It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Venues
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:31 pm 
Message Bored Minion

Also for the record The Mammoth is tight. I went there for the COK music video and it looked so tight in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:55 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

FWIW, that dude at the Haymarket is PMing every Louisville band looking to get shows booked there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

evenmoregeneric wrote:
FWIW, that dude at the Haymarket is PMing every Louisville band looking to get shows booked there.

if its still the asshole that owned Derby City Espresso, fuck that guy forever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 pm 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

Same owner/operator.
Paul Watkins wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:17 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I never really liked going to shows in the old setup but my understanding is the new setup is much better. I don't know the owner but I had a roommate (who was a habitual liar and stole from both my landlord and I) who was apparently good friends with the guy, so I'm predisposed not to like him. Maybe she was lying about their friendship though too. What's your gripe Paul? Curious if it's worth giving him money or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 pm 

sabo wrote:
I never really liked going to shows in the old setup but my understanding is the new setup is much better. I don't know the owner but I had a roommate (who was a habitual liar and stole from both my landlord and I) who was apparently good friends with the guy, so I'm predisposed not to like him. Maybe she was lying about their friendship though too. What's your gripe Paul? Curious if it's worth giving him money or not.

he's the dude that would troll the HBC facebook making shitty comments, told parent's of someone in a band that "water isn't free" and that they "didn't have cofffee, only espresso" and was just generally a shit dude. tons of people have had run-ins with him. thats why Reading Group never played there, and why Fast Friends never will (despite him sending us the same shit he sends to every other band in town every few months).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:34 pm 
N00Benstein

Hello all,

I book for Haymarket primarily and other some venues as well. I assure things are much better at Haymarket now. We have a giant private venue area in the back with good sound gear. Our recent shows have been awesome and very fun, with bands praising the venue. I know the owner may have had issues with some people in the past but I assure it's all good now, and he is the first person to make sure bands get paid and have a good time. I run sound for every show I book there and do not take money from the bands, something I have personally experienced dealing with dick sound dudes. I only care that the bands are happy, sound good and have a great experience, the same experience and respect I would want my own band to receive from a venue. We have even started to do all ages shows with our first show having a killer line up of Whips/Chains, All Dead, and Permanent Night. Can't wait for this, it's going to rule. So please hear me, any bands interested in playing Haymarket, contact ME first. I will take care of you. Email request to derbyunderground@gmail.com. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:18 am 
Forum Super Soldier

flexyournoggin wrote:
Same owner/operator.
Paul Watkins wrote:

I agree.
TOTAL fucking dick
I would rather not EVER give that guy a fucking penny, for ANY reason.

Every single time I've been in there, that guy was rude and obnoxious.
Last time we went, which will definitely be the last time, was to support some friends who were playing music and showing art and the best that guy could do was be a condescending , smart ass fucking douche, insulting us to our faces for everything from asking questions about his beer list, to the beers we ordered, to inquiring about buying art. It's one thing to be rude to me, but another to be rude to my partner, especially when the biggest crime she has committed was asking who to hand the cash over to for the art she wants to buy. Fuck him. I hope he closes down, becomes destitute and resorts to sucking cock for money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:56 am 

SEVERS wrote:
It's one thing to be rude to me, but another to be rude to my partner, especially when the biggest crime she has committed was asking who to hand the cash over to for the art she wants to buy.

One time, when Rachelle was visiting Louisville, I chose to take her for coffee at DCE one morning. She ordered a coffee and owner dude said, "If you want a corporate-ass cup of coffee, you can get it from fucking McDonald's."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 am 

yeah, i don't care who is booking there as long as the owner still runs the place. not worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 pm 
N00Benstein

Everything bad said about that guy is probably true. I know from experience of his dickishness. My old roommate worked for him when it turned into Haymarket and claimed that he made things very uncomfortable for her with sexual passes, unethical practices, and a host of other complaints. I doubt very much that he has changed.

Has he told you about all his trips abroad yet???!!! It's super interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 am 

Quote:
Gripes

All personal issues with the guy aside...it's a pretty awesome spot. I went when Eric Snider was bartending to check it out and it feels all right. Despite people's problems with Matt Landon, I think he's good at running a business - otherwise the place wouldn't still exist - and people should probably get over it. It's certainly lightyears beyond Cahoots, which is a shithole, and it's not the devil, as many are making it out to be.

I can understand not liking the place based on some personal experiences with Mr. Landon, as those seem to be consistent and coming from people whose word I trust, but I've never had any bad dealings with the guy on a business level, having done several shows there when it was still Haymarket. I realize that he's essentially figured out that Haymarket can swoop in and fill the void that was left by Skull Alley, but I don't see where that's necessarily some kind of grievious error on his part.

Basically, attend shows at the place or don't, but I don't think anybody should be discouraged from setting stuff up there if you need a show that needs a bar attached to it. Chestnut House is probably always going to be the best option for the punx, but this place isn't bad. And yeah, Landon might come across as sort of a douche, but whatever. Nothing's perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm 

do you realize that Chestnut isn't doing shows anymore?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 pm 

All the more reason to appreciate the options that actually do exist, then.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 am 

I'm just at the point in my life where I'm not stressing about playing tons of local shows, so I absolutely wouldn't compromise and play a venue ran by someone I think sucks. I've never said anything bad about the space itself, I'm sure it rules.

Chestnut hasn't done shows in a pretty long time. I'm surprised you missed that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:31 pm 
Message Bored Minion

SEVERS wrote:
flexyournoggin wrote:
Same owner/operator.
Paul Watkins wrote:

I agree.
TOTAL fucking dick
I would rather not EVER give that guy a fucking penny, for ANY reason.

Every single time I've been in there, that guy was rude and obnoxious.
Last time we went, which will definitely be the last time, was to support some friends who were playing music and showing art and the best that guy could do was be a condescending , smart ass fucking douche, insulting us to our faces for everything from asking questions about his beer list, to the beers we ordered, to inquiring about buying art. It's one thing to be rude to me, but another to be rude to my partner, especially when the biggest crime she has committed was asking who to hand the cash over to for the art she wants to buy. Fuck him. I hope he closes down, becomes destitute and resorts to sucking cock for money.

I've had a few run ins with that guy...none of them were good. Ill never forget the last time When me and a good friend got kicked out of a teeth show years ago when it was derby city espresso. We weren't belligerent or anything and the dude was being a dick to us all night for no good reason. Somehow when we got taken outside, the dude was fronting like he wanted to fight my buddy who proceeded to lightly punch him in the face before it was broken up. It was pretty hilarious. We left and I haven't been back since. I think the friend of mine who was with me actually made amends somewhat with the guy but he and I still don't like him very much.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Quote:
I think he's good at running a business - otherwise the place wouldn't still exist

Or maybe it's an endless trust fund...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:48 am 
Forum Super Soldier

ML himself told me he took on a backer when the place was rebranded because DCE wasn't making enough money. I wouldn't assume anything about this dude's business accumen- Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:37 pm 
N00Benstein

Hey all,

Since we're already talking about Haymarket in this thread...

Zach Hart and I have been helping with some of the booking there, or at least dates that Wasted Youth or others don't have anything, and we're open to all sorts of show ideas. Beyond the door money, well attended shows will see a kickback of the bar. We have weekend dates available right now, so feel free to hit me up - michael@doppelgangmedia.com.

Some recent shows we've done include White Reaper/Nerves Junior/Sea Hero, The Deloreans and Debauchees, Sidewalk Chalk and Jenna Dean, Yonatan Gat of MONOTONIX, Jonathan Glenn Wood w/ Black Birds of Paradise, a mini-avant garde fest, and a few others. Definitely want to get some more punk and noise stuff in the room.

zombo.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5