It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 am

Post subject: Tell me about Evergreen.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:01 pm 
Message Bored Minion

What do you all know about this band? I know they are defunct, but describe the music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:54 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

I'm not going to able to describe them as well as others here might, for one cause my brain ain't workin so good today. I will say the older version sounds different from the newer, some people don't like the newer, but I think both are equally great. Tim Ruth's guitar playin is evident in both.

Do you mean you've never heard them? or just lookin for others' opinions or what? Bryan V. had (the older version of) Evergreen's Go Kart Ride mp3s up here a couple months back. Insound has a dl of "Plastic Bag" if you want it http://www.insound.com/mp3/mp3s.php?searchby=Evergreen

As far as the s/t album goes, it's worth a purchase, as are the 7"s if/when you can find em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:47 pm 
Shen-Long of the Internet

This is a link to buy their last CD which was re released some time ago. It's my favorite. RIGHT HERE You can probably get this album at ear x tacy as well. The older out of print stuff that was released on Self Destruct in 92-93 was different but still good. More groovy dancy kind of stuff with aggressive buildups flowing into a type of rhythmic chaos. Think Oblong Box meets the Minutemen. Guitar player, Tim Ruth wrote/still writes (?) some catchy, catchy stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 am 
N00Benstein

Evergreen had 2 distinct eras; the Dave Pollard era, and the Kyle McGlaghlin era. They had two completely different sounds. The Dave era was arguably the more "fun", and the Kyle era was agruable the best "music". Their final CD should be considered a Louisville classic, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:45 am 
Vegeta of the innarwebs

Theodopolis wrote:
Evergreen had 2 distinct eras; the Dave Pollard era, and the Kyle McGlaghlin era. They had two completely different sounds. The Dave era was arguably the more "fun", and the Kyle era was agruable the best "music". Their final CD should be considered a Louisville classic, IMO.

i thnk you mean sean, not kyle. kyle mclaughlin was in twin peaks, dune, blue velvet... sex in the city...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:20 pm 
N00Benstein

coreyfuckinlyons wrote:
Theodopolis wrote:

i thnk you mean sean, not kyle. kyle mclaughlin was in twin peaks, dune, blue velvet... sex in the city...

holy shit, you're right.

Now I'm picturing Kyle Mc singing for Undermine, which is funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:32 pm 
Message Bored Minion

Theodopolis wrote:
Evergreen had 2 distinct eras; da Dave Pollard era, and da Sean McGlaghlin era. They had two completely different sounds. da Dave era was arguably da more "fun", and da "Sean" era was agruable da best "music". Their final CD should be considered a Louisville classic, IMO.

Gotta agrue, I mean argue this. Dave Pollard era was much more energetic, and frankly just better. I never really saw the hype in the 7"s and that joke of a record they put out on Hi-Ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:38 am 

The Dave Pollard era was good I agree, but I strongly disagree that those songs were better than the songs on the Highball Record. Why? Well, the main reason is the drums. While Matt Tucker could seriously throw down some fast, intricate beats, Britt Walford's solid, steady, grooves were much catchier. Not to mention that Sean Mclaughlin was a ten times better singer/performer than just about anyone in this town, ever. I saw both eras live multiple times and judging from those experiences, the later Evergreen was by far the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:39 pm 
Message Bored Minion

quasar wrote:
teh Dave Pollard era was good I agree, but I strongly disagree that those songs were better than teh songs on teh Highball Record. Why? Well, teh main reason is teh drums. While Matt Tucker could seriously throw down some fast, intricate beats, Britt Walford's solid, steady, grooves were much catchier. Not to mention that Sean Mclaughlin was a ten times better singer/performer than just about anyone in this town, ever. I saw both eras live multiple times and judging from those experiences, teh later Evergreen was by far teh best.

To each his own I guess. Later Evergreen just seemed like a bunch of drunks to me, Britt Walford or no. Early Evergreen seems like it had alot more enthusiasm. But we'll agree to disagree. It's all about circle pits and go-go dancers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:46 pm 

ECSean wrote:
quasar wrote:
teh Dave Pollard era was good I agree, but I strongly disagree that those songs were better than teh songs on teh Highball Record. Why? Well, teh main reason is teh drums. While Matt Tucker could seriously throw down some fast, intricate beats, Britt Walford's solid, steady, grooves were much catchier. Not to mention that Sean Mclaughlin was a ten times better singer/performer than just about anyone in this town, ever. I saw both eras live multiple times and judging from those experiences, teh later Evergreen was by far teh best.

To each his own I guess. Later Evergreen just seemed like a bunch of drunks to me, Britt Walford or no. Early Evergreen seems like it had alot more enthusiasm. But we'll agree to disagree. It's all about circle pits and go-go dancers.

I agree about the enthusiasm. The later version was very, "man, like whoa..." Either way, I wish Tim and Troy were still rockin' in some form. They were great songwriters in any era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:55 pm 
N00Benstein

I remember when "Evergreen" was "Cinderblock".

Anyway, the first incarnation was "more fun", I agree. The second version of the band was arguably (look up "arguably") better, musically.

as far as what those guys are up to these days, Troy is a school teacher now. Not sure about the other fellas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:26 am 
Forum Super Soldier

the Pollard era evergreen/cinderblock era was better...at least for me. Agressive and pissed. the later stuff was good but the agression was gone. It was two different eras i guess. I think there was a plan in the late 90's to release an Pollard era discography on noise pollution complete with reunion...which like most things louisville....shadily fell through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:00 pm 
Message Bored Minion

Theodopolis wrote:

I remember when Cinderblock were RrevenantT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:39 pm 
is it okay if I put up an animated avatar on my profile?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm 
Sean Mclaughlin was a better front man for certain, but that incarnation of Evergreen was completely different than the Pollard era. But who can forget Kirby? haha.

GO KIRBY GO!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:04 pm 
well, gonna voice my opinion since I saw almost every show and spent much of my teenage time around Tim, Sean, and Matt.
i very much believe Dave was a better front man. they both sang equally as good on recordings, but Dave was more on top of it LIVE where as Sean at least 25% of the time was too fucked up to even sing in key. I think Dave had much more control over his voice and mental capacity. And he could control the peoples much better and had a more likeable personailty. As far drums, Matt was more creative, Brit was tighter. And somebody completely left out the metal version of Cinderblock. The original drummer was Gary Brooks. The original singer was Don Torrance. Any of the recordings as either band should be history for sure, with no preference to the line-up. ENERGY was the key to Evergreen with Dave Pollard. Evergreen after that was on a steady decline downward as far as energy goes. They eve slowed down half their songs, where as the Chicago Recording was way faster. Cinderblock WAS originally a very metal band.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:05 pm 
Let's Make This Post Legendary

dirty_dave wrote:
As far drums, Matt was more creative

Hell yeah - Matt was insane. I used to watch him play all the time and try to figure out the fast beats in "Blood".

dirty_dave wrote:
Cinderblock WAS originally a very metal band.

Who can forget Tim and his B.C. Rich warlock -- at least I think it was a warlock.

Post subject: Re: Tell me about Evergreen.
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:01 pm 
Yeah, it was a Warlock. Hehe. Tim back then was a poster child for Warlock. That guitar was as mean looking as he was. =)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:01 am 
N00Benstein

This brings back sooo many memories.

Tim did look mean but he was as nice a person as you can find.

They were one of my absolute favorite local bands to go and see. Usually they were nice enough to let my sister and I (and 50 other people) jump around on stage with them. So many times my body came close to being impaled by Tim's guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:21 am 
Message Bored Minion

I was away at grad school during Evergreen's heyday. The only band I regret not having seen perform live more would be Queen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:23 pm 
N00Benstein

What follows is an attempt to tell people about Evergreen:

http://premesso.newcontrarian.com/2011/08/07/evergreen/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

velch wrote:
What follows is an attempt to tell people about Evergreen:

http://premesso.newcontrarian.com/2011/08/07/evergreen/

"Attempt" is correct, and "failing to do so" is also correct.
Inaccurate to say the least. Completely lopsided, full of misinformation, relying on opinion rather than fact, and obviously biased. But whatever.

Personally, all versions of this band were great. If I had a choice, which I did not, I would have voted that they just be called different things so as to avoid pointless and silly "conversations" like this one, and especially the completely maddening "articles" such as the one I have from Mojo (from the time period of the Slint reunions) that states that Evergreen was created as a vehicle for Britts post Slint rock or some other such nonsense.

Matt was a genius of a drummer, and clearly, so is Britt. Dave was great, so was Sean. The real glue that made the magic was undeniably Tim, who sadly didn't have an opportunity to take part in the "reunion".

Meh. I listen to it all religiously. Truly one of the greats. In Louisville or any other city.

Buy the incomplete discography from Noise Pollution and buy the re issue from Devines label and decide for yourself. If you're honest with yourself, you just may actually like BOTH.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 am 
N00Benstein

SEVERS wrote:
Inaccurate to say the least. Completely lopsided, full of misinformation, relying on opinion rather than fact, and obviously biased. But whatever.

We're free to disagree about which version of the band was better. I agree that it would have been less confusing if the name change had reflected the lineup change.

I freely admit that the post is opinionated and biased. It's meant to be an opinion piece. But all facts such as release dates, names, record labels and clubs were judiciously checked, and it's incorrect to say they're inaccurate or misinformation.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:16 am 
Message Bored Minion

papaw wrote:
Theodopolis wrote:

I remember when Cinderblock were RrevenantT.

One of the first shows I remember going to was Revenant in '88 or '89 at Swiss Hall.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:10 pm 
Forum Super Soldier

velch wrote:
SEVERS wrote:

We're free to disagree about which version of the band was better. I agree that it would have been less confusing if the name change had reflected the lineup change.

I freely admit that the post is opinionated and biased. It's meant to be an opinion piece. But all facts such as release dates, names, record labels and clubs were judiciously checked, and it's incorrect to say they're inaccurate or misinformation.

"First and only record" - incorrect, inaccurate.