also sounds like a promising idea.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:12 pm 
Message Bored Minion

Andrew Jacob wrote:

This sounds amazing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:27 am 
Message Bored Minion

kLucius wrote:
xIsoldOUTx wrote:

Sike.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 pm 
Master and Commander

I'll go ahead and add to this.

First off, Uncle Pleasants is a shithole. Don't book there unless you want a severe headache and you have money to pay. We were going to do the Bush League/Indignant Few show there, however, the following occured:

Over the process of 2 months, the owner failed to show up to several shows. The sound man showed up, the promoter showed up, and that's it. There was also an incident where he did in fact show up, 2 hours late, to unlock the building, then promptly left only to return a few hours later to stiff the bands/promoter. Old Vikings played an ill-fated show there with an amazing 2 piece metal band called Beast in the Field, which no one showed up to. There was a promotional omgfuckup...as in the "promoter" handed us flyers 4 days before the show and then skipped our show to go to another show. It was a lovely evening. At the end of the evening, what little door money was taken was held by the owner to pay his "overhead". Thankfully, we got the bands some money so they could be on their way. Point of this is, the owner is a sleazeball. Anyone old enough to remember what this means: He's just like Charlie from Primizzi's. Anyone not old enough to remember, just deal with that place if you know for a fact you're going to make good money on the door, because he'll want at least 200 of it. Also, if you do a show there, demand your own person work the door. That's if you want to do a 21 and over show where they make money on liquor. If you decide to try an all ages show there, don't. I expect they will ask for money up front, at which point you're already better off with KDC. They have a nice PA, but you gotta pay whoever they bring in to run it, and i'm fairly certain it has to be a union soundguy. Anymore, the only shows that are really gonna do well there are gonna be bigger national shows, otherwise it just costs too much. And that's assuming they are even still open. I believe they were or are in foreclosure. Maybe someone less sleazeball will buy it. And turn it into a Barcade. That does awesome all ages shows.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:09 am 

Doug Walker wrote:
Maybe someone less sleazeball will buy it. And turn it into a Barcade. That does awesome all ages shows.

If only I had $150,000 sitting around.