It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Post subject: Re: Tell me about Evergreen.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:39 am 
N00Benstein

SEVERS wrote:
velch wrote:
SEVERS wrote:
Inaccurate to say the least. Completely lopsided, full of misinformation, relying on opinion rather than fact, and obviously biased. But whatever.

We're free to disagree about which version of the band was better. I agree that it would have been less confusing if the name change had reflected the lineup change.

I freely admit that the post is opinionated and biased. It's meant to be an opinion piece. But all facts such as release dates, names, record labels and clubs were judiciously checked, and it's incorrect to say they're inaccurate or misinformation.

"First and only record" - incorrect, inaccurate.

First and only record with that lineup is implied. As you wrote, it's silly to think of them as the same band.

By record I mean full-length. We both know well that version that was primarily known as Cinderblock released a cassette and a 7".

One dubious 'error' is hardly 'full of misinformation.' I recognize that the earlier version of Evergreen with Matt and Dave is dear to most people on this board, but just because the piece is more sympathetic to the later version doesn't mean that it's lopsided or misinformed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:59 am 
N00Benstein

Quote:
"First and only record" - incorrect, inaccurate.

This also is not what I wrote, which was "Evergreen’s self-titled, and only, record".

That there was much to like about Cinderblock/Evergreen I don't deny. Obviously I found more to like about the later version, which is why I wrote about them.

Perhaps someone who feels that the first version isn't getting their due could write about them as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:56 am 
Master and Commander

Early Evergreen is the only evergreen i really care for.

When I describe it to the uninitiated, I usually say "Imagine if Fugazi was a party band..."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:29 am 
FATBERG AHOY, CAPTAIN

I just listen to "Avarice" on repeat. I don't know what any of you all are talking about.

(I'm actually serious, not being a smartass)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:57 pm 
Vegeta of the innarwebs

fuck yeah. found an unopened copy of the (britt walford evergreen) s/t LP for $15 on the eBayz.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:23 am 
Forum Super Soldier

Did anyone record the show they played at the Rocket House with John Daniels playing keyboards? I would like to hear it to see if it was really as mind-blowing as I remember it to be.

Drinking and playing music is like drinking and playing pool . . . There is a golden window (depending on your tolerance, between 2-4 drinks for me) where you are a little loosened up and it can be beneficial- More than that and it becomes massively detrimental. (If anyone was at the Halloween party in Mark Palgy's basement where Nero attempted to play a Sabbath cover set- I apologize. That was the one time I was too drunk to perform and it was a disaster.) Later Evergreen live shows often suffered from the fact that Sean was way too drunk to perform, which was made even more sad because the vocals mostly consisted of yelling 'Yeah!' a lot.

Both versions were awesome, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 am 
Vegeta of the innarwebs

evenmoregeneric wrote:
Drinking and playing music is like drinking and playing pool . . . There is a golden window (depending on your tolerance, between 2-4 drinks for me) where you are a little loosened up and it can be beneficial- More than that and it becomes massively detrimental.

absolutely backed. i always regret one of our record release shows where we got a little too excited and we were well past the 2-4 drink golden window. lesson learned though!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:50 am 
Forum Super Soldier

There is that matter of maintaining that delicate balance. Ever since I got tricked back into being in bands, and tricked into playing guitar, I've had the rule of getting on stage with just my second beer...though sometimes it's been my third. But that's because I suck on guitar in the first place.

For the counterpoint, listen to the B-side of Poke It With A Stick. My only duties in Your Food were yelping into the mike and remembering my own goddamn words. "Order" was the encore after a second set at Tewligan's, two-something in the morning. I know I was trashed, and the boys who actually had to play instruments weren't that far behind. We committed the cassette to vinyl because the results were among the most transcendentant 10+ minutes ever recorded, period.